What's new

The Wire on Bluray... Will it ever appear? (2 Viewers)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This is a disaster for those of who'd like to see the 4x3 era of television make its way to high definition in its original aspect ratio. It sends exactly the wrong message.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
This is a disaster for those of who'd like to see the 4x3 era of television make its way to high definition in its original aspect ratio. It sends exactly the wrong message.
I'm sure I've said it in other threads but while I'd prefer it were in the correct 4x3 aspect ratio, at least Simon & trusted associates were involved in the process and it's not cropped.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I'm sure I've said it in other threads but while I'd prefer it were in the correct 4x3 aspect ratio, at least Simon & trusted associates were involved in the process and it's not cropped.
That's not exactly true. It's cropped in places and opened up in places. Lots of care and attention when into the artistic compromises, but it doesn't change the fact that they're compromises.

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
Warner released the whole of ER on dvd in 16:9 . I wonder why the dvd's of The Wire are 4:3

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I'm still wondering why this show (shot on 16mm at 4:3) gets a BD release before HBO's Six Feet Under, which was originally broadcast in 16x9 HD? I don't feel any need to upgrade my The Wire DVD set, which looks great and maintains the OAR. But we've got Sopranos, where's Six Feet Under blu-ray?

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hollywoodaholic said:
I'm still wondering why this show (shot on 16mm at 4:3) gets a BD release before HBO's Six Feet Under, which was originally broadcast in 16x9 HD? I don't feel any need to upgrade my The Wire DVD set, which looks great and maintains the OAR. But we've got Sopranos, where's Six Feet Under blu-ray?

Okay, so I'm caving and trading in my DVD set for the Blu-ray set on The Wire. After extensive reviews and reading about how the original DPs framed for 16x9, plus the fact that it was shot in 35mm (and for some reason, I had throught 16mm), it just makes sense to embrace the BD on this one, the best novel of a series on television.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Yeah I agree on principle that this set spits in the eye of the OAR purists. No matter how good this remaster is, this isn't in its intended OAR.

However, I'm astounded at how much more of the frame is visible in the blu-ray with comparatively minimum cropping.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yeah, I went through the whole debate, explanations, and comments on the David Simon website and completely understand the trade-offs - lose OAR, get a better image - but I've seen the show a couple times already in 4:3 and look forward to enjoying it all over again in this 'alternate' version. And I've totally enjoyed seeing the 16x9 The X-Files on Netflix for the same reason.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Hollywoodaholic said:
The legacy of Six Feet Under isn't quite as strong as The Sopranos and The Wire - which constantly get named. When has the last time it got rerun on cable? Since before Bravo was into cooking and housewives?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks