What's new

The White Shadow (1 Viewer)

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
I know this is a bit of a long shot (no pun intended) but does anyone think that The White Shadow might get released some day?

Andy

Mick Tees

Second Unit
It was one of those gems of a show from the late 1970's into the early 80's. I can only hope that all of these shows some day will be on our shelves in the DVD format in complete season sets.

BJ and the Bear was another show from that same time period. I would like that one for my TV Shows on DVD collection too!

MM

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
The White Shadow was an MTM production, which means it is now owned by Fox. Fox hasn't released any MTM shows since the first season of Mary Tyler Moore.

I have to think that Fox eventually will start doing something with the MTM library, but clearly it's not a priority for them at this point.

James Thompson

Auditioning
I am a reader of the SportsGuy column by Bill Simmons on ESPN's Page 2, and he is a huge White Shadow fan. If I am not mistaken, he said that some of the White Shadow epsiodes are "missing" or "lost", so I am not sure we would ever see this entire series out on DVD. Can anyone verify this?

I did a lot of research on the internet after watching it on ESPN Classic a few years ago, and Classic seemed to show them in order according to the episode guides I found, but it did seem that they skipped some episodes.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
I've been hoping against hope that the current movie "Coach Carter" would spur some interest in "The White Shadow". With its subject matter, plus the fact that it's directed by Thomas Carter (who played Hayward on TWS), there seems to be a natural link back to the show, as many reviewers have also noted; here's one example:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/tex...3_coach14.html
At least TWS is getting these mentions in the press because of the movie, and we can only hope that it might stir both memories and interest in the show...

James Thompson

Auditioning
Has anyone come across a review of this DVD? I am curious if it is unedited. I have only ever watched the ESPN Classic versions they ran back in like 2000 and 2001.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
I have not seen a review but my copy was shipped today. Can't wait to start watching the episodes!

Andy

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator

Actually, The Bob Newhart Show Seasons 1 and 2 are now out on DVD. They were also MTM productions.

Jack

JeffWld

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone come across a review of this DVD? I am curious if it is unedited.
I just had time to check a few episodes and they were coming in around 48:10, which is about right. I noticed a few of the blacks had been pulled up tight as well (a la Universal).

Mick Tees

Second Unit
No way! I got Season One & Two for Christmas. My wife did one of those buy one get one free series on Deep Discount DVD.com

I'm watching episode one from Season One. I got to the theme song intro at the beginning and it started to skip. Polished it, tried it again and again.... DEFECTIVE DISC!

I checked Season Two and it's all good but I'm sending back Season One for a good set.

I'm not a big fan of double-sided discs. This happened to me before with Buck Rogers and the 25th Century.

Did this happen to anyone else?

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I purchased S2 of The White Shadow for a sweet deal. It has to be over 30 years since I have seen S2 and I must admit I was impressed with a few of the episodes, especially later episodes. The death of one of the basketball player was very touching, especially on how Coach Reeves handle the situation. I just hope that S3 will get released one day as way to finished the set. I realize S3 the show started to go down hill, but I would still like to have the set!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks