• Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This one is easy.

Everyone knows the film, and in 4k it takes on an added measure of horror.

Fun horror, but horror nonetheless.

Everything is in place in this release.

Color, densities, shadow detail, black (and white) levels, grain structure, stability.

Just grab a copy.

Image – 5 (HDR)

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4.5

Highly Recommended

RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
To be perfectly open with my readers, I received a communication today from The Dog Trainers Guild, taking exception with the digital removal of one of its members, who has appeared in the film since Day One, but has now been digitally erased.

The insult occurs at approximately 2:08-09.

I have been put on notice that there is objection, as the film is a different cut, and not original.

Please be advised.

Also, I have been advised that the Warner logo may be in Dolby Atmos, when the film is not. But no crawdads, so I can live with it.

Tino

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
To be perfectly open with my readers, I received a communication today from The Dog Trainers Guild, taking exception with the digital removal of one of its members, who has appeared in the film since Day One, but has now been digitally erased.

The insult occurs at approximately 2:08-09.

I have been put on notice that there is objection, as the film is a different cut, and not original.

Please be advised.

Also, I have been advised that the Warner logo may be in Dolby Atmos, when the film is not. But no crawdads, so I can live with it.
I have absolutely no idea if this is a joke or not. Again. ;)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
There’s a dog in the version streaming on HBOMax, which also looks like a new transfer to me.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
This is one of those “does this cross the line?” moments. It’s a case where they would have fixed it back in 1982 if they had had the tools to do it, but should they do it now? Other examples are like the technical malfunction causing a jittery scene in Out of Africa that was fixed years later with image stabilization.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This is one of those “does this cross the line?” moments. It’s a case where they would have fixed it back in 1982 if they had had the tools to do it, but should they do it now? Other examples are like the technical malfunction causing a jittery scene in Out of Africa that was fixed years later with image stabilization.
Yes, they probably should.

The only films I have a problem with changes of any type are AMPAS Best Picture winners. They should track to the frame, whenever possible.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think if the technology exists to fix actual "mistakes", then go for it. Visible people, equipment, and other things things that shouldn't be there like the disposable coffee cup in Game of Thrones, cars in the background of Middle Earth, etc. Fix 'em.

It's when they start replacing/updating effects (like Lucas with the SW films) just because the technology is "better" now, then I have issues. I saw Jaws in a theater for the first time a couple weeks back and it was great. I'd hate to see a version where they replaced the mechanical physical shark with CG. We have plenty of CG shark films and they seem almost more fake than Bruce in Jaws. Same with the physical FX in Poltergeist.

Richard Kaufman

Second Unit
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
There's an egregious error in "Scrooge" (Alastair Sim version) that I never noticed until someone spilled the beans, and now I can never unsee it. Considering when it occurs, it's disastrous. Good riddance to the dog trainer!

lark144

Screenwriter
Real Name
mark gross
I think if the technology exists to fix actual "mistakes", then go for it. Visible people, equipment, and other things things that shouldn't be there like the disposable coffee cup in Game of Thrones, cars in the background of Middle Earth, etc. Fix 'em.

It's when they start replacing/updating effects (like Lucas with the SW films) just because the technology is "better" now, then I have issues. I saw Jaws in a theater for the first time a couple weeks back and it was great. I'd hate to see a version where they replaced the mechanical physical shark with CG. We have plenty of CG shark films and they seem almost more fake than Bruce in Jaws. Same with the physical FX in Poltergeist.
Well, it depends. From my perspective, anyway. For instance, in THE DEVIL RIDES OUT, that astral projection in the beginning always looked cheesy and rough, and took me out of the film. They fixed it digitally, but it doesn't seem like a fix to me. It appears to be analog, and fits with all the other effects in the film. The film works much better now for me, because of it, and is way scarier. If they had the ability to do it properly then, they would have, so I have no problem with this.

On the other hand, that CGI monster in the tunnel at the end of THX1138 that George Lucas added renders the scene, a pivotal one, nonsensical. In the original version that opened in theaters, Robert Duval, on the run from the techno authorities, hears a strange, threatening electronic noise, and stares into the tunnel which appears to be empty, but that shot is held for a very long time as that electronic hum grows louder, and because a viewer doesn't know what's out there, sees only a dark, forbidding space, the very act of our looking along with the character become very tense and suspenseful. For me, it was one of the best scenes in the film, because it was left up to the imagination of the audience. But to put a cartoonish monster in that tunnel is absurd, it destroys the suspense, and makes the scene kind of silly, for the monster doesn't threaten Duvall or even comes any closer closer but just floats there, fake looking, resembling a giant etch-a-sketch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MJL
Recent bookmarks