"The Warriors"--anyone have an opinion on it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary_O, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Gary_O

Gary_O Stunt Coordinator

A coworker recommended this movie to me, anyone have an opinion on this movie? Is it a good blind buy? Is the transfer very good? Sound? etc

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

This film was made for about $7 - but this disc is the best it will probably ever look. I think it's wonderful- but unless you have a good sense of humor for absurd cultish films (Evil Dead for example)- then it probably won't make a good blind purchase.

-vince

3. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I purchased The Warriors blind and enjoyed it. But then again, I have weird tastes... [​IMG]

4. Peter Mazur

Peter Mazur Second Unit

I love this movie, although it is totally corny and horribly dated. The transfer is as Vince said probably the best it will look.

5. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

I enjoy this movie a lot, but yeah, it's dated.

Heck, a half-dozen of today's Crips would wipe out every gang in the film. [​IMG]

6. Chris Xolotl

Chris Xolotl Second Unit

Warriors.... come out an p--l--a--y---!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Marc_Savoie

Marc_Savoie Stunt Coordinator

I can dig it.
    The king of cult cinema!

8. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Uhh, Walter Hill (you know, the writer, director, producer guy... 48 Hrs, Alien...) made this for Paramount. The fight scene in the bathroom reportedly took a week to choreograph and film. Add in all the nite shoots, HUNDREDS of extras, wardrobe, permits required from the city and the MTA and you Hardly get a film made for $7.00!
    The cinematography is superb, the performances for the most part are good and it is quite entertaining and imaginative. Was never meant to be taken seriously, simply enjoyed as a comic-book film with an old western vibe, the gang fighting through hostile territory to get home.
    I would hardly call it dated as it was purposefully surreal when it was released and would never be considered an "accurate" depiction of either NYC or ganglife in general.
    It's 1 of my (and my friends) all time favorites.

They were considering a remake a few years back and we all just Groaned! After watching the horrendous "Rollerball" remake, we knew it would bite. Thankfully it seems to have been shelved.

[​IMG] D

9. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

oops, double post...

[​IMG]

10. Tim Ke

Tim Ke Stunt Coordinator

Yeah I love this one too. I reckon it looks very dated, but that doesn't stop it from still being one helluva action movie!

11. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

12. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Supporting Actor

I saw this movie described once as 'the best movie that John Carpenter never made', which I think sums it up perfectly. It's a fantastically kitsch movie that really does deserve an SE. Still, the current dvd isn't in bad shape at all.

13. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

Saw this dvd recently on my 92 inch screen and the image held its own very well.

The only negative is that the audio is mono. It would have been great to have the stereo score (which is excellent). Paramount has done some excellent 5.1 re-mixes for these older catalog films so it's a surprise.

Felix

14. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Very good transfer. Okay sound. Lack of extras was disappointing; there are many deleted scenes in the vaults - some TV versions have alternate footage. A 20-minute retrospective featurette would have been interesting, as would have been a Hill (and cast) commentary. The film has always been a good seller on VHS and if the DVD had been a SE, I'm sure that much more people would have bought it. But I'm glad that it is on DVD. I'd double-dip though. [​IMG]

Southern Comfort from MGM could have used a few extras too.

Wouldn't mind seeing Hill's best film on SE DVD soon either: The Driver. Vintage Bruce Dern. Great car chases.

Gordy

15. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I saw it twice in the theater when I was 9 years old. I've always had a soft spot for it.

The DVD looks really great.

16. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Actually John Carpenter did make this film three years prior, it was called Assault on Precinct 13 and it really was made for $7.00.[​IMG]

Aww I'm just kidding, they both were based on Rio Bravo and many other western's of times gone by.

17. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    You'll know if The Warriors is for you if any of the other references mentioned here mean anything to you, i.e. Carpenter's Precinct 13, Walter Hill, kitsch, cult classic.

If anyone at Paramount is reading, I too own the original DVD, but would gladly double dip for a reissue special edition with commentary, interviews, Coney Island then & now retrospective, NYC subway then & now retrospective, site map--I could go on. This movie is so ripe for DVD exploitation, I don't know what the hold-up is. I cannot ride the subway to Stillwell Avenue/Coney Island without humming the Warriors theme. And, if this reissue is at all a possibility, please restore the original poster artwork to the DVD cover.

For anyone interested in the ever-changing landscape and history of New York City in the last twenty-five years, this film is essential viewing. And with the recent and ongoing Coney Island revitalization and increased interest in this subject, the film has really become more than a shlocky, cult film from the 70s. It's become quite a fascinating time capsule. I will get off the soapbox and just say this, it ain't the Coney that the Warriors "fought so hard to get back to."

Jon

"In a hour, it's C.I. The big Coney!"

18. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

A great 70's cult film!
    CAN YOU DIGGGGggg IT!!!!

19. David Biggs

David Biggs Agent

Bought the DVD the day it released. I have a real soft spot for the flick as it was a favorite when I was growing up(a local station seemed to have a penchant for it and showed it every other Fri. late for like a year).

Very colourful transfer, no doubt as good as we will ever see it but I have to agree the movie cries out for a 5.1 mix. The mono track is quite lively though but it still makes me wish for something more.

"I want all the Warriors. I want them alive if possible, if not..wasted. Send the word..."

20. Glenn_Jn

Glenn_Jn Stunt Coordinator

Warriors has always been one of my fave films. In fact it was the first VHS I ever bought way back in 1981. As for the DVD I agree the transfer is pretty good (could be a little better) but the sound... mono? Even my soundtrack CD is stereo. Still a SE would be appreciated very much.

btw The rumour as of the end of Sept 2002 is that Tony Scott is to direct the remake for Paramout. Has this changed?