What's new

"The Warriors"--anyone have an opinion on it? (1 Viewer)

Gary_O

Stunt Coordinator
A coworker recommended this movie to me, anyone have an opinion on this movie? Is it a good blind buy? Is the transfer very good? Sound? etc

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
This film was made for about $7 - but this disc is the best it will probably ever look. I think it's wonderful- but unless you have a good sense of humor for absurd cultish films (Evil Dead for example)- then it probably won't make a good blind purchase.

-vince

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I purchased The Warriors blind and enjoyed it. But then again, I have weird tastes... :D

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
I love this movie, although it is totally corny and horribly dated. The transfer is as Vince said probably the best it will look.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
I enjoy this movie a lot, but yeah, it's dated.

Heck, a half-dozen of today's Crips would wipe out every gang in the film. ;)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Uhh, Walter Hill (you know, the writer, director, producer guy... 48 Hrs, Alien...) made this for Paramount. The fight scene in the bathroom reportedly took a week to choreograph and film. Add in all the nite shoots, HUNDREDS of extras, wardrobe, permits required from the city and the MTA and you Hardly get a film made for $7.00!
The cinematography is superb, the performances for the most part are good and it is quite entertaining and imaginative. Was never meant to be taken seriously, simply enjoyed as a comic-book film with an old western vibe, the gang fighting through hostile territory to get home.
I would hardly call it dated as it was purposefully surreal when it was released and would never be considered an "accurate" depiction of either NYC or ganglife in general.
It's 1 of my (and my friends) all time favorites.

They were considering a remake a few years back and we all just Groaned! After watching the horrendous "Rollerball" remake, we knew it would bite. Thankfully it seems to have been shelved.

:) D

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I love this one too. I reckon it looks very dated, but that doesn't stop it from still being one helluva action movie!

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Was never meant to be taken seriously,
That may be, but it still packs a whollop. I once tried a "colorful gangs" double feature of The Warriors and West Side Story (which I had seen and enjoyed before). I watched The Warriors first and it ruined WSS for me. Even if it's considered a classic, WSS just came off as wimpy and silly after watching Swan, Ajax, Luther and those guys. It took me years before I could watch West Side Story on its own terms again.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I saw this movie described once as 'the best movie that John Carpenter never made', which I think sums it up perfectly. It's a fantastically kitsch movie that really does deserve an SE. Still, the current dvd isn't in bad shape at all.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Saw this dvd recently on my 92 inch screen and the image held its own very well.

The only negative is that the audio is mono. It would have been great to have the stereo score (which is excellent). Paramount has done some excellent 5.1 re-mixes for these older catalog films so it's a surprise.

Felix

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Very good transfer. Okay sound. Lack of extras was disappointing; there are many deleted scenes in the vaults - some TV versions have alternate footage. A 20-minute retrospective featurette would have been interesting, as would have been a Hill (and cast) commentary. The film has always been a good seller on VHS and if the DVD had been a SE, I'm sure that much more people would have bought it. But I'm glad that it is on DVD. I'd double-dip though. :D

Southern Comfort from MGM could have used a few extras too.

Wouldn't mind seeing Hill's best film on SE DVD soon either: The Driver. Vintage Bruce Dern. Great car chases.

Gordy

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I saw it twice in the theater when I was 9 years old. I've always had a soft spot for it.

The DVD looks really great.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Actually John Carpenter did make this film three years prior, it was called Assault on Precinct 13 and it really was made for $7.00.;)

Aww I'm just kidding, they both were based on Rio Bravo and many other western's of times gone by.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
You'll know if The Warriors is for you if any of the other references mentioned here mean anything to you, i.e. Carpenter's Precinct 13, Walter Hill, kitsch, cult classic.

If anyone at Paramount is reading, I too own the original DVD, but would gladly double dip for a reissue special edition with commentary, interviews, Coney Island then & now retrospective, NYC subway then & now retrospective, site map--I could go on. This movie is so ripe for DVD exploitation, I don't know what the hold-up is. I cannot ride the subway to Stillwell Avenue/Coney Island without humming the Warriors theme. And, if this reissue is at all a possibility, please restore the original poster artwork to the DVD cover.

For anyone interested in the ever-changing landscape and history of New York City in the last twenty-five years, this film is essential viewing. And with the recent and ongoing Coney Island revitalization and increased interest in this subject, the film has really become more than a shlocky, cult film from the 70s. It's become quite a fascinating time capsule. I will get off the soapbox and just say this, it ain't the Coney that the Warriors "fought so hard to get back to."

Jon

"In a hour, it's C.I. The big Coney!"

David Biggs

Agent
Bought the DVD the day it released. I have a real soft spot for the flick as it was a favorite when I was growing up(a local station seemed to have a penchant for it and showed it every other Fri. late for like a year).

Very colourful transfer, no doubt as good as we will ever see it but I have to agree the movie cries out for a 5.1 mix. The mono track is quite lively though but it still makes me wish for something more.

"I want all the Warriors. I want them alive if possible, if not..wasted. Send the word..."

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator
Warriors has always been one of my fave films. In fact it was the first VHS I ever bought way back in 1981. As for the DVD I agree the transfer is pretty good (could be a little better) but the sound... mono? Even my soundtrack CD is stereo. Still a SE would be appreciated very much.

btw The rumour as of the end of Sept 2002 is that Tony Scott is to direct the remake for Paramout. Has this changed?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks