What's new

The Warriors Anniversary Dvd Se (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
So what are the chances that some Asian release will feature both versions... or a remastered theatrical cut with a 5.1 soundtrack?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I believe the current disc is anamorphic enhanced.

I'm ordering it now from DigitalEyes (provided they still have stock). I want to take advantage of the cheap price tags before this new release streets and everyone realizes what has been done to this film!

stephen^wilson

Stunt Coordinator
I think the original region 1 dvd is anamorphic,I thought the 4 featurettes were quite informative.they run for about 14mins each and talk about the origins of the story,casting,and the raction to the film and as I said before one talks about the original dayime opening and why it didn't work and the chemistry between Michael Beck and Deborah Van Valkenburgh and how this led to re-writes as the character of mercy was supposed to hook up with Fox instead of Swan.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Btw, I hope there's no rules against me asking this...

but where might I find high quality "alternate" cover art that better resembles the fantastic original poster art to replace with the existing cover?

Apart from ordering the UK PAL disc.

Thanks.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
The original disc is anamorphic and looks great, especially for an older film. No EE, no heavy filtering. The new release (at least in R1) might actually look worse with overpumped colors, softened and then electronically shapened and brightened up.

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Great thread and a subject I'm familiar with. This is a movie that has stuck with me since I first saw it at high school age in '79. I wrote a review about it in the school paper then and bought the movie soundtrack. I'm not sure about the comic book corrilation and I don't think that that is what Sol Yurich was thinking when he wrote the book.
I read the book many years ago after seeing the movie (many times) and there isn't much comic booky kinds of stuff. Pretty straight forward "gangs of NY" and how they interact with their youth workers. FOX: Yeah, our youth worker, she talks about you guys all the time, the Orpahn's right? Orphan: "We 'aint got one!" Fox: Well that must be 'cause you guys are so bad that they're afraid of you..."
The original DVD release is excellent. I used this DVD at the CES in Vegas to choose what projector I would buy. I know what every frame should look like and became an Andrew Laszlo fan after I saw it. Laszlo was praised for his cinematography in this film and the DVD would have benefitted from his commentary.
Not being from the East Coast, when I finally visited there, I had to go to Coney and get myself a Wonder Wheel T-Shirt...for obvious reasons! With a little imagination, Paramount and Walter Hill could have come up with some interesting extras for this new release:
How about an interview with Joe Walsh and the writing of "In the City" and include a music video of him or him with the Eagles performing the song. Also, I've seen stills of Hill showing the Lizzies how to fire a gun. Behind the scenes stills would be cool here. One of my favorite things about the movie is the fight choreography. Why not talk about staging the fight scenes for the camera? One of my favorite scenes is when the Warriors take a break with the Lizzies in their hangout, then discover "The chicks are packed! The chicks are packed!" They run for the door in real time and bash through the opposite side in slow motion. One of the coolest shots in the movie.

Trivia note: Ever notice that a later film from Hill, "Southern Comfort" is basically "The Warriors" but with National Guard uniforms on...?

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
It does appear the old disc is going OOP, as Amazon and DVDEMpire don't have it available, and the used price has jumped to $20 minimum on Amazon. Glad I held on to my copy. I will likely pick up this new version to check it out, but I doubt I'll ever give up the old one.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

I have to disagree here. I've always looked at this as a sort of live-action comic book. In fact, that's how many of the reviews upon its release described it. Hill has long stated that he intended to have more overtly comic book-like transitions bridging many of the scenes, but the necessary budget was not available at the time to do it properly. I think the comic style stills look alright, tho I'm definitely hanging onto my original release--it's a shame it's going out-of-print.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
IMHO there is a difference between shooting something with a comic-book vibe, like "The Crow" which actually Was A CB and being so literal with replicated panels like "Creepshow" was. I just think it's gonna look silly and take all the suspense right out of the flick. Before it was atmospheric and surreal, now it looks like a video game tie-in, (which some would argue that it is considering the new "warriors" video game) As an alternate version, cool, but to take the original much loved version off the market? Bad choice IMHO....

stephen^wilson

Stunt Coordinator
I actually think the comic transitions look ok myself.....except for the one when whe first see the baseball furies.I thought it just looked really cheesy and I expected to hear a voiceover from wacky races or something,"They made it,but........holy shit,it's the baseball furies!" Think I'll be holding onto the original version as well.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Just picked up the original DVD (PAL version) again after foolishly selling it, and I'll definitely get this new edition. The new transitions do sound kinda cheesy, but then the original cut isn't without it's share of Edam. Can't wait to get my mitts on the DC.

Robin_B

Stunt Coordinator

That would just be wrong as the Eagles didn't appear on the version that was recorded for the Warriors. The Joe Walsh/Eagles version didn't appear until The Long Run album.

Interview yes, video no.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
For those asking about the original R1 Warriors DVD, see this thread's first page for comments re PQ/SQ...it is not bad at all, and MAY be more satisfying to those who have good memories of the film (but they probably already have the disc). I haven't seen the new release, but I have seen the DVD preview. It looks very good, if representative of the whole DVD quality (but are they, usually?), and the sound seemed good too. Certainly looks different from the current release for what was shown. I don't know about this one, maybe I'll break down, but too many releases lately that are different from the theatrical release are IMO not always better. People agonize over the theatrical release editing, but often seem to just throw whatever's on their mind that day on the DVD "special edits". Most directors don't edit their own films, and from what I've seen there's a VERY good reason why not...

Tim RP

Stunt Coordinator

Geoff what's the aspect ratio on the R2 dvd? DVD Compare lists it at 1.78:1 with the R1 dvd at 1.85:1. IMDB says the theatrical release was 1.85:1 aswell.

When Channel 4 showed it a few years back it was full screen but I wonder if that was open matte (by that time they were showing pretty much all films in some kind of letterboxed ratio usually 1.85:1) - there's also an entry on IMDB stating CIC Video's (then the UK/European home video division of Paramount and Universal) vhs release was open matte.

If the film was theatrically projected at 1.85:1 then the 1.78:1 ratio strikes me as an odd choice, being neither the correct ratio or open matte.

Whilst I will be buying this new disc (and theres a poster on the UK Warriors site who is adamant that the loaded R2 disc is for real) director intended or not those comic book revisions have put me right off and I will now be picking up the original version aswell. Luckily it can still be picked up new for a very reasonable price.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
From reading more reviews over on The Warriors site, this is just sounding worse and worse....

"...got the R1 director's cut DVD last night.. i was surprised to see the comic-book intro opening and a few comic-book intermissions in the whole movie and a comic ending (no live action showing the Warriors walking on the beach when the credits roll!!!) and a couple of "turning pages" in a comic format when it changes from one scene to another.. also i noticed there are some "zoom-ins" or "zoom-outs" in some certain scenes to enlighten the mood.. for example, when Luther aims the gun at Cyrus - the scene zooms out slowly.. and when Luther looks at Fox, the camera zooms in closer to Fox face when he stood there watching what Luther has done..

no deleted scenes here! only 4 featurettes, some are interesting - some are not.. but they did add the opening with cleon and his girlfriend but they didn't show the whole part of it..

watching the new version of the Warriors is like watching Creepshow and i like Creepshow better than this "new" Warriors.

the new 2nd opening scene with the Greeks.. i think it should be left out."

just sounds really lame to me. I might skip it now. I was REALLY looking forward to this too. One of my fave scenes is when the warriors burst out of the "96th st. station". Everything about it is perfect. The editing, pacing and the big reveal of the furies and the music building... It was perfect.
And it sounds like it ain't no more.

'

:frowning: d

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Tim, the R2 is indeed at 1.78. While this mild deviation is enough for some to pronounce the DVD as the work of Satan, I can live with it because the transfer is amazing considering the film's age. The mono audio sounds very clean as well.

Given the changes to the film, I'm glad I got the original cut again. I sold it originally because I thought that the impending SE release would contain the regular version of the film, but as soon as I heard it was to be a 'Director's Cut' I quickly sought out another copy.

It's a pity that the television cut couldn't be represented on the new release, but as long as the DVD features some deleted scenes (as the R2 spec suggests) I'd be satisfied. Even if it doesn't, I at least have the alternate opening on tape somewhere.

Tim RP

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Geoff - and you've summed up my thoughts exactly.

I am intrigued as to exactly what the R2 Ultimate Cut will now consist of...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks