What's new

The Warriors Anniversary Dvd Se (1 Viewer)

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
According to a fan website, as well as a thread on DVD Talk, it looks like a Warriors SE is in the works. At a recent screening of the film at the Egyptian in LA, Hill spoke to the audience and reported recording an interview for an upcoming DVD edition of the film. He also supposedly wants to restore his originally-planned pre-credit title "Sometime in the future." Stay tuned boppers, stay tuned...

Here's the link to one of several excellent Warriors fansites:

http://www.warriorsmovie.co.uk/

Also, Fader magazine has a great retrospective interview/article on the film, which features comments from most of the cast and crew. Kevin Bacon is reported to have played a member of a gay gang, the footage of which was eventually cut. Hill doubts the survival of this footage as well most of the other excised scenes. He mentions recently requesting that Paramount do a search for extra materials for the film, but says that most were destroyed over twenty years ago.

Some extra scenes pop up in some tv versions of the film, most notably a daytime pre-credits gang introduction on Coney.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Sweet! I'd totally buy an SE of the Warriors. I've almost bought the disc that's out now numerous times because it's so cheap, but I've always held off in case they put out an SE. CAN YOU DIG IT!?

Alistair_M

Second Unit
You really don't mess with the Warriors!

Swan: 'You recognize them?'
Fox: 'Orphans. So far down they're not even on the map. Real low class.'
Swan: 'Numbers?'
Fox: 'Full strength, maybe thirty?'
Vermin: 'Thirty, a lot more than eight'
Ajax: 'Not if they're wimps!... and I'm sick of this running crap.'

Bring on the SE.

Great music soundtrack too.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I think I just wet my pants reading this news.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

I hope to god they can find some if not all of the deleted scenes.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
My dream SE would have a branching feature including the comments of Joe Bob Briggs framing the commercial breaks from when the film was shown on TNT's "Monstervision". He had a map of New York with subway lines indicated and followed the progress of the Warriors from the Bronx to Coney Island while commenting on other pertinent things such as the films historical and literary antecedents, Mercedes Ruehl's cameo, and a running quantification of the amount of sex and violence, of course. :)

Regards,

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
So I suppose this means the current DVD sold well then?

At any rate I'm glad I held off buying the current DVD.

....come out and plaaaaaaayyy!!

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
Oh man, what great news!

Can you believe that I hadnt seen this Walter Hill classic until up about less than a year ago??? My better half was telling me about it, then a friend of mine had me sit down and watch it one night --- I was instantly hooked, and always wondered why Paramount never did a Special Edition of this title, what with all the controversey the film spawned regarding gang violence when it came out in New York City...growing up not too far from Coney Island, Brooklyn, I immediately related to this story.

The current Paramount disc isnt that bad, per se; I dont know if you guys are in agreement with me that the widescreen transfer isn't all that bad....but I just find the mono track to be lacking a bit, as well as the extras, of which there are none except for that really cool trailer that almost plays like a John Carpenter film.

This would be a no-brainer double dip for me. Is there any speculation about a sound remix or would this new edition re-appear with the same mono mix? MGM did a good job with their Escape From New York Collector's Edition, giving it a full-on Dolby 5.1 remix, so I was hoping Paramount would follow suit with The Warriors.

Michael Beck: "Let's do it....you and me...."
David Patrick Kelley: "One on one? You're crazy....you're dead...."
Michael Beck: "Why'd ya do it....why'd ya waste Cyrus?"
David Patrick Kelley: "No reeeeeason....I just like doin' things like that....."

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Oh man, I FINALLY bought the DVD last weekend. Now they announce the special edition.

Great film, watched a few scenes again, will have to watch the whole thing soon.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

Judging by Paramount's recent history, I wouldn't be surprised if the new special edition comes fully loaded, minus the theatrical trailer. Suddenly, the old edition wouldn't be so irrelevant. Not that I'm asking for that scenario... :)

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
According to Fader's Warriors group interview, David Patrick Kelly ad-libbed his famous provocative line, basing it on a loony Lower East Side character who would taunt him with crazed shouts of "Daaaavid...Daaaavid!" I had wondered why this wasn't in my copy of the script.

In an earlier film script, Kevin Bacon's gang the Dingoes kidnaps Swan, from whom he eventually escapes. This plot point was changed when Thomas G. Waites (Fox) was fired from the film, and the romantic subplot switched from Mercy being involved with Fox to her being hot for Swan.

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
"Judging by Paramount's recent history, I wouldn't be surprised if the new special edition comes fully loaded, minus the theatrical trailer. Suddenly, the old edition wouldn't be so irrelevant. Not that I'm asking for that scenario..."

The Warriors has to have one of the coolest trailers I've seen; ESPECIALLY considering the age of the material. Like I said, almost plays like a John Carpenter film when you watch it....that creepy electronic score, the talkover voice doing the trailer....it's almost a parody of Carpenter's Escape From New York.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

Only it came before EFNY. :D

The music in the trailer is a Tangerine Dream track, tho I don't recall which one.

Incidentally, EFNY took quite a bit of flack for being one of many films to rip off the look of The Warriors in the intervening years.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Is the trailer for The Warriors included on any other discs? I don't have the existing disc, but I'm pretty sure that I've seen the trailer fairly recently.

The new disc WILL be mine. Warriors SE, come out and play-ayyyy!!!

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
"Only it came before EFNY.

The music in the trailer is a Tangerine Dream track, tho I don't recall which one.

Incidentally, EFNY took quite a bit of flack for being one of many films to rip off the look of The Warriors in the intervening years."

Yes, you are quite correct....and I did hear that Carpenter received a lot of flack about copying Hill's look of The Warriors; the music in the trailer IS Tangerine Dream, yes....I cannot recall the name either, but I'll tell you this...their song "Love On A Real Train" from the Risky Business soundtrack was excellent.

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
"The new disc WILL be mine. Warriors SE, come out and play-ayyyy!!!"

Excellent! Only you gotta hold beer bottles on your fingers when doing that....
:emoji_thumbsup:

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

It is from William Friedkin's 1977 film Sorcerer and the name of the song is Betrayal (Sorcerer Theme) (it is my favorite TD score).

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
"I don't think anyone here was complaining about the transfer on the current disc, we just want the SE treatment that this classic cult films deserves."

Agreed; I was just making an observation about the transfer.

Haden

Supporting Actor

I remember seeing that when it originally aired :) Wish TNT still aired Monstervision with Joe Bob Briggs. In fact that was the first time I ever saw The Warriors and discovered this cult classic. I remember Joe Bob talking about the original movie poster too and the history behind it. They really should make it the cover for the new SE.

Also, is it just me or does that girl that tagged along with the Warriors (the love interest for Michael Beck) look a lot like a young Angelina Jolie? I swear when I first saw this film I thought it was her, but realized that it couldn't be since this film was so old.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

Actually I thought she looked a lot like the brunette daughter on the sitcom Too Close for Comfort.....:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks