What's new

The Warriors Anniversary Dvd Se (1 Viewer)

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
That wasnt the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the film (that she looked like Angelina Jolie) but now that you mention it, that is kinda true....

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Watching the TOO CLOSE season one set is what reminded me to pick up THE WARRIORS. And then, she turns up on last weeks ER. So, she is still acting.

Also, did anyone notice one of the Warriors was in 3-2-1 Contact's "Bloodhound Gang"? And, one of the hosts of 3-2-1 Contact played the "Candy Store Girl".

All sorts of fun early 80's references from that film.

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
There were a few things I noticed about actors in The Warriors (aside from Beck going on to destroy his career in XANADU and David Patrick Kelley going on to do great cheesy stuff like DREAMSCAPE and COMMANDO)....the guy that plays Ajax went on to play the cop in 2Fast2Furious and he was in other things as well; his name escapes me now.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

Yup, that's Marcelino Sanchez who played the young "artist" of the gang, Rembrandt. Sanchez also played the "Parking Lot Attendant" in Hill's B]48 Hrs.[/b]. He is said to have died of cancer in 1986.

The actress who played the "Candy Store Girl" is Ginny Ortiz, indeed also of 3-2-1 Contact fame. I always wondered what she must have been thinking when she was getting berated by psychotic David Patrick Kelly...maybe a touch fearful for her safety?

"What about the money you owe?" - Candy Store Girl
"For WHAAAT?!" - Luther

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
Yes! James Remar! Thats right!

And that's a great line by Kelley when they take the candy from that counter....

"They're lookin for the Warioooooors, remember?"
"Hey---what about the money you owe?"
"For WHAAAAAAAT?"

Also, another quick piece of Warriors trivia....the undercover cop that handcuffs Remar to the bench was in an HBO-made special called "Subway Stories," a collection of short skits about New York City subway adventures; she was the one that sits down next to the kid who is traveling back home from Coney Island (ironic that she is in The Warriors, huh?) after being beat up by her girlfriend's ex's friends (for anyone who remembers Subway Stories) and they end up gettin' it on right there on the train....I'm almost positive that's her, but I for the life of me dont know the actress' name. So ironic though that the kid in Subway Stories that she ends up screwing on the train was coming from Coney Island...after she was in The Warriors, who were from CI.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

Mercedes Ruehl, aka Tom Hanks' mom in Big and an Oscar-winner for The Fisher King.

BTW, imdb.com is great for answering these pesky questions.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

Thanks, Pat. And, be thankful for discussion groups like this one, where normally useless trivial information can be put to good use. ;)

James_M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
Awww yeah, it's about time! And I just bought the current dvd a few months ago. Oh well, it was only 8 bucks.

"You Warriors are good.... REAL good..."

FredHD

Stunt Coordinator
One of my favorite movies of all time. I wish they could do a reunion with all the surviving main cast members for a commentary. Walter Hill made a lot of turkeys, but I don't think people realize how many good flicks he made (including Crossroads in '86).

I may have to watch The Warriors tonight.:)

Oh, BTW, there is an entry on IMDB that Tony Scott is prepping to direct a remake for a 2006 release.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

[Fred Flintstone]Ooooh boy[/Fred Flintstone]....tons of shaky cam, blue light and digital grain....The Warriors meets CSI.

Just a little conjecture mind you...

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
Oh man....is there REALLY going to be a Warriors remake? How many films are going to be remade in the last few years??? We had Texas Chainsaw, Man On Fire, Italian Job, Dawn of the Dead, soon Amityville Horror, Gone in Sixty Seconds (well, that wasnt SO recent, but)....and now they're gonna re do The Warriors?

Would this even fit into a modern New York City environmental scheme like it did when it first came out? I dont see it.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"is there REALLY going to be a Warriors remake?"

Yup, complete with wire fu, and 2004 gangs who dont carry guns.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Watched this again over the weekend.

Still a whole lot of fun.

Plus, it is a GREAT looking transfer. Couldn't ask for it to look better.

Don't know why it needs to be remade. Still holds up.

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
Agreed very much, Jon....I think the transfer looks beautiful for a piece of cinema of its vintage and budget; I think the audio can use some re-working, but there are folks who pooh-pooh the use of 5.1 remixing for stuff that is older, like The Warriors...I can understand that; there were times that 5.1 remixing was successful --- such as with John Carpenter's Halloween --- and then there were times that purists say 5.1 completely fucked up the original intent of the film team --- such as with the original Jaws (although I feel the DTS version of this film is much richer-sounding than the mono mix on any day of the week).

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I'll add my .02 re the current Warriors DVD: actually, a pretty good pic and IMO robust mono sound. I watched it just after I read of the upcoming SE to see if I really *need* it. I dunno, most 5.1 remixes of mono don't floor me, most are all in the front anyway. I listened to the Warriors mono track in "7.1 stereo" mode and, except for less dynamics and frequency response than I'd prefer, it was clean enough and sounded sufficiently good that I cranked it during the tunes I particularly like. I wonder if a "remix" would fix this, doubt it, it's probably the sound quality that was recorded, moving the sounds around won't fix my (minor) issues. I'd say for those of casual interest to pick up the current disc for sure, it's so cheap and plenty good for just the movie.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Rockstar Games, the studio behind the Grand Theft Auto series, is releasing a video game based on the movie this September. Maybe we'll see the SE around the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks