What's new

The War of the Worlds (1953) possible Blu-ray release? (1 Viewer)

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
After buying the iTunes version months ago and only watching 2/3s of it, I finally remembered to watch the remainder last night.

I was struck by the surround action in the 5.1 track in the climactic minutes. If the original 3-track audio is missing, how did they accomplish the 5.1 track? It was very impressive. I know they can use software to simulate a discrete 5.1 track, but I don't think I've ever heard anything this good.

Also, when I first resumed it, I think iTunes displayed text saying a 4K version is available. But when I tried to go back to see that message, it didn't appear. Did anyone else notice it?

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I taped the TCM version this week and I have to say, I didn't like what I saw. TCM was wider then the DVD by 2 inches on my 65 incher, I wonder why? TCM has more info only on the sides. When the TCM movie shows Mars it's blue but the DVD is red, I wonder why? The DVD had beautiful color, TCM muted.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE BEAUTIFUL TECNICOLOR?

The TCM was much darker with almost washed out colors. Sure it was nice having the scratches removed and the wires, but over all not good looking at all.

Was this the edition that iTunes put out?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

The TCM was much darker with almost washed out colors. Sure it was nice having the scratches removed and the wires, but over all not good looking at all.

I don't know, but what I do know is that iTunes 4K/Dolby Vision stream looks great on my 65" OLED.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
IMDB is pretty reliable when it comes to technical specs for newer movies - older ones, not so much.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Good to know and thanks for the clarification, gents. I realize that 1953 was borderline-widescreen intro, so I'm not shocked the IMDb listing got this one wrong. I guess I was hoping it was an early widescreen release -- and how great would that have been for a title like this...?

GregK

Screenwriter
I was struck by the surround action in the 5.1 track in the climactic minutes. If the original 3-track audio is missing, how did they accomplish the 5.1 track? It was very impressive. I know they can use software to simulate a discrete 5.1 track, but I don't think I've ever heard anything this good.

For the latest remix, they added new sound effects throughout.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I taped the TCM version this week and I have to say, I didn't like what I saw. TCM was wider then the DVD by 2 inches on my 65 incher, I wonder why? TCM has more info only on the sides. When the TCM movie shows Mars it's blue but the DVD is red, I wonder why? The DVD had beautiful color, TCM muted.

I didn't notice Mars being blue, but I'll look again when I get around to it.

The iTunes version had lovely color.

Also, when comparing to the DVD, let us know which one. There were at least two releases on DVD. I once owned the second version, but I don't think I have it any longer.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I didn't notice Mars being blue, but I'll look again when I get around to it.

The iTunes version had lovely color.

Also, when comparing to the DVD, let us know which one. There were at least two releases on DVD. I once owned the second version, but I don't think I have it any longer.

Either version.The first one was great, but the second edition was much brighter and of course it showed the wires much more.The view of Mars at the beginning was Red/Orange in the first DVD, the second one was brighter Red/Oranger and the TCM version was BLUE.

My Mit 65738 DLP TV that only does 1080 and has been ISFed, will it show different colors for broadcast TV and different colors for discs?

Thanks in advance for checking this out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks