What's new

The War of the Worlds (1953) possible Blu-ray release? (1 Viewer)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Ordered from DD last week. I've tired cancelling twice, but no response. Just ordered from Criterion...I'll stick with them.

I hope it has colors similar to the DVD. The picture, that was shown on TCM last year, was way to muted. Picture was sharp but it's tough to get past the muted colors.

Do a side by side comparison and you'll see the difference. I really don't believe it was shown originally with such washed out colors.

I have iTunes, but not anyway to view it in the den or my HT...physical disc all the way.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I received one, and have never subscribed to their channel. I do order discs direct from their website during sales, though.
I've received two $10 gift certificates, one on March 21st and the second on April 7th. The email in March didn't mention the Criterion Channel so I assume anybody that made a direct transaction with Criterion got that one. The email on April 7th, specifically mentions being a charter subscriber to the Criterion Channel.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Did anyone pre order from Via Vision Entertainment ? And if have you canceled or will you? It's not clear you can from the website.

yes i ordered directly from Via Vision, i emailed them about possibly canceling the order since some items are having difficulty shipping from overseas. with the state the world currently is in. here is part of the response back

Via Vision has a strict no change of mind policy on all Imprint Limited Edition Exclusive box-sets. The units we manufacture are based on pre-order demand. As a goodwill gesture, we are prepared to offer a credit that can be used when ordering future Imprint releases (Please note: New Release announcement is imminent).

i am ok with it. still will end up picking up the criterion, assuming that the special features are different, also to show support for Criterion releasing Paramount titles.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Interesting that that wasn't part of the initial order information. This doesn't affect me personally, but an email with that sort of wording would likely get a response:
"I understand your stance, but I have a strict policy against paying with CC that doesn't allow automatic reversal of charges. "

I would assume most people would be within that window

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Other than that gray & blue Mars shot (I don't recall how that looked on the IB prints, but I presume it had more red), the rest of it is exceptional.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Mars was never that red. I just had a look at WotW on the iTunes Copy, of course I cannot take a screen grab to show you because ios won’t let me. But it looks the same grey red it’s always looked. I don’t think theres anything here to worry about.

It did make me think about all these new releases of older titles made from 4K sources that are fan favorites. it seems a lot of people might be remembering things with green rose glasses. :)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Bigger question - does that Youtube video look anything like the 4K Streaming copy or the upcoming Blurays or even the DVD
I'm going to guess no from Nelson's comment, but await the results or other people with the actual itunes

Here's a link that should give us the willies...to keep or cancel our order.

Or wait until the real item exists and a real world hands on review comes out.

I was convinced long ago of teh complete unreliability of most Screencap, caps a whats its, youtube video even from reasonably trusted sources, much less random sources with no reason to do it correctly. And that was before 4K HDR captures which apparently have been proven to be nearly useless

Pages and pages of back/forth dissecting all which ends up with an Emily Litella moment once people actually see the disc. Then it turns into more pages and pages of Side 1 who has seen the item vs Side 2 who haven;t seen anything other than the "Video/JPEG" arguing that there isn't a reason to get the disc since the proof that they are right already exists and the people watching the disc just don't know what they're talking about .

Last edited:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Well, can't wait to get the reviews of the different discs. How does it work with Criterion? Do they work with what is given to them from Paramount and tweek it to what they want ? if so, could their version look different from what other companies are releasing? Are the other companies getting down-rezes of the ITunes 4K version, like TCM used last year? And if they do, are they tweeked the way they want them?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Once again, people making the assumption that the older DVD is correct. We don't know that. The iTunes 4K streaming version is drop-dead gorgeous to look at, just enjoy it already!

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Do you have access to Vudu as they have it too? There is only one upcoming Blu-ray release I know of are you saying it's being released on 4K disc too?

I don;t think so since the Video was uploaded in 2018. I was thinking this was somebody's attempt at capturing the Itune digital copy and photoshopping a Cover. Even the YouTube comments say the 4K looks nothing like the Itunes 4K. It's at the very best misleading unless you can say your Itunes copy looks like those 4K images

I looked more at the youtube site and I couldn't find any real information about where these were taken from much less how they captured the images -- maybe off a uncalibrated source upload off a screen with a phone it appears

The information does link to this article which mentions HTF
http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2018/10/4k-restored-remastered-war-of-the-worlds-on-itunes-for-now/

Last edited:

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
If the wires were seen in dye transfer in 1953, does that also mean that the wires were seen in The Wizard of Oz in 1939? Or had film stocks gotten better by the time WotW was produced?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks