What's new

The War of the Worlds (1953) possible Blu-ray release? (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Watching it now On Demand. The only downside is its 2.0 stereo instead of 5.1 that TCM normally has. The DVD was also 2.0. Does sound better than the DVD. Compare the sound of the space ship flying towards earth in your surround speakers.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It's being released on Blu-ray in Australia in May:

Coming from Madman 27th May 2020, limited edition to 1500 units

War Of The Worlds (1953)

Special Features
• Taken from a Brand New 4K restoration from the original camera negative
• Audio commentary by film critics: Barry Forshaw and Kim Newman
• Audio commentary by actor Gene Barry and actress Ann Robinson
• Audio commentary by ""fans"" Joe Dante, Bob Burns and Bill Warren
• ""The Sky is Falling: Making The War of the Worlds"" documentary
• ""H.G. Wells: The Father of Science Fiction"" featurette
• ""The Mercury Theatre on the Air Presents: The War of the Worlds Radio Broadcast""
• Theatrical trailer
• Deluxe slipcase packaging with alternate art, limited to 1500 units

I just can't believe that this film (& other Paramount films) are only going to be licensed for release in Australia. I suppose it's: watch this space.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

War Of The Worlds (1953)
Special Features
Taken from a Brand New 4K restoration from the original camera negative
• ""The Mercury Theatre on the Air Presents: The War of the Worlds Radio Broadcast""
• Theatrical trailer

I just can't believe that this film (& other Paramount films) are only going to be licensed for release in Australia. I suppose it's: watch this space.
Brand new restoration??? Come on, my HD digital on iTunes updated to 4K/Dolby Vision back in October, 2018 so it's probably been about two years since that 4K restoration. Anyhow, I'm happy for those that want this on disc, but I suspect it's going to cost you a pretty dollar. I'm happy with my 4K digital.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Not too bad actually, forty Australian dollars, that's around £20.50 & $26.50 (unless I've made a mistake with the Google currency converter), less than a Twilight Time Blu, but of course there's P&P to take into consideration. But I'm thinking that there's more than a few fans of old movies that have discovered streaming, so won't get that excited about a first time Blu-ray release, maybe that's the way it's going.

...I'm not tempted for this film, but there's plenty of Paramount catalogue films where I would be.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin

War Of The Worlds (1953)

Special Features
• Taken from a Brand New 4K restoration from the original camera negative
• Theatrical trailer

Alan, do you have a link to this please? I can’t find it advertised at the usual outlets, nor at the Madman site.
Thank you.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Hello Ramin, I saw it reported in the Australian section of Blu-ray.com here's the link they gave.

http://b2b.madman.com.au/actions/catalogue.do?method=view&releaseId=52627

They're also releasing Sorry, Wrong Number (1948)

http://b2b.madman.com.au/actions/catalogue.do?method=view&releaseId=52626

Wow! Seriously - Sorry Wrong Number as well? In my excitement about WOTW, I missed that in the first reading.

I’ll take the credit for this one, as I gave up hope of ever seeing a Blu-ray of Sorry, Wrong Number and imported the DVD, which arrived just last week. Oh me of little faith!

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Im going to wait for the eventual US release. American films being released in other countries first is still baffling :) . But it does bode well that these movies will get released here in the US

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I sure hope there will be an eventual US blu ray release of War of the Worlds. Thanks for the news!

About region coding, I did buy an Australian blu ray copy of Hitchcock’s Life Boat which played on my US player. Then it was maybe a year or so later that a US Blu Ray edition of Life Boat came out! So I’m hoping this happens for War of the Worlds.

I do have the iTunes version. It does look good. I don’t have a 4K TV yet, so I haven’t seen that yet. I still would prefer to have a physical disc as back-up.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Madman released Lost Horizon on Blu in
Im going to wait for the eventual US release. American films being released in other countries first is still baffling :) . But it does bode well that these movies will get released here in the US
I’m not sure how a foreign release “bodes well” for Paramount to release this domestically.

Logically, I don’t see the two things as related

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Paramount is really focused on digital at this point.

I wonder if we will start to see more of the paramount catalog in 4K on their digital platform Viacom CBS.

I do think a classic set of the older Star Trek films will happens eventually. Maybe as an exclusive.

not that it’s needed but I’m also curious if they spend the $ on 4k for the original series tv show.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Paramount is really focused on digital at this point.

so am i , hard copy, physical release, of a digital format it's all binary anyhow, and not to sound negative, i am not interested in purchasing a digital download, what happens when the comp or what ever i have that download craps the bed, physical copy, walk in and pull it off the shelf, done deal. Odd though, there digital CBS all access programs are getting physical copy releases, because i own both seasons of trek and TZ rehash

Whenever paramount is ready to release physical copies, i will be willing to purchase, still waiting on a Cheeech and Chong that was announced a long time ago along with many other titles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks