1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Upgraded Anthem AVM-20 2.1

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Marc_E, Jul 17, 2003.

1. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim

2. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Keith,

What may be occurring is that when you enter the setup menus, whatever source you have currently selected (i.e. DVD, SAT, CD, etc.) dictates the active speaker configuration. So, if are using the "Music" configuration for the CD input, and you enter the setup menus, the notch filter and bass peak level menus assume that you do not have a sub.

In previous software versions, if your system was not configured for a sub, the bass peak level tests would be applied to the mains, as this is where the sub output has been rerouted. It is possible that the notch filter is doing the same thing.

I hate to say this, but I think the solution is to have a separate notch filter settings and bass peak levels for the "Cinema" and "Music" configurations. The reason I say this is because I believe that these settings affect the "subwoofer" channel. If you have set one of the configurations to have no sub, then this channel gets sent to the mains.

Looks like something to test tonight! [​IMG]

Michael

3. Wayne_T

Wayne_T Stunt Coordinator

I've now joined the 2.10 crowd. Installed last night, and played around a bit with the setups today. Everything seems to be working correctly. Haven't had the time yet to try any of the new advanced features.

First impressions:
    Extremely easy install.
    Assigning one input to multiple sources is great. Allows me to remove one cable, which is a good thing.
    I think it sounds better, but as has been said by others this could be my imagination. But my wife said it definitely sounded better, which is a great thing, even if it is her imagination.
    Once again, Anthem has their act together.

Can anyone offer an explanation as to why the new software could have resulted in better sound?

Cheers

4. Michael Mohrmann

Wayne,

5. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

6. Michael Mohrmann

Keith,

Thanks for pointing out the issue with the bass peak level and notch filter settings for the particular setup you described. While I wouldn't call it a bug, I would say that the single bass peak level setting and single notch filter setting prohibits you from using the "Cinema" and "Music" configurations as you are ("Cinema" with sub, "Music" without sub).

From the testing I just completed, it appears that the bass peak level and notch filter settings are based on whatever the "Music" configuration is set to. So, with your setup, with "Cinema" set for 5.1 and "Music" set for 2.0 (mains only), the test tones were being played in the mains (which to me initially sounded like they were coming from all speakers, but testing for cone movement I found this limited to the mains).

The interesting part is that I reversed your setup (sort of) by setting "Cinema" to 5.0 and "Music" to 5.1. When I did this, the test tones were being played by the subwoofer. So, I am fairly certain that the "Music" configuration (which can be set to the same as "Cinema") drives the output for the bass peak level and notch filter test tones.

The obvious solution would be to have the bass peak level and notch filter settings available for "Cinema" and "Music" separately (when "Music" is not set to "Cinema"). The only problem is that there may not be the room in the software to add this.

Michael

7. Michael Mohrmann

Keith,

8. Michael Mohrmann

Brian,

9. Brian Fitterman

Brian Fitterman Stunt Coordinator

Michael, I think you got. I never thought of that before. The iScan with only the Tivo going to it, never unlocked since the Tivo never turns the video output off unless you put it in standby mode (I never do). That would explain the faster switching in the older setup.

Thanks...

10. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

Was finally able to find a cable and perform the upgrade. Work the 1st time I tried it, and flawlessly. Now will have to play with it tonight.

Michael Mohrmann

I think we (all the people hangin-out here owning or not a Anthem AVM20) should nominated you has "Anthem AVM20 helper of the year"! I think everyone will agree that you are always helpful, polite, precise and you seem to always take the time to find the exact answer before posting it here to help us. There is never a question that slip past your vigilance! You answer each and every questions.

I can't believe the dedication and time you are putting on the forums to make our experience with the Anthem AVM20 more enjoyable and easier.

In all the forums, there is a lot of selfish people that never say thanks.

I the name of all the silent majority, I say a warm thank you.

Bravo!

11. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

12. Mike Loiterman

Mike Loiterman Stunt Coordinator

One question I have:

I have a "Fogg" box. Basically its a box that plugs into your 6ch input and gives you two 6ch in. So, I have the box plugged into the 6ch in and then I have my SACD player and my DVD-A plyer pluged into the Fogg box.

In order to switch input on the Fogg box I use a trigger. Right now, I have use Zone 2 DVD input to trigger the box on and the Main DVD input to trigger the box off.

Can I do away with this workaround now that you can assign multple source to one input?

Also at the bottom of pgae 30, the note box.

It says that once you engage THX Bass/Treb *speaker leve* and Balance are set to +0.0db. How can this be?

13. Michael Mohrmann

Mike,

You will still need to use the "Fogg" box with the Zone 2 trigger setup. With v2.10, the digital inputs (coax, Toslink, XLR) can be mapped to most any input (except FM/AM and 6 channel), but the analog inputs are mapped only to their respective input.

14. Mike Loiterman

15. Michael Mohrmann

Mike,

16. Mike Loiterman

When I say I've turned it off, I meant from the back panel switch. No...I would never just turn it off from the remote or front panel.

I'll do my upgrade tonight while my finance sleeps to avoid any downtime for her.

Not looking forward to recalibrating and redoing all my settings though.

17. Michael Mohrmann

Mike,

18. Mike Loiterman

I plan on recalibrating everything...but I'm a perfectionist, so it takes a while and its a pain in the butt.

I'm still reading the manual so that I understand everything before I do the upgrade.

19. Mike Loiterman

Finally did the upgrade.

All went smooth. Recovered most settings. Almost fully setup.

I'm having trouble getting started with my speaker configuration. I don't know where to start. Should I listen to newer, bass heavy movies or more neutral ones? I watch a good mix of the two. For the music, what sort of material will yield the most accurate results when verifiying my settings?

I have Paradigm 60's Studio center and the 20's for the rear. Can someone give me some basic settings, with respect to crossover points, to get started with?

20. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim