What's new

The Upgraded Anthem AVM-20 2.1 (1 Viewer)

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
How much of a bump are you talking about before setting the crossovers this way? Are you saying that if you set your mains to 80Hz and test them separately, you would have a bump in the bass response between 80Hz and 150Hz? What are your room dimensions (WxLxH)? Also, what are you using to test this out (meter, disc, etc.)?
If I set the mains to crossover at 80hz, the bump is about 10db. It starts rising at about 85hz and comes back down at about 125hz or so.

Room dimensions are hard to describe. It is an irregular shaped room with a cathedral ceiling and open to the upstairs landing.

I'm using a Radio Shack digital meter (c-weighting, slow response, corrections taken into consideration) to take measurements. I have a few tests discs. The one with the 1/6 warble tones is from Autosounds, I believe. I also have another disc that has sine waves from 10hz to 99hz in 1hz increments. I have another disc that has sine waves from 15hz up to 20khz. Yet another disc I have has 1/3 octave warble tones from 30hz to 20khz. I also have a couple discs that will do sweeps. Take your pick.:D

Using the tools I have available and alot of measuring, I was able to determine that most of the bump is due to the location of the left main speaker. Moving it around in the space available did not help much. (Measuring the sub by itself revealed a quite smooth response.)

Originally, I tried to tame it using an EQ I have from Audiocontrol, but it's 1 octave spacing is too large. So started raising the main speaker crossover frequency until it was pretty much tamed without having to use the Audiocontrol EQ. That's how I ended up with the 150hz crossover frequency setting.

Hope this is clearer.

Thanks again! :)
JimmyK

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
Mike L:

Mike, do you have a good sub that blends well with your Studios? If you do, I would recommend setting all the speaker crossovers and the sub crossover at 80 Hz. I have the same speakers (except my surrounds which are ADPs).

You may want to experiment with other crossovers than 80Hz, but I would recommend using the same crossover for all speakers. If you use more than one, you cannot avoid having bass holes or overlaps.

Enjoy.

Mike Loiterman

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Paradigm 2200 Sub. I think I'll set everything at 80.

But, what do I set the Baypass to? I have it on. I think I'd rather have a little but of localization to get slightly more bass. Am I reading that right?

Also:

I have a 5.1 Setup and I have this as my DVD setup options:
2-Ch: Stereo
DD-2.0: PLII-Auto+THX Cin
DD-5.1: +THX Cinema
DTS-5.1: +THX Cinema
DD-EX: Auto+THX SurEx
DTS-ES: Auto+THX

The only thing I don't understand is the DD-EX entry: What is Auto+THX SurEX? Its obviously autdetecting it and applying THX to it, but what is the last piece SurEX?

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator

The LFE crossover bypass allows your sub to play material recorded in the Dolby .1 LFE channel between the crossover and 120Hz (if there is any). That doesn't get you more bass per se, but it ensures that no bass between 80 and 120Hz is discarded.

I think SurEx means extended surround.

Wayne

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Mike,

The only thing I don't understand is the DD-EX entry: What is Auto+THX SurEX? Its obviously autdetecting it and applying THX to it, but what is the last piece SurEX?
The "+THX SurEx" says that you want to apply THX Surround EX (page 30) to DD-EX material that is properly flagged. The "Auto" part allows you to select a different THX mode for non-flagged material (page 55).

Michael

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Jimmy,

Does the notch filter only work on the sub output?
Since no one else has answered this question, here's what my testing showed for a 5.1 setup. The notch filter appears to affect the subwoofer channel. For any setup with a subwoofer connected to the AVM-20's subout, only the subwoofer is adjusted. With any setup without a subwoofer, the notch filter affects the main's output. Whether it is applied before or after any present LFE (.1) channel and "small" bass is sent to the mains is unknown to me at this time.

Someone care to ask Anthem? Please don't say me! :)

Michael

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
But, what do I set the Baypass to? I have it on. I think I'd rather have a little but of localization to get slightly more bass. Am I reading that right?
I've tried both on and off and have the bypass for the LFE set to on. I tend to use more SACD then anything and enjoy multichannel quite a bit. Therefore, I leave the bypass on. I've tried both settings and for music and cinema, the difference in negligible.

Perhaps the Studio 100's ability to go low compensates for any deficiency that I can distinguish. I am still tweaking like all of us are.

Charles

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
The notch filter appears to affect the subwoofer channel. For any setup with a subwoofer connected to the AVM-20's subout, only the subwoofer is adjusted. With any setup without a subwoofer, the notch filter affects the main's output.
Thanks Michael.

This is what I suspected. I'll guess I'll stick to using the higher crossover setting in the mains to tame the dip.

I haven't had much time to really explore all the new features in detail.

It's funny, but I was going through the new manual last night and was almost thinking that this thing has too many options and features!:D My head was spinning trying to get a grasp on everything! In reality, however, I really like the fact that you can use the AVM20 simply using the factory settings, or you can tweek the heck out of it using all the adjustments and features available.:)

I know it's been said before, but I REALLY appreciate all the help you and others have offered to us Anthem owners. :emoji_thumbsup: All the help and info has greatly increased my understanding and enjoyment of my Anthem!

JimmyK

Dan Schulze

Stunt Coordinator
Let me add myself to the list of happy Anthem owners. Did the upgrade last night - no problems, my settings were saved, however did not have the time until tonight to try to get a handle on all the new settings. I was even thinking to myself, maybe this is to much stuff to set-up, but once I had a grasp on what everything did, all I can say is WOW!!!

I especially like the separate speaker configurations, the notch filter (love those test tones all the way down to 18Hz!!), and the ability to assign the same input to multiple sources.

I was also excited to find out that I have the ability to assign my music speaker configuration to my CD source, and my cinema speaker configuration to my DVD source.

The very first thing I noticed was better sound. How can they do that with only software - no new hardware?!?! I noticed the imaging on the Pink Floyd DSotM SACD was better!! The music didn't seem as localized!!!

Then after calibrating, setting the "Room Resonance Filter", and testing the new setup out on my favorite movie scenes and music selections, I found my bass and LFE sound was even tighter than before. I LUV it!! Even the midrange didn't seem as harsh as before.

Thank-you Anthem!!! Down the road when I am considering another amp, I will put an Anthem product at the top of my list!!!

Dan

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
The notch filter only works on the sub output (see under 'filter depth' in manual) although if the sub channel is off, it's not applied to the rerouted sub channel.

It's applied at the end of the sub output chain, in other words, after LFE is combined with 'small' channel bass. Mixing of two or more channels, including LFE, is done at the very beginning (which bypasses notch filter - a delayed signal mixed directly with one that's not delayed is bad news, and a filtered signal is always delayed, by nature).

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator
Chas_T,

Thanks for seeking this info from Anthem. Understanding how the notch filter works will be helpful with set up.

Wayne P

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Charles,

Thanks for taking the time to get Anthem's answer to the notch filter question and posting it! :)

I can live with the notch filter being applied only to the signals being sent through the subout connection. This will work well for most system setups.

Michael

Mike Loiterman

Stunt Coordinator
I keep checking back here to see what news has been posted, but its been so quite. I guess everyone is busy tinkering, tweaking, and configuring. I'm all finished. I'm ready to start the conversation back up and learn about everyone else's experience.

My upgrade was really smooth. All my settings were saved, but I went through all the menus to verify and adjust the new settings.

Room Resonance seems to have made a big difference for me. Bass is much tighter and deeper. The sound, all around, seems to have improved. I can't say why and its probably just a placebo effect, but why look a gift horse in the mouth?

I like being able to specify the various surround modes for each input.

The only thing I wish they had included was the ability to assign multiple analog sources to one input.

Thats all for now. What about everyone else?

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
The sound, all around, seems to have improved. I can't say why and its probably just a placebo effect...
I can't find the link, but somewhere there was a list of changes on the Anthem site, and one of the descriptive sections said something like "DSP has been improved for cleaner sound and more precise imaging" (I'm paraphrasing here... I can't remember the exact words)... so maybe the improvements aren't just your imagination.

I'll probably do the upgrade this weekend... I need to borrow a laptop.

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator
Craig,

The AVM 20 v2.1x New Features Description on the Anthem site contains the following statement:

"Refinements in the digital signal processing has also yielded further sonic improvements resulting in even greater overall clarity, detail and imaging precision."

It was the comments on this forum regarding improved sonics, apparently supporting this statement from Anthem, that has convinced me to finally upgrade my DSP board. I have an appointment with Nick or Frank, at Anthem, a week from Monday. I am looking forward to attending the "factory" where this excellent electronics and speakers are made. This will be way better then going to Disney Land. :)

Wayne P

Tom Camlioglu

Stunt Coordinator
Craig,

Right at the top of the 2.1 upgrade PDF:

Ah! Wayne beat me to it ... ;)

Let me know if you can't get a hold of a laptop, I've got it on mine.

Tom:cool:

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
I knew somebody would find the real quote. :)

I was using lazy-man's psychology to get you smart guys to look it up. :p)

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
"Refinements in the digital signal processing has also yielded further sonic improvements resulting in even greater overall clarity, detail and imaging precision."
I can kind of understand how this is possible, but what has had me baffled even back to the beta test phase is that I am getting this kind of improvement in analog bypass mode for my CD player. I would like to believe this has something to do with recalibrating the system, but the improvement is so apparent (especially to my wife) that I am stunned. And how is it possible that Anthem reduced by 1/4 the THD+N for the 2 channel analog inputs in bypass mode using the same tests is beyond me. Not that I am complaining! :)

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks