What's new

The Upgraded Anthem AVM-20 2.1 (1 Viewer)

Nick V

Second Unit
I have one question about the AVM-20. With the possibility of a firewire upgrade in the future, would the AVM-20 require a universal DAC upgrade, or is it currently using the DSD/PCM compatible chips?

I was initially interested in the Krell Showcase, but with the constant firmware upgrades, excellent features, and hardware upgradeability, I think I have my sights set on the Anthem.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Nick,

With the possibility of a firewire upgrade in the future, would the AVM-20 require a universal DAC upgrade, or is it currently using the DSD/PCM compatible chips?
I don't believe that the AVM-20's DACs can be upgraded. Are you aware of any DSD compatible DACs being used in currently available processors and receivers?

Michael

Nick V

Second Unit
Unfortunately I don't think any current pre/pro's use the DSD/PCM DAC's. I was just unsure about which DAC's the AVM-20 uses. I was hoping that it was possible to upgrade the DAC's, but I guess not.:angry:

So, if and when the AVM-20 gets upgraded to firewire, it will be able to perform BM and TA on DVD-A natively (PCM), and it will have to convert DSD to PCM as does the Pioneer 49txi?

I guess it's better than nothing. And it still has a couple sets of Multi ins. for purists such as myself.

Randy Haines

Stunt Coordinator
I'm glad to see this released. Anthem must feel confident now. And even if there are no more upgrades in the future, we now have a world class pre/pro that will be relevant for years to come. And at a price point that is awesome for the features and performance.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Anyone notice a change in sonics and clarity with this upgrade?

I can hear more clarity, distinction and soundstage using SACD playback with the other components following the same trail. The sonics just seem to be a bit "richer" in output.

I'm not alluding that is sounds like a new pre-pro in the sonics area. However, there is a difference that is subtle, yet noticable with my Studio 100's, CC center, 40's, 555ES and Sherbourn components. The change is in a positive context.

Great flexibility and tweaking capabilites that make this unit much more versatile then before. Still reading the manual!!

Charles

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Cruel world! I live in a small city far from any big city. We have 4 computer stores and 1 Rat Shack, but it's impossible to buy or order the 9pin serial cable to perform the upgrade... Sigh...Even rat Shack don't carry it, imagine! I'm trying to find one on the net, but it's really confusing to find the good one because they don't post image of it. So I have to choose between DM9M/DB9F or DB9M/DB9F...

WHY didn't they include this stupid 5$ cable in the original box? Why not RJ-45 or USB, that we can find even at Wal-Mart?

I've send an E-Mail to Sonic frontiers but they don't give me any answers...

:angry:

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Lévesque,

WHY didn't they include this stupid 5$ cable in the original box?
How long of a cable would you expect Anthem to provide? 5'? 10'? 25'? The point is, Anthem can't possibly know how long a cable you might need. What you want is a cable (in the appropriate length) like in the following eBay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3038321973

Please note that I have no association with the eBay seller in question, nor am I suggesting that you bid on this or any other eBay auction. The picture in the auction just gives a good look at what you are trying to find (DB9M->DB9F).

Michael

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Lévesque,

I was able to purchase one of these at Best Buy. I am not sure if Best Buy is in your geographical area, but that is where I purchased mine.

Rat Shack did not have them when I checked many months ago. Also, is it possible, you could borrow the cable from the dealer where you purchased the AVM-20 if it is local?

Charles

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
I went and bought a Belkin db9m/db9f serial mouse extender cable for my upgrade last night. Its the only serial db9 m/f cable that CompUSA had that didnt say modem cable. Please be advised not to buy this cable unless you are prepared to rip it apart. I had to rip off the whole metal casing at the male end because the male end is setup to have the screws going into it. Well, the female on the AVM-20 is supposed to have the screws going into it as well. So, my male end the and AVM female both had these big screw blocks, blocking the cable from connecting. I had to strip off all the metal on the male end so it was just pins to I could plug it in.

Also, I want to add that my first attempt failed to upgrade. I had to do it 3 times before it took. So dont automaticly assume there is something wrong. Just try to install it a few times. It should work. I used a laptop so that I wouldnt have to unhook my unit and carry it to the garage where my home computer is.

I can't wait until I can play with the new settings. This looks like a phenomenal upgrade. I had been wanting the different setting for each input for some time now. Funny thing is, I didnt see this thread until today. I just happened to check Anthems website yesterday for the hell of it, and noticed the new update. I thought people might have had this update for months now and I was the only dolt who didnt know about it.

How lucky I got to just so happen to stumble accoss the website on the very day they released the new upgrade. hehe. Someone was looking out for me :cool:

Levesque

Supporting Actor
How long of a cable would you expect Anthem to provide? 5'? 10'? 25'? The point is, Anthem can't possibly know how long a cable you might need.
6 feet is the average lenght, and I would just have to bring the laptop to it. Not a problem.

BTW, when I needed the cable to upgrade the firmware on my Rotel RSP-1066, Rotel sent me the cable by Purolator for FREE, with the lenght I ask them for... With just 1 E-Mail I got the cable in 2 days...

I just move up north, so my dealer or the nearest dealer is at 7 hours by car... so can't really pay him a visit for a 5$ cable... The nearest big city is at 6 hours...

So I'm stuck.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Lévesque,

I'm trying to find one on the net, but it's really confusing to find the good one because they don't post image of it.
The following web page has some pretty decent images to give you some idea, plus varying lengths (look at the "Male to Female Extension" cables). Note that this company is located in Canada.

http://www.montek.com/catalog/cat77_1.htm

Michael

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Michael your the man!

Was desperately searching for a Canadian site to order from. Will be able to do the upgrade next week !:D :D :D

I still don't understand why they decide on this old serial connection and not something like USB or RJ-45. Everyone are selling those cables, even Wal-Mart!:thumbsdown:

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I still don't understand why they decide on this old serial connection and not something like USB or RJ-45
Well, Anthem is not alone here, as a lot of processors I am aware of use a 9-pin serial cable connection (RS-232), like the Parasound Halo C1 & C2, Sunfire TGIII, and the Lexicon MC-8 & MC-12. Maybe the next generation of processors will use USB or RJ-45.

Michael

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
I still don't understand why they decide on this old serial connection and not something like USB or RJ-45. Everyone are selling those cables, even Wal-Mart!
Perhaps part of the thought process is/was they wanted the dealers to do the upgrade, rather then the end user. My local dealer wanted to charge me when I asked him about it. Most of the guys on this forum have the skills. Perhaps the average user does not.

But once you have the cable, it's :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Erik_C

Stunt Coordinator
Wow wow wow wow wow. Did I say wow? Wow. I just did the v2.10 upgrade. A nice surprise was the notch filter. I really wanted a parametric eq to tame a 42 hz room bump, and guess what? 2.10 has a 42hz notch filter option, selectable both for width and depth of the cut. My system sounds better just because of that. Amazing what a 5 db cut will do to make a sub sound better.
Beyond all the cool new features, though, is what I think is the best part of the new software. It sounds better. When I had recalibrated everything after installing and configuring the new options, and I exited the config menus, the Eagles' Desperado was playing on the radio. Don Henley's voice seemed to float in a space in front of my speakers. This from the radio. not CD, SACD, or DVD-A. Old fashioned radio. It was not like that with v2.09. I've got the biggest grin on my face right now.
I cannot believe this was a free upgrade. Anthem, I'm a fan for life.
-Erik

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator
I am surprised by all those unprepared for the proper connecting cable to use to update their Anthems. I made a point to ask my salesman about it before I bought the unit;
I further found out about it when I downloaded the manual from the Anthem web site. I suppose you could call me an information junkie.

On my way home after buying the unit (four or five months ago), I stopped by Radio Shack and bought the cable (I was a little nervous leaving it in the car), and used it for the first time this morning. I enjoyed a text-book installation of the upgrade, and have had fun playing, watching, and listening all day (nice timing for my day off).

Now, I just found out about this "notch" filter, so I guess I need to educate myself further...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks