What's new

The Upgraded Anthem AVM-20 2.1 (2 Viewers)

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Ron,

It looks like a two step process. I first have to select mode and turn off the pro-logic, then select mode again to actually change modes. In my system with two channel sources, Anthem logic is # 1..
Once you have set the PL-II Mode to "Off", you don't have to do it again unless you somehow reset it back to "Auto". What this does mean is you will have to press the mode button twice when playing DD2.0 sources, first to get the PL-II Mode option, then the DSP Modes (similar to what you just experienced).

With the PL-II Mode set to "Off", you can always go into the setup menus and set the Preset for your DD2.0/2 channel sources to be AnthemLogic Music mode (or whatever you desire as your favorite). Once you do that, you will not need to use the Mode button again unless you want to switch away from the AnthemLogic Music mode for a specific disc.

Michael

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
I was able to get mine to do the same thing. I must have something to do with switching sources before everything is "warmed up". I think if you wait for the "welcome" display to go of and the regular dislay to come on it won't happen anymore. This happened to me a couple of times with v2.09.
Jason, you might have it hear. It happens everytime I use 6 channel then turn it off. I use my ProntoPro macros to turn the unit on. I will increase the delay time in which I change the inputs.

Also, I think I will do what Miike says and reload the new 2.10 and then reset the unit to factory defaults.

Jeff Kleinberg

Stunt Coordinator
Just want to add that I've had the same no sound problem. It went away after a power up/down cycle, so I didn't think too much of it. I thought it was just occuring randomly, but it IS only with the 6chanel input and power down. It also seem to happen when I use the buttons on the unit itself.

Jeff

Hi Michael,

I would hope all DSP processing would be shut down in analog bypass, but I haven't tested it. I don't have a CD player with better DACs than the Anthem at present. I used to have a BAT tubed CD player in my high-end audiophile days, but I just can't go there (to that price range) right now. My wife would also kill me if I did! I'll be in the search for a moderately priced CD player with DACs and power supplies equal to or surpassing the DACs of the Anthem sometime next year, so I can listen to music without listening to some DSP.

I have virtually eliminated all ground loops by using a single dedicated 20 amp powerline for all my equipment plus Richard Gray products and some balanced power cords. But one could never rule out that possibity when using two digital cables. I seem to be, however, fairly good at hearing digital pollution. I unplugged our portable phone downstairs because the little wall wart power charger plus antenna was causing some digital backwash into my system. A 900mhz portable phone is nothing but one big digital broadcaster. I know, I'm insane!!

I also noticed that my speaker levels had to be adjusted up by a half db with this new software. I think others may have had to do this too.

Regards and thanks for listening,
Pete

Dennis Oblow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis
A little off topic but has anyone been able to access the Anthem website in the last few days? Maby the big blackout of a few days ago affected them.

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
A little off topic but has anyone been able to access the Anthem website in the last few days? Maby the big blackout of a few days ago affected them.
The site was down last night. I wanted to download from it and it was not coming up. Paradigm was not either. This mornging I tried again, and no go. But Paradigm was up and had a link to Anthem. That worked. It was the same link I was trying so I am not sure what was up.

Tom@Kl

Auditioning
Newbie here. Good thread, although a long read. AVM 20 is on my list as the next unit in the system. Anticipation is great.......... just have to somehow sell the current gear and replace it with this piece without the wifee knowing that I'm monkeying around again :D

Miguel Stanic

Stunt Coordinator
Since going to 2.10, I notice a pop/spark type noise on my left surround speaker only. It always happens upon the DVD detecting the DD or DTS track. Is anybody experiencing a similar phenomenon. It's really odd as it's always that speaker. It does it the instant a signal (DD or DTS) is detected and does not ever do it again. Just curious if anybody has any ideas.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Miguel & Craig,

Did you guys try my suggestion of performing a Reload Factory Defaults after installing v2.10, then re-entering your setup parameters? I would hate to think that you will be spending this weekend cursing Anthem and your AVM-20.

Michael

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
nope. haven't tried it yet. it's not bothering me really. i just happened to notice that i get a crackle in my rear left speaker when the AVM locks on to a DTS signal. i'll reset it sometime, but i just don't have the patience to go through all the menus again to re-enter all my settings.

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
I dont think that you want to use the setting saver. The point of reseting is to clear anything bad out of the memory and reset it to what the factory thinks is right. If indeed it did have a bad setting causing this issue, the setting save would save that setting and restore it back.

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I finally took the time this morning... reset things... and then went through a whole setup again. Seems to have worked. I put in a few DVD's and couldn't get the speaker to crackle upon signal detection. Thanks!

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Craig,

I am glad restarting from scratch appears to have corrected your problems. Reloading the factory defaults (after the v2.10 install) and re-entering the setup parameters manually (including speaker calibration levels) seems to be a solution for most of the problems that have popped up with the v2.10 upgrade.

If this continues to be the case, say if Miguel's problems are solved with a "clean" install and setup, then I think we should notify Anthem and suggest they amend the v2.10 install instructions as follows:
  1. Write down your setup parameters, at least the important ones
  2. Execute the v2.10 installer
  3. Perform a Reload Factory Defaults
  4. Enter your saved setup parameters manually
  5. Rerun the speaker calibration level tests, as some have experienced differences with prior versions
Michae

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator
I traveled to the Anthem factory last week having the upgraded board and 2.1 software installed. It all went like clock work, installed in two days as promised by Frank and Nick, even though this was at the time of the big black out. The installation takes little time, but they advised they wished to test and "burn in" the new board. They seem like a good group of people.

While at the factory I got a brief look at the faceplate (black) for the Director. If I recall, there was no volume control knob. It had a larger display panel that is some form of gas filled one for better graphics. Otherwise the front was fairly busy with small grey buttons. It looked pretty cool.

It was a pretty hectic time when dropping the unit off and I forgot to ask Nick for an explanation as to why the new software would improve the sonic performance of the AVM 20. When I returned to pick up my unit I got a look at the internal work order while waiting for Frank to come downstairs and I noted a reference to "power supply". I asked Frank what that referred to, noting it had worked perfectly before removing it from my system. He responded in a vague fashion, stating they just installed the new board.

I took two days to drive home and I reinstalled my unit on Sunday.I have started to explore some of the new features. There is so much flexibility I can see I will be experimenting for some time.

My initial impression of this upgrade, having gone from ver 1.2 to 2.1, is of tighter more defined bass in all modes. There also seems to be a change in the mid range as there may be a greater presence, particularly with two channel classical music. It is hard to put your finger on the changes but it is very musical.

I am very pleased with all aspects of this upgrade and look forward to months of tweaking.

Wayne P

BrianKR

Second Unit
Any truth to the rumor Anthem will be releasing their new processor within the next 6 months? I just got back from my local Anthem dealer and he told me to expect a new offer from Anthem by late winter early spring.

I am considering jumping ship with my current processor and going with a Anthem AV20 but this info/rumor has me a little leary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks