1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Upgraded Anthem AVM-20 2.1

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Marc_E, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Jack_W

Jack_W Auditioning

As a newbie to this forum let me thank all of you for your interesting and informative posts. If anyone here also belongs to the TiVo forum you may know me as Jlwine. I too have an Anthem AVM 20. I originally demoed than purchased one back in 2001. Interestingly enough my original demo machine was the Paradigm rep's pre-released unit with software Version 0.99 installed. After auditioning the demo, with the help of my sales rep I successfully lobbied my A/V dealer (Ovation)to become a dealer for Anthem. They have since sold many more units despite the fact that they do not have the Anthems on the floor due to exclusive contracts with other manufacturers. Last year I upgraded my unit with the new processor and software. After downloading v. 2.10 this past Sunday I immediately noticed a couple of things sonically. On the plus side the soundstage, clarity and imaging were even greater than before. On the negative side I seemed to have loss quite a bit of bass and some CD's sounded a little bright. After recalibrating everything I think I'm about back to where I need to be (Hopefully)with the bass and have toned down the treble just a bit to address the brightness. I really do appreciate all the new features especially the notch filter. Being able to download a new manual is nice touch as well. (I bought a binder and page protectors--looks cool [​IMG]) Anthem continues to impress me.

2. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

For those thinking of using quality headphones with the Anthem jack, there is no problem IMHO. The Anthem custom built headphone amp is doing a really good job with my new Sennheiser HD600. Will probably try a dedicated amp someday, but I'm really satisfied with what I hear right now.

Will have to change the skinny Sennheiser cables for some Cardas specially design for the HD600 tough, but no dedicated amp for me now...

Another [​IMG] for the Anthem. Impressing me every day!!!

3. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

I'm sure this has been asked before, but does anybody leave their equipment all the time?
    I have everything running through a Panamax, (Avm, ATI, and sources), but I feel ill at ease leaving them on all the time. Won't the displays burn out? Powering them off I hear all the clicking and stuff so I don't know which is worse.
    Plus my stuff is in a cabinet closed in on all sides except the doors which are cloth covered. It gets very warm, not hot to the touch, but warm. This can't be good either. (I usually leave the doors open durring use.) Should I put a two way fan at the top of my cabinet to draw air in and out? The Anthem is on the top and the shelves go to the back wall so this won't help my amp which is on the bottom, five shelves down.
    I usually leave it off, but my 6 mo. old likes to watch "Baby Einstien" dvds throughout the day and so it gets used off and on(if they're not in THX she loses interest and cries). In fact, now that I think about it, I haven't used it for anything else for like two months. UGH!!!

Suggestions, please?

4. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

HI Chris,

Personally, I leave my equipment on during the day if I see myself watching, listening in that 24 hour period. At bed time hours, I shut everthing down. On weekends so it's on for the entire weekend.

In your case, it sounds like you have someone listening on a periodic basis during the day. Extreme heat is the downfall of most electronic devices and some would say power on and offs could also be the same route to early demise.

If you think its hot in there for the equipment, then put a small fan and maybe even two for intake and exhaust? Or perhaps a new rack if that would be feasable.

I am fortunate that the rack I bought has lots of air flow, so it's not something that concerns me. Also, I don't have a 6 year old who loves Baby Einstein. [​IMG] A future HTF member I am sure.

Fans are fairly inexpensive, but make sure you buy one that is quiet as possible if you decide to go that route.

Much Luck,
    Charles

5. Mike Loiterman

Mike Loiterman Stunt Coordinator

I leave everything on...all the time. Unless I go out of town I leave everything on. Even my TV. I just make sure that I leave it on Tivo, so that there is constant movement on the screen and the channel changes at least every 60 minutes. Burn -in is baad! But I work from home, so I'm always watching or listening to something.

I've had my AVM-20 for a year...its been off like twice. Once at Christmas when I was away and once over the summer when I was away.

You'll get views from both sides, but I believe that turning stuff on and off over and over again is more damaging then leaving the equipment running.

6. Brian Fitterman

Brian Fitterman Stunt Coordinator

7. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim
    Chris,

I only power up my components when I'm using them, otherwise, they are off.

Several of my components are over 20 years old and still going strong.

IMHO, think with properly designed equipment, turning them on and off as needed is not a problem.

JimmyK

8. Brian Fitterman

Brian Fitterman Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone else with 2.10 had this issue

1) listen to the 6 channel input and then powering off.
    2) turn unit on
    3) immediatly change inputs (usualy to an input with optical dig connection (DirecTivo).
    4) that new inputs audio is very very faint with tons of static.

Just changing inputs (to any other input) and then back seems to fix the issue.

I am still running the last 2.10 sent to the testers. I was told it was the same as the one released. Maybe I should download a new copy and try again.

Has anyone else noticed this?

9. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Brian,

10. Michael Mohrmann

Pete,

11. Pete Saunders

Hi Michael,

You would seem to be right, and I have had this discussion with the designers at Anthem and other engineers. But I can definitely hear it, my wife ( who is not into this stuff at all) can hear it and some respected audiophile friends of mine, including Gary Brashear, (the west coast rep of Richard Gray) can easily hear it.

It's not an extra circuit but extra DSP processing the signal goes through. That is why I turn off all speakers except my fronts (which are then set to large) in the music mode. In theory no signal should be sent to anything that is not designated (for example if I were to leave all my speakers on and just change my front speakers to large in music mode), but in reality that just doesn't seem to be the case. There is some digital contamination.

Leaving on two presets set to digital allows for digital contaimination, which leads to a slight loss of transparency resulting a harder midrange, less open and full bass ( which many confuse as tighter bass) and a rolling off of the treble. Decrease digital interference and lower the noise floor and the soundfield opens up more, becomes more resolving, dynamic and sounds more relaxed. The better made the preamp/processor ( better shielding, point to point wiring, better power supplies, etc) the less there will be contaimination of digital amd power supplies. It can be subtle at times but can be heard. This is also why I plug in only one digital cable at a time.

The Anthem is very good for a $3500 pre/pro, and I enjoy it immensely, but it does not have perfect shielding or the best separation of analog from digital. Products such as Meridian 861, Theta Casablanca, Mark Levinson # 30 are much better in this way but cost megabucks ( too much for me now with two growing kids). But the Anthem can be made to sound a little better by doing some of the little tweaks I do.

Also, having good quality speakers, good power filtering and good cabling makes these differences in pre/pros much easier to detect. I also happen to be kinda anal (very according to my wife!) about getting the best sound possible out of my eqiupment. Again, most people will be very happy with the way the Anthem is setup without doing any of what I do.

Regards!

12. Dan Schulze

Dan Schulze Stunt Coordinator

13. Michael Mohrmann

Pete,

Interesting stuff. Maybe I will take the time and see if we (my wife and I) can replicate your conclusions, although we may not have the system necessary to resolve what appears to be subtle changes in sound quality. Then again, we could tell the difference between v2.09 and v2.10 immediately, so we might give it a go anyway.

I do have another question. Are you using digital coax connections? If so, I wonder if you are experiencing any ground loop problems in your system. Even if the component connected via a digital coax cable is powered off, any ground loop could still have an effect on the AVM-20, although I gather you already know this. Maybe the AVM-20's digital input board is not grounded properly. Or as you stated, the AVM-20 is just a $3500 prepro, not expected to perform like a $10K+ prepro.

Fortunately, we are using separate DVD and CD players. Even better is that we use our Audio Refinement CD Complete in analog bypass mode when listening in two channel stereo, which shuts down the digital circuits (or at least I think it does, after reading your posts I am not so sure[​IMG]). I will look at the rest of your suggestions, like assigning all unused inputs to be either analog-dir or analog-dsp, to see if they make a difference in our system.

Michael

14. Jack_W

Jack_W Auditioning

15. jason willder

jason willder Stunt Coordinator

Brian,
    I was able to get mine to do the same thing. I must have something to do with switching sources before everything is "warmed up". I think if you wait for the "welcome" display to go of and the regular dislay to come on it won't happen anymore. This happened to me a couple of times with v2.09.

16. Prathavan V

Prathavan V Stunt Coordinator

Brian,

when you're turing on your unit, are you using the "main" power switch, or are you turning it on "directly" by pressing a "source" input?? I usually turn mine on with a "source" input (ie if I was listening to 6 ch when I turned it off, if I'm going to watch a DVD the next time, I'll turn on the AVM with the DVD source button. As a result, I've never had the same problem you've described.

Nevertheless, I've tried to duplicate your problem as you've described, and I was unable to do so. Sorry.

Jason, "welcome" display?? Mine doesn't have a "welcome" display. Do you mean just after it turns on, (Anthem AVM 20, Preamp / SSP / Tuner), then sets up the last source or the one that I directly powered on with, and then dims the display, or do you actually see the word "welcome"? I'm just wondering because I "was" sure that I'd changed from the beta software to the 'official' release, but now you're making me question my own memory!!

17. Ron L

Ron L Auditioning

First post on this forum..

Installed upgrade last week, just read through the new threat.

Loved all the new features [​IMG] [​IMG] . The notch filter allowed me to dial out a 6db peak at 39hz which took my servo 15 from boom to way smooth but still solid all the way down to 20hz. Down 4db at 18hz[​IMG] [​IMG] .
    I encountered one problem which I think might be caused by the Anthem seeing the dolby flag for a two channel dvd disk. (the Pink bonus disc for Missundaztood) I really like Anthemlogic music mode but could not get into this mode with this disc playing?? Even with thx swithced off all I could get was PL-II,,
    Has anyone else found this?

Ron L.

18. Michael Mohrmann

Ron,

Check section 5.8.2 of the updated v2.1 owner's manual at the bottom of page 26. This describes how the AVM-20 responds to DD2.0 soundtracks, which it sounds like is causing your issue. If you want to override the PL-II mode, set the mode to "Off".

Michael

19. Ron L

Ron L Auditioning

Thanks Michael

It looks like a two step process. I first have to select mode and turn off the pro-logic, then select mode again to actually change modes. In my system with two channel sources, Anthem logic is # 1..

Ron

20. jason willder

jason willder Stunt Coordinator

Pravanthian, I meant the tuner/ssp or whatever it says display. Try putting it on the 6 ch input, turn it off. Turn it back on with the main button. As fast as you can change the source. This is how it happens for me.