What's new

The Upgraded Anthem AVM-20 2.1 (1 Viewer)

George Kouzev

Stunt Coordinator
Brian, I am in the same boat as you. Then I heard a price tag of $6000 US, which within a year or so may translate to a $5000 US street price, close to double current AVM20 price. Well, AVM20 is still too attractive.

GK

BrianKR

Second Unit
George, I just received a PM giving me the details on the Anthem Director (new processor from Anthem). I had no idea it would be that much money. It is out of my price range as well. I would have to hold off on other upgrades for a year if I put out that kind of cash now.

George Kouzev

Stunt Coordinator
Just followed the links that Charles posted, scary stuff. The amplifier "remains stable on dead short" on the outputs and the S/N ratio is > 196dB... I have not seen these around. Add a possibly excellent sound and you have a new league out there...

As for the processor, it really has a shot of being among the top three at any price (given what we have seen from Anthem). Then the price would seem rather reasonable (I hate to admit:). I am all ears (and eyes)... Hopefully there will be an early prototype review soon.

GK

Miguel Stanic

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Michael,

Yes, resetting the unit worked for me. This is really awesome...thanks a lot. Sorry it took me a while but I got caught up with being very busy at work and life in general.

Thanks again for your help and suggestion. I am glad it works for others as well. And yes, the unit does sound better with this version of software. I really notice much deeper and tighter base, surrounds sound better than ever and dialogue is crisp and clear.

The Bryston's have worked in nicely with the AVM20 so I am glad I made the switch from the MCA's. The Bryston's seem to match well with my speakers and setup. I am very content with this setup. I just need to stay away from these forums though because I don't want to get caught up in that next statement piece from Anthem.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
I just need to stay away from these forums though because I don't want to get caught up in that next statement piece from Anthem.
Yup.. I have the same issue too Miguel. Self control is warranted. :D

Happy that the Bryston's have worked out for you and match well with your system. They are excellent amps.

Charles

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Miguel,

Thanks for the update. It appears that the overlay of v2.10 on top of prior software versions can lead to some corruption of the v2.10 settings. I am not sure whether Anthem would be able to track this down, but I think the solution (install v2.10, reload defaults, re-enter setup parameters) is an acceptable one.

So, the only known "bug" is the one pointed out by Pete with regards to the rear speaker "type" (1 or 2 Direct, 1 or 2 Dipole) when you are not using rear speakers. This value should be ignored for any setup without rear speakers, but this is not the case for DD-EX and DTS-ES. Be sure to set the rear speaker "type" to either "2 Direct" or "2 Dipole" if you are not using rear speakers.

Edit: There is a second "bug" related to the above issue that I forgot about. The problem for 5.1 setups that Pete mentioned is if the DVD in question is DD-EX, you can't apply THX Cinema to it. Seems like you should be able to, since the setup is 5.1.

Michael

I had the pop/crackle/spark in ALL channels when 20 switched to DTS. Re-installed v2.10, reloaded factory defaults and went through set-up(manual, not saved)again. Problem solved! :emoji_thumbsup:

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Jordan,

I had the pop/crackle/spark in ALL channels when 20 switched to DTS. Re-installed v2.10, reloaded factory defaults and went through set-up(manual, not saved)again. Problem solved! :emoji_thumbsup:
I am sensing a pattern here! :D Glad to hear that all is well again with your AVM-20.

Michael

Michael,

A pattern indeed! But, a problem that is easily corrected. Hey, we need to spend more time foolin' around with our gear anyway, right? Like we need an excuse:D

BTW, another Thank You for all your efforts relating to the AVM-20....I salute you:emoji_thumbsup:

Jordan

EdB

Auditioning
HELP
Here is my tale of woe. I bought a new Anthem. It had a defective DSP board. I took it to the local dealer. They had to wait for a new board from Ahthem. That took weeks. Finally, last Friday, the good folks at Ahthem told me they found a board for me and would ship it off. Okay, so far so good.
BUT, in the interium I called the local dealer 3-4 times to MAKE SURE they would install the new software because I am ... challenged. "Oh, yes, no problem" I was told each time. Today, before my wife made the 60 mile round trip to the dealer, we checked again. "Oh yes, everything is ready."
So the unit comes in. I plug it in and check the status."Version 2.09" !!
I call the dealer. "Oh,we put in everything Ahthem sent us."
I thought I was going to die.
So, tell me please, is it REALLY safe for me to do this myself?
Thanks,
Ed B

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
Ed,
Yes it is safe for you to do it. I live in Chandler and if you need any help just emai me at [email protected] and I'll come help you if necessary. All you need is a laptop and to download the software and the rest is a piece of cake. I've done 3 upgrades on the unit and had no problems whatsoever. If you email me I'll give you my phone number as well.

Mike

EdB

Auditioning
Thanks for your help Mike.
I got a cable, hooked up the computer. And realized how easy the install is. At least so far. Now I am off to hook up this bad boy so I can finally start enjoying it.
E.

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
I know we just had a new upgrade, but what are the chances of seeing ProLogic IIx in a future upgrade? Is there any room left for a new/modified surround mode?

I use ProLogic II Movie on a daily basis while watching digital cable... I'd love to make use of my rear channels using IIx.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Craig,

I know we just had a new upgrade, but what are the chances of seeing ProLogic IIx in a future upgrade? Is there any room left for a new/modified surround mode?
If the memory space is near capacity as it was stated after the v2.1 upgrade, it would seem unlikely that Anthem could fit PLIIx into the AVM-20. But Anthem has surprised us before, so anything is possible.

Let's have some fun here. Let's assume that v2.1 basically maxed out the spare space that was in the AVM-20, but let's say that PLIIx could be coded into the AVM-20 provided some of the software was removed from v2.1. What would owners be willing to lose in order to gain PLIIx?

I have no idea whether PLIIx could be coded into the AVM-20 or whether Anthem would be willing to do so. If the Director finally makes it to the public, it is possible that Anthem may be looking at a successor to the AVM-20 next, which would very likely include PLIIx.

Michael

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Re-installed v2.10, reloaded factory defaults and went through set-up(manual, not saved)again. Problem solved!
Is it really necessary to reinstall v2.10? Would it work if I just reset to factory defaults then manually entered my settings?

Thanks.

JimK

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Jimmy,

Is it really necessary to reinstall v2.10? Would it work if I just reset to factory defaults then manually entered my settings?
I think you are correct, I don't believe you need to re-install v2.10 (although it can't hurt). The reloading of the factory defaults is the key step.

Michael

AllenP

Auditioning
I would like to know when you calibrate your speakers using the internal test tones of the AVM 20 and then put a test disc in like VE are they the same. I am looking at this for my next upgrade for my SSP. I know now with my 5600 they are not the same and it becomes a pain to flip back in fourth.
Allen

Dan Schulze

Stunt Coordinator
Allen

My understanding (someone correct me if I am wrong) is that you use the internal test tones (and your trusty Radio Shack SPL meter) to set the output to 75db. Once that is achieved, you then can use VE or Avia to set the speaker volume using the "Individual Speaker Level controls" on the AVM 20 or on the remote. Bear in mind that the AVM 20 memorizes the speaker levels for each surround mode, so you will have to adjust these separately for each mode (ie; DD, DTS, Anthem-Logic Cinema, Pro-Logic etc).

SVS has some great info about what level to set your system to depending if you are using VE or Avia. (Unfortunately I can't post the link - I get this message "In an effort to cut down on the number of members that just post a thread to post a URL to another site you are not allowed to post URLs to other sites until you're here somewhat longer." - what's up with that!?)

Anyway it is in the FAQ's ( FAQ #10) of their website "www . svsubwoofers . com"
Here is the URL without the link. (www . svsubwoofers.com/faq.htm#meter) (I had to leave spaces because this was the only way I could post the URL.)

On my system once I had used the AVM 20's internal test tones, the only level I had to adjust was my sub. I did not have to adjust the other individual speaker levels, they were right on. I did, mind you, boost my sub level 3.5db after I calibrated the system, just because I like it like that!!

Dan

Levesque

Supporting Actor
My dealer just confirm that I will receive my new Denon DVD-5900 at the end of september/october. I want to use those IEEE1394 ports!

Is it not the time now for Anthem to proceed to the upgrade with this connection on the AVM20? I think IEEE1394 will appear everywhere after CEDIA.

What about the DVI port on my new Denon (I know it's not "activated" at first). Will it be possible to remove all those composite-video plugs that noone ever use to replace them with DVI switching? (I know... Everyone can dream? No?).

Does someone knows when they will make the upgrade to IEEE1394 disponible on the AVM20?

BTW, my dealer is giving me 100% credit on my Denon DVD-3800, even after 9 months of abuse! I love my dealer!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks