What's new

The Twilight Zone (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
DaveHof2 said:
On days like this one has been, when this whole world gives me a headache, I always think back on the episode "A Stop at Willoughby." Point me to that train station.
Your post had me intrigued as such I had to watched the episode. I watched the episode and it was well done!! It is no wonder that Twilight Zone after 50 years is still a great show!!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
A Stop At Willoughby is a great one too. The only thing that I don't like about it is that

(spoiler text for those that have had the episode sitting on their DVRs for the last 53 years)
Williams dies. Granted, he ends up in heaven and is happy but it's still pretty grim that he had to die to achieve some kind of happiness.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
TravisR said:
A Stop At Willoughby is a great one too. The only thing that I don't like about it is that

(spoiler text for those that have had the episode sitting on their DVRs for the last 53 years)
Hi Travis, Twilight Zone had some amazing endings to their episodes!! Hopefully film students today are studying the techniques uses by Twilight Zone, including writing as way to how things should be done!

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
TravisR said:

Williams dies. Granted, he ends up in heaven and is happy but it's still pretty grim that he had to die to achieve some kind of happiness.
I didn't know that DVRs were invented in 1960! :laugh: :biggrin: :rolling-smiley:

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi travis,

one thing i am finding out about all these shows is that i forget the details very quickly.

heck, i am just currently watching this show, but did not recall the guy dying.

i just remembered the main idea that the show got across.

in a way, this is sorta good for me - i can enjoy repeats of shows much sooner than i might otherwise !!

in fact, if any of you mentioned any particular tz episode with some specific questions, i would have to re-watch it, before i would want to make a comment about it.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i meant to say that i am currently watching the show of twilight zone, not the willoughby episode - i saw that awhile back.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
the hunt - good

showdown - little meaning

kick the can - excellent

it is not that i dislike the shows with little meaning. but they are nothing that i would care to see again.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
piano - ouch, up there with the best
last rites - no real meaning
to serve man - a classic
the fugitive - good
little girl lost - good

gosh, just about every single episode has an actor in it that will one day get famous. some probably already were.

the piano of course, had lieutenant gerard

i always thought that lurch played in to serve man, but i did not see his name listed.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
jimmyjet said:
while almost all the shows had a twist to them, some of them also had a deeper meaning to them.

those where the episodes that i had recalled from watching them.

i am watching the entire collection at the moment.

i was a little disappointed, because i was expecting them all to have deeper meanings.

in truth, it is only about 1 episode in 5.
I have now watched most of the first season (up until The Purple Testament) and have found some stunning episodes and some that I really have not liked.

My favorites so far are:
1. Walking Distance
2. Time Enough At Last (the most painful instance of irony I have every seen)
3. I Shot an Arrow into the Air
4. The Hitch-hiker (really got under my skin and creeped me out)

Regarding bad episodes:
The 16mm Shrine: rips off Sunset Boulevard and feels like a standard TV soap aside from one specific scene at the end.
The Fever: a repetitive cycle of a man getting destroyed by a slot machine plays out like a 25-minute Gamblers Anonymous commercial.
The Four of us are Dying: Just plain hated this one.

Then of course there are the underrated ones, like Mr. Denton on Doomsday and The Last Flight.

I've also seen scattered episodes from the rest of the series, thanks to Sci-Fi Channel re-runs. These include; Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up?, Death's Head Revisited, and Nightmare at 20,000 Feet; all of which I loved, particularly Death's Head.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Maybe I'm reading too much into this...but Leonard Nimoy's commentary on Zone sounded patronizing. He kept referring to Zone having "a shelf life" but his tone of voice was saying to me...but it's no Star Trek. My thought was...the writing and guest stars runs CIRCLES around Trek and I love Trek Original. It's in my all-time top five as is Zone.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
that is one of my best episodes, but i have not watched many of the extras - did not find them all that entertaining.

nimoy played such a small part in it.

i will go back and watch it when i get done with the series.

star trek, for the most part, did involve serious topics to discuss - it was a very good show.

tz does this as well, in many of the episodes.

but i find it a bit hard to compare the 2 shows, as they are so different.

ColColt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
For all you TZ lovers, I got a magazine the other day called Critic's Choice that has the complete series...some 156 episodes on DVD. Price is $127 for DVD or $300 for BR.

They also have the complete series of Thriller.(67 episodes)

ccvideo.com

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
person or persons unknown - not much meaning

little people - ouch, that one was deep

quite a few of them really show us something about ourselves

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
four o'clock - good

frisby - not much meaning

on to the last disk of season 3

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks