What's new

The Twilight Time News and Info Thread (2 Viewers)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Let's put things in perspective. In 1977/78 I paid $29.95 for a short snippet of STAR WARS at E.J. Korvettes. It was in spectacular Super 8mm and glorious monophonic sound. ;) According to a Google search, that would be the equivalent of $124.00 today.

Yes, home theater can be an expensive hobby from a hardware point of view, but as for the software prices, these are the best of times, especially from an audio/visual viewpoint.

Yeah, I can remember seeing The Man With Two Brains VHS for sale at £70 in a London shop back in the early eighties, & laser discs weren't cheap. A lot of people over at Blu-ray.com want Blu-rays for next to nothing, esp. those great Universal monster sets, which I always thought were priced dirt cheap...& now Universal don't seem to release these catalogue films themselves, they license them out, & they're a lot more expensive. The loss of Nick Redman must have been a huge blow, & maybe one they can't come back from, but I hope they do.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The Internet has devalued most forms of entertainment for which people used to gladly pay. With all kinds of streaming options, people now think they should be entitled to get movies and music for practically free.
No doubts on that one.
And if "free" were to ever occur then some might even go so far as to ask for a refund, as well.:D

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
It feels like a "store closing " sale
Bite your tongue !!!:eek:
That's what I was thinking.
Et tu Brute? P-L-E-A-S-E, let us all begin to think upon more happier thoughts.
Example: "Hey there, HTFers, I hear that TT has just begun another one of their fantastic sales.
What a great chance for me to catch up on some of those coveted titles that I once could not afford."

My thanks to Brian Jamieson for giving us a wonderful September sale.:)

Last edited:

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
It still baffles me that after all their sales and a regularly discounted price for an extended period of time, that Save Your Legs hasn’t sold out. It’s such a delightful comedy. I know it’s not well known, but I figured that for as long as was priced at $6.95 and now with the sale, more people would have taken a chance. It was one of the best blind buys I’ve made from TT.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Let's put things in perspective. In 1977/78 I paid $29.95 for a short snippet of STAR WARS at E.J. Korvettes. It was in spectacular Super 8mm and glorious monophonic sound. ;) According to a Google search, that would be the equivalent of $124.00 today.

Yes, home theater can be an expensive hobby from a hardware point of view, but as for the software prices, these are the best of times, especially from an audio/visual viewpoint.
Talk about a store name from my youth.

Last edited:

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
When it comes to home video, we have high demands and short memories. I remember waiting for shows to come on network television after they have left the theater, or never even made it to my local cinema house. Then it was shown, censored, pan and scanned, cut to fit the alloted time, and interrupted with multiple commercials. And it was all we had and we loved it. If someone told me as a twelve year old I would own copies of film that look better then when they were originally shown, I would have thought i died and gone to heaven.
Now it's "Is that all? No extras? No Director's Cut? No 4K? No 3D? No Sale!!! And I want it for under $10 bucks!" Any resemblance to anyone else on this forum is entirely coincidental.

Back to the sale:
I'm waiting for my first batch to arrive, and already contemplating which ones I will put on my second order in a week or so. Thanks TT!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I filled in many missing titles today and looking forward to the shipment.

On the comment that this looks like a fire sale, I would agree if all the titles were less than $10. The sale prices are many values with most above $15. I don’t think that makes this a fire sale.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Some newer releases aren't even on sale, which also is a promising sign that this isn't a close out sale.

Not a long list of course, but they'd have no reason to hold back anything that's already been released if they were preparing to close the doors.

Last edited:

willyTass

Supporting Actor
If twilight time coulda got The Omen from fox’s Recent 4k revisit I’m sure they would have sold 3000 copies in a week

Reactions: PMF

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
When it comes to home video, we have high demands and short memories. I remember waiting for shows to come on network television after they have left the theater, or never even made it to my local cinema house. Then it was shown, censored, pan and scanned, cut to fit the alloted time, and interrupted with multiple commercials. And it was all we had and we loved it. If someone told me as a twelve year old I would own copies of film that look better then when they were originally shown, I would have thought i died and gone to heaven.
Now it's "Is that all? No extras? No Director's Cut? No 4K? No 3D? No Sale!!! And I want it for under $10 bucks!" Any resemblance to anyone else on this forum is entirely coincidental.

Your post is astute. I remember the days you remember. We do get easily spoiled. We forget what it used to be like. Well, I don't. It was routine for me to buy 3-6 laser discs each month at anywhere from $30-75. each. We thought lasers were the cat's meow. The emergence of letterboxing, commentary tracks, better PQ, etc. Well, we take all that for granted now, plus have Blu-ray/4K and gigantic displays. I only wish all this had happened when I was, say, 30.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Dragged my feet for a bit, but ordered Gidget, The Train (Encore Edition), and The Whole Town's Talking tonight.

Had thought about Black Widow with Ginger Rogers, but had an opportunity to watch this a week ago and feel satisfied now. Interesting film, but I think I'm good with the one viewing.

For the first time I'm basically caught up with Twilight Time releases, with nothing left on my wish list. Hopefully that starts to change again shortly.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I had to put a new roof on our house a couple of weeks ago, so I've been a little short on discretionary spending. I ended up buying Che, In the French Style, and Scorpio.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
I ended up buying Che, In the French Style, and Scorpio.

I'm a big fan of TT's Scorpio disc -- great quality and a terrific commentary track.

This is a somewhat unfairly unsung title in the scheme of '70s espionage/conspiracy thrillers in that it holds the honor of being the first -- and, after CIA and White House leadership saw it -- for many ensuing years the only movie to be allowed to be filmed at CIA's Langley HQ. Here's the entertaining story on that:

https://www.spyculture.com/cia-documents-scorpio-first-movie-film-langley/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks