What's new

The Twilight Time News and Info Thread (2 Viewers)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
That’s probably an indication at how quickly physical media sales are declining. I remember when TT didn’t have any sales and their rationale was that if they started having sales, then everyone would simply wait for one and people would stop paying full price for their discs. I think that’s probably what’s happened. But I’m not sure they had a choice because they’re in a very tough market and everyone else runs sales all the time.

My minor point of irritation was over American Buffalo. I did a blind buy on that one years ago because TT said that they had lost the license and were being ordered to destroy all unsold inventory after 30 days. They made it very clear that it was the last chance to buy it so I did. Then I saw the movie, hated it, and couldn’t even give it away. And yet, TT continues to sell it years later. That’s the one and only time I personally feel taken advantage of by them, not because I didn’t like it, but because they said they’d be destroying unsold copies after 30 days and clearly that didn’t happen. Lesson learned, not falling for that one again.

I remember that. They were initially told they were going to need to destroy inventory, but were given a reprieve by the studio.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]American Buffalo.
[...]I saw the movie, hated it, and couldn’t even give it away.
[...]And yet, TT continues to sell it years later.[...]
American Buffalo was the worst adaptation of a David Mamet play ever to be put to film.
BTW, Josh, even Twilight Time can't seem to give it away;
sale after sale after sale;
which has provided a bit of fun in watching just how long it may take.
Nonetheless, I'm rooting for TT on this current sale; as its now down to 5 bucks.

Now with that said, I recommend this disc;
not for the film, itself, but for the commentary track with Nick Redman and Julie Kirgo.
I recommend it for those who hold interests in David Mamet;
in stage to film discussions;
in how Al Pacino and Robert Duvall could own the role and Hoffman somehow could not;
and in why American Buffalo is not as foolproof a production as many may think.
For that, I felt it was well worth my 15 bucks;
and now its for all others who remain to have it for only 5 easy dollars.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
American Buffalo was the worst adaptation of a David Mamet play ever to be put to film.
BTW, Josh, even Twilight Time can't seem to give it away;
sale after sale after sale;
which has provided a bit of fun in watching just how long it may take.
Nonetheless, I'm rooting for TT; as its now down to 5 bucks.

Now with that said, I recommend this disc;
not for the film, itself, but for the commentary track with Nick Redman and Julie Kirgo.
I recommend it for those who hold interests in David Mamet;
in stage to film discussions;
in how Al Pacino and Robert Duvall could own the role and Hoffman somehow could not;
and in why American Buffalo is not as foolproof a production as many may think.
For that, I felt it was well worth my 15 bucks;
and now its for all others who remain to have it for only 5 paltry dollars.

BTW, I was blown away to hear Julie Kirgo speak of the Pacino production she saw in 1981;
as it was the same one I had attended, as well. Her reminiscences were accurate.
i AGREE execpt I liked the film as well ... ;)

Reactions: PMF

PatrickDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Patrick
That’s probably an indication at how quickly physical media sales are declining. I remember when TT didn’t have any sales and their rationale was that if they started having sales, then everyone would simply wait for one and people would stop paying full price for their discs. I think that’s probably what’s happened. But I’m not sure they had a choice because they’re in a very tough market and everyone else runs sales all the time.

My minor point of irritation was over American Buffalo. I did a blind buy on that one years ago because TT said that they had lost the license and were being ordered to destroy all unsold inventory after 30 days. They made it very clear that it was the last chance to buy it so I did. Then I saw the movie, hated it, and couldn’t even give it away. And yet, TT continues to sell it years later. That’s the one and only time I personally feel taken advantage of by them, not because I didn’t like it, but because they said they’d be destroying unsold copies after 30 days and clearly that didn’t happen. Lesson learned, not falling for that one again.

I bought "American Buffalo" for the same reason and feel BURNED big time as a result!!

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves, that we are underlings

It's funny how many of us (myself included) share the same feeling about American Buffalo, but I have to chastise myself for feeling that way, as I don't believe they were deliberately trying to mislead us. If nothing else, this should educate us on how we impulse shop.

It isn't as if TT put a gun to my head, or made it a requirement to buy AB if I wanted to purchase a certain title, or anything like that. They told me (and the rest of us) that they were losing their rights to sell it, which nudged me to buy it. There are probably a myriad of reasons (last chance, opportunity to re-sell at a higher price, etc) why we pulled the lever on this title, but it was our decision.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I think maybe “taken advantage of” was harsh on my part. I don’t think they acted in bad faith.

Yes, I thought the same thing back then, but my gut instinct told me every thing Twilight Time has done since the beginning has been exceptional. From the quality of the films they pick to the presentation, right down to the packaging/shipping. They couldn't treat their customers that way, after all everything they have achieved was because of us in the first place.

I'm glad to find out I was wrong about that aspect of their business model.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yes, I thought the same thing back then, but my gut instinct told me every thing Twilight Time has done since the beginning has been exceptional. From the quality of the films they pick to the presentation, right down to the packaging/shipping. I'm glad to find out I was wrong about their destruction of remaining inventory.

Agreed.

I learned a valuable lesson - I no longer make blind buys solely because a title that is available in multiple formats (DVD, Blu-ray, streaming, etc) is going out of print in one of those formats.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Just saw

Peyton Place
The Rivers Edge (Ray milland/ Anthony Quinn)
The revolt of Mamie Stover
Satan never sleeps

All blind buys for me . Can’t believe the quality of theses transfers , all look like 4k scans to me
Great movies too

I see people at other sites with the siege mentality of “ill buy when they hit” $9-95

I feel sorry for twilight time management investing so much time and money into these transfers and having people complain about the price

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks