What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
What their innovative, masterful The Red Shoes did for cinematic ballet, Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger’s The Tales of Hoffmann does for cinematic opera, a one of a kind hauntingly artistic endeavor that transfixes with its own brand of eccentric, melancholic frivolity.

The Tales of Hoffmann (1951)

Released: 13 Jun 1952
Rated: Not Rated
Runtime: 128 min

Director: Michael Powell, Emeric Pressburger
Genre: Fantasy, Music, Musical

Cast: Moira Shearer, Robert Rounseville, Ludmilla Tchérina
Writer(s): Dennis Arundell, Jules Barbier, Michael Powell

Plot: A melancholy poet reflects on three women he loved and lost in the past: a mechanical performing doll, a Venetian courtesan, and the consumptive daughter of a celebrated composer.

IMDB rating: 7.1
MetaScore: N/A...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Re: why no 4K release? I suspect Criterion may be wanting to see how the BD sells before considering a 4K release. It is also possible that Criterion has only licenced BD rights at this time.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
This is my absolute favourite Powell and Pressburger movie ... but there's no suggestion here that the Criterion is superior to the Region B Studio Canal edition. No need to double-dip.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
This is my absolute favourite Powell and Pressburger movie ... but there's no suggestion here that the Criterion is superior to the Region B Studio Canal edition. No need to double-dip.
I also have the Studio Canal Blu. My friend Bruce, who did the commentary, said that they worked on the master from Studio Canal, and improved it considerably, and that I would have to buy the Criterion because of that. But I doubt that it's improved to the extent that you need to buy it again. I don't think I would. I'm getting it again for Bruce's commentary, which I collect. And also to have The Sorcerer’s Apprentice in HD. But probably not until a sale at some point in the future.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I also have the Studio Canal Blu. My friend Bruce, who did the commentary, said that they worked on the master from Studio Canal, and improved it considerably, and that I would have to buy the Criterion because of that. But I doubt that it's improved to the extent that you need to buy it again. I don't think I would. I'm getting it again for Bruce's commentary, which I collect. And also to have The Sorcerer’s Apprentice in HD. But probably not until a sale at some point in the future.
Barnes & Noble's 50% off Criterion sale coming next month, I believe. Perfect timing.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Your friend Bruce is one of the very best commentators in the business, and while I respect Martin Scorsese very much, I was so glad every time Bruce took over the track.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Bruce Eder's commentaries on laserdisc are among the best ever recorded. I always used to listen to them. The commentaries on Scorsese's, as well as Powell and Pressburger's Criterion laserdiscs, were incredibly informative and well-presented. Being able to listen to the commentary again on Tales Of Hoffman is absolutely worth double-dipping for me!

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Bruce Eder's commentaries on laserdisc are among the best ever recorded. I always used to listen to them. The commentaries on Scorsese's, as well as Powell and Pressburger's Criterion laserdiscs, were incredibly informative and well-presented. Being able to listen to the commentary again on Tales Of Hoffman is absolutely worth double-dipping for me!
I agree. I find myself listening to them over and over. I especially like his commentary for HENRY V, which I'm glad to see that ITV ported over for their Blu-Ray.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
It will most likely begin on July 1st. I'll check beforehand and post the starting date as soon as I find out.
I'm going to buy this. I didnt realize how much of an influence this film was on Kenneth Anger's Inauguration of Pleasure Dome.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I'm somewhat familiar with the opera having seen it a couple of times at the Met and listening to recordings. I imagine I will find this very different. More Powell and Pressburger than Offenbach. Though as uncompleted at his death many feel that we don't know how Offenbach might have really wanted it.

Might the 4k really be a possibility? Maybe I'll wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks