What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: The Red Shoes (1948) (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Bad Raptor

Agent
Real Name
Brian Watt
Hey guys!

I have heard so many great things about this film from all of you. Some of the best films I have watched were discovered through those recommendations.

I am intrigued by THE RED SHOES, but honestly, I don't like ballet.

Are there other elements to this film that I would enjoy outside of that? I am considering purchasing the 4k when it goes on sale at some point.
The film is so much more than about ballet. It's about obsession, honor, manipulation, loyalty, and the creative process with several touches of humor. And you'll see that the ballet sequence of the Red Shoes itself breaks the confines of the stage and becomes a more, fascinating sequence than merely documenting a ballet on stage.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm not a fan of ballet per se either Ron, but I find The Red Shoes to be a completely engaging and enjoyable film, and it is a feast for the eyes.

Doug, I always hold your opinions in high regard. Thank you. It will eventually be purchased.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
TCM sometimes broadcasts Dr. Coppelius (1966) produced by Samuel Bronston which even if you are not a fan of ballet is a enjoyable film that reminds me of The Red Shoes and would make a nice double feature.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
TCM sometimes broadcasts Dr. Coppelius (1966) produced by Samuel Bronston which even if you are not a fan of ballet is a enjoyable film that reminds me of The Red Shoes and would make a nice double feature.

That segues into another sumptuous Powell & Pressburger masterpiece, Tales of Hoffman. The story that inspired the ballet Coppelia was written by the real Hoffman that the character of Hoffman is based on. The Tale of Olympia (featuring Moira Shearer again) in Tales of Hoffman features the life-sized doll made by Dr. Coppelius.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks Angelo and Brian. I will put this on my Criterion wish list along with High Sierra.
I hope you like this movie as it's kind of long at 135 minutes and slow in some parts. I'll be buying the 4K disc to replace my 2010 Criterion Blu-ray.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
. . . in which case the only real question is does 4K provide a noticeable improvement on the superb Blu-ray disc.
Newer films benfit from the 4K format, with older films ( pre 70) I have seen little difference between Blu-ray remastered and the released 4K versions, but that's just me...bottom line is if the film can benfit from a digital remastered presentation in either an upgraded Blu-ray or 4K edition, I say go for it!!! In the end it's about presenting the best version to the film that's possible. I remember being thrilled when a movie came out on VHS!!! LOL!!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
. . . in which case the only real question is does 4K provide a noticeable improvement on the superb Blu-ray disc.
For me, my player does not play 4K discs I do have the Criterion Blu ray release and it was stunning!! I bougt it the same time I bought "The Life and Times of Cornel Blimp"another classic UK production.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I love the film, and the Blu-ray looks superlative. I will await review of the 4k of that and CITIZEN KANE before ordering, however, as Criterion has not yet estalished a rep in that format. I'm guessing it will be awesome.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
It's reviewed on blu-ray com but I want to hear Robert Harris wax lyrical!

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
Svet's review decoded into something resrmbling coherency: "its the blu-ray but darker."

There. Saved ya a read.

Besides it being darker it sounds like he still thought it was an improvement over the blu-ray.

"I honestly can't see how you can ever get a better technical presentation of it at home. I was very impressed"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks