What's new

The Summer's Biggest Bomb.... (1 Viewer)

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I think we have a winner.
The Adventures of Pluto Nash
Budget: $90m
First weekend: $2.2m est
Screen average: $927
Ouch!

Ed Faver

Second Unit
Have to agree with Scott on Windtalkers as the technical champ of losers. I'm sure Sony isn't happy with the results they are getting from Stuart Little 2. It's taken in a little more than 50 million when they had to be expecting it to do 150 million after the success of the first and the good reviews the new film received.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Did Pluto Nash even have any print ads? Our local Friday paper didn't even advertise it, although it was in the movie listings...
BTW, at this time, Pluto Nash nets a big fat ZERO at RottenTomatoes.com - is that a first??:thumbsdown:
I gues this means there won't be an "**Official PLUTO NASH Discussion/Review Thread" :D

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Not sure about the print ads, I didn't see any either, but I read that Eddie Murphy refused to promote it.

Does anyone know exactly why this film was delayed for two years?

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I'm fairly certain that Master of Disguise also holds that honor
I followed that on RT and is was 0 Positives for a while but by the end of the Opening Weekend it recieved 1 Positive, and the quote from the critic was :-
"I know I shouldn’t have laughed, but hey, those farts got to my inner nine-year-old." :laugh:

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
From that NYTimes article:
On the Hollywood Stock Exchange, a Web-based game in which players "buy" and "sell" stars and film properties like stocks, "Pluto" has traded lately at a level that suggests an expected opening weekend box-office take as high as $28 million.
As a player of HSX, I sure am glad I passed on buying that stock.
But in a positive Murphy light, I can't wait for I Spy.
A bit off topic...
There sure are alot of spy movies coming out. With xXx, The Tuxedo, Die Another Day and I Spy all coming out in the next couple months with xXx already leading the pack which do you think will bomb if any? I know all of the studios are hoping for a 007 type franchise. MGM has theirs, and Revolution Studios seems to have one now too. Do you think Dreamworks will get one with Tuxedo and Columbia Pictures with I Spy?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I can't really see The Tuxedo becoming one - the trailer plays to silence just about every time I see it. I Spy may be a hit, but then you've got to pay for Owen Wilson AND Eddie Murphy again; it seems like this would price it out of the market.

(Of course, they said that about Men In Black)

Craig_T

Second Unit
Pluto Nash made $636,904 in its second week. Down over 70% from its colossal 10th place opening. It averaged $274 in 2,320 theaters. Even the producers of Cutthroat Island are laughing.

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the biggest cinematic flop (a.k.a. money-loser) is Cutthroat Island. (Link Removed has those numbers at $92 million in expense against a $9.9m domestic B.O. take. (The IMDb states that CI made $11m.)) Pluto Nash may end up making $6-8 million against an estimated budget of $90 million production/$20 million marketing.
According to IMDB,Town & Country had a domestic box office of $6.7 million against a budget of $90 million. That makes it a very strong contender for all-time bomb champ.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I can't really see The Tuxedo becoming one - the trailer plays to silence just about every time I see it.
Same experience here, Jason. I agree, that film looks like trouble.
But heck, September/early October is the other dumping ground of the year (following JAN/FEB) so we might see several good runs at it.
Time to catch up on rentals of good films you missed. :)

Some movies like the remake of "The Time Machine" and Diane Lane's "Unfaithful" are doing as good if not better business overseas than they did domestically.

According the boxofficemojo "Unfaithful" for instance has pulled in over $100 million worldwide and has still to open in Asia. I spoke to someone at Fox who said the film is already turning a profit with Asian figures, home video/DVD and TV still to come.

Reni D

Stunt Coordinator
How about The Adventures of Pluto Nash That movie BOMB so bad it was not even funny

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks