The Street Fighter (1974)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Terry St, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Terry St

Terry St Second Unit

Does anyone know if a decent version of this Sonny Chiba film exists, or if a new DVD is planned? I thought there might be some renewed interest in this film since Chiba is going to be in an upcoming Tarantino flick (Kill Bill), and since Tarantino seems to have been a longtime fan of this film. There appears to be several versions floating around now, but none of them look particularily promising. (soom look downright dodgy)

2. Eric Meske

Eric Meske Stunt Coordinator

I believe I read somewhere else that New Line had the rights and was planning a new release soon, but I can't remember where I read that.

I too am anxiously awaiting a good release of this cult classic.

3. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

The DVDs look horrible compared to the LDs -- released by New Line/Image -- and should be avoided.

4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

While it may be horrible quality, Amazon has the current DVD listed for $4.99 here.

5. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    It looks to be a direct port of the LD and looks like $4.99, I needed my Chiba skull-crushin' fix and picked it up a year or so ago..

6. Todd Robertson

Todd Robertson Second Unit

I didnt think the VCI release from 2002 was all that bad. at least it did not ruin my fun with the film. cant wait to see a new dvd though.

7. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I got a disc from DDD last year which has 3 or 4 Street Fighter movies on it for under $10. Not the greatest quality, but not *that* horrible IIRC, so if you just want a fix it's probably the best deal.

8. Terry St

Terry St Second Unit

So far this is about what I suspected. Perhaps this is the sort of thing that might get some attention after Kill Bill (assuming it does well) if not before. Anyways, I think I'll pick up one of the cheap copies of this just to hold me over.

Can anyone recommend any other Sonny Chiba flicks that feature good transfers or are good enough to be worth picking up now rather than waiting for better to come along?