What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Star Trek Enterprise appreciation and Season 4 discussion thread (this one's for the fans). (1 Viewer)

NeilO

Senior HTF Member

Well, Daniels did say that if they defeat the Space Nazis then their timeline will be restored. Just what that means is a big question. How big a reset button will that be? Will all of last season and the attack by the Xindi be undone? Will other things from the first two seasons be undone? Or will it just be the Nazi timeline that is undone?

Neil

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Or, they could leave it undone, and in this new timeline, new actors playing Kirk and Spock and Dr Bone could have a new series where they have the same personalities but live new lives (just as brave and bold and babe-bedding as before).

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
Thanks Dewitt and Jason for posting that transcript link. I not only got a few minutes' reprieve from a difficult day but I really am excited about this season.

I knew Mr Coto was not just a one-hitless wonder (regarding O5, which was wonderful but obviously not a hit.)

I wll watch Storm Front Part II just to see how the TCW plot wraps up but cannot wait for "Home"

I predict a reset that makes the Xindi not exist in the current timeline is in order and will occur. It was time travelers that convinced them that Earth was a threat to begin with. I cannot wait to see Trip reunited with his sister.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I don't know... As much as I'd like to erase season three, simply undoing dramatic events doesn't sit well with me. Trip lost his sister and it made his optimism take a hit; dramatically, I don't think you should undo it. Also, plot-wise, I don't think I want to lose the whole idea of the Federation-to-be peoples being forcibly reminded that there are incredible dangers beyond their borders and that they'd be best off supporting each other.

The Xindi story was a bad one based on an idiot plot and stretched out far too long (though it's not as dumb as the Temporal Cold War), but some of its effects are worth preserving. Just so long as Coto realizes that this stuff belongs in the past and while it can be referenced, it is never, ever, ever to be used again.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Well, darn, I just checked my cable lineup for this week: Knology cable seems to have moved WBEK (UPN) from channel 7 to 96, and 7 is now WRDW-DT. OK, trouble is, I can't find Enterprise anywhere on the lineup. I'v been watching this frigging show for 3 years now, and I can't see the G------- wrapup?

This is so typical of cable companies, to play screw-around. I am seriously mad.:angry:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just remembered, there was one show last year where Daniels wisks Archer off Enterprise and into a future Enterprise. Without giving this a lot of thought and recall to the plot, my recollection is that Daniels argues that if Archer dies while trying to destroy the Xindi weapon, the future of the Federation is at stake. And that future included Xindi species as part of the Federation. So the reset button may not be fully employed.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Storm Front pt. 2 - spoilers:

The reset was only to undo the events of the temporal alien Vosk and his attempts to get home from the altered Earth's history timeframe.

It wasn't clear to me how the event from 1916 was caused that allows Hitler to focus his efforts on the United States instead of Eastern Europe.

I liked how Vosk is painted early on as possibly sympathic. All he wanted to do was get his people and himself back to his timeframe. Though his agenda shows because his actions to get home are shown to alter so many innocent lives and worlds without any remorse. A good line after the exchange between Archer and Vosk where Archer declines to help him. The subordinate alien tells Vosk, "We needed him".

And for a while, I wondered about Daniels. Maybe he's a bad guy. Then Silik's character had the best showing of all the characters. I liked how he came to respect Archer and joined forces to help him restore the timeline.

Good over all attempt to wrap up the TCW plotline and get on with the show. Not super surprising, but not that boring either. The best moment was not the shot of Enterprise flying down into New York, though that was fun to see, but the last shot. The one we wanted to see at the end of Zero Hour. Enterprise approaching Earth and then the shots of all the ships coming out to greet them. And a good line from Archer, "Are they hostile?" I was expecting to hear Admiral Forrest greet them as Admiral Paris did at the end of Voyager. But perhaps they wanted to avoid that comparison.

Actually Archer had some other good lines. Silik to Archer: "You changed Captain Archer", "Yes, and not for the better."

The scene before the last where Daniels thanks Archer was maybe extranious. I think it was a simple way to visually show all of history reverting back to how it's supposed to go, and the events with the Xindi was still there. And then Daniels says it's over.

Next week is hopefully back to good Star Trek. The preview looked a little iffy. But we'll see.

Nelson

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
I thought it was funny when Archer said to Daniels "I've had enough of your damn Temporal Cold War!". It was like he was reading a post from an Enterprise thread out loud.
smile.gif

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Good assesment, Nelson. I enjoyed the conclusion as well. Did we ever get a name for these new aliens? Oh and I knew that Silik sounded familiar to me. Now that I've seen his real face, I finally recognized the actor that played him.

Ric

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
quote:It wasn't clear to me how the event from 1916 was caused that allows Hitler to focus his efforts on the United States instead of Eastern Europe.

Well in the history rewriting scene at the end there was a clip that looked like Regan shaking the hand of Gorbachev with USA and USSR flags in the background. I think it was the SALT 1 signing. I still want to know who shot Lenin.

quote:The scene before the last where Daniels thanks Archer was maybe extranious. I think it was a simple way to visually show all of history reverting back to how it's supposed to go, and the events with the Xindi was still there. And then Daniels says it's over.

I liked that scene, although there was one clip that looked out of place. It looked like a sub-orbital craft that was step above the space shuttle. It was shown before the clip of the World Trade Towers.

I also liked the "News on the Parade" scene at the begining and does anyone know what Hitler was saying at the end of that scene? I also find it hard for the New Yorkers to openly greet the Nazis like that unless the absense of the USSR made the world in the west really different. Maybe something happened different post Depression.

And another thing, if communism never got a hold in Russia that means that the Czar was probably still in power during the 30s and 40s. Since he allied with the West in WW1 wouldn't he have done the same in WW2? I would still think there would be a second front. I also think the map they kept on showing should have shown the Nazi invasion include Canada because I'm sure they would there too.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Okay, so the TCW is over now?

Did anyone in the writing team understand what it was all about?

From this episode, I gather that:

1. Nazi Alien would have started the TCW if he had succeeded getting back to the future.

2. There will be no "reveal" of Future Guy. (*sigh*)

3. Silik hated Nazi Alien, because Nazi Alien tried to destroy the Suliban (but how does Silik know this?)

4. Silik hates Daniels, because Daniels' people interfere, or something.

5. Silik steals plans for Nazi Alien's time machine to deliver to Future Guy. But how did Future Guy know that Nazi Alien would be there (he wasn't there in the original timeframe), or that Enterprise would be sent back by Daniels' team?

6. I've gone crosseyed.

So Nazi Alien can go back into the past to kill Lenin, but not go straight back to the future? What's he doing on Earth anyway? Why does he ask for Archer's help when he's 6hrs away from completion anyway? Why am I even bothering trying to make sense of this mess?

That was, however, a suitably wretched end to a wretched story arc. Now let's have some decent plots. Ones that actually make sense. Please.
smile.gif

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
quote:There will be no "reveal" of Future Guy.

I thought maybe Future Guy was the Nazi alien, forever stuck out of time. They only hinted at that once, when Nazi alien says to Archer "your voice sounds familiar, have we met?"

But I'm just glad the whole Suliban/time war storyline is gone. B&B obviously had no plan for that storyline whatsoever. There had been some good moments to that storyline (such as when Archer was stuck on Daniels' planet in the distant future), but ultimately the time war was just a crutch for the producers to "mix things up" when they felt like it.

Looking forward to transitioning in to the new Soto episodes.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I hate to sound like a broken record, but once again TV Guide and Zap2it have NO listings for Enterprise or Star Trek: Enterprise for my area. If someone will confirm the day and time for this week's episode, I would appreciate it. Hopefully, I can find it SOMEWHERE on the cable.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I always thought the "future guy" was the head Vulcan from the first episode. Don't know why, just did.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Storm Front I & II just gave me a headache. I still don't get it, but I fell asleep in SFI. The end of last season and the Xindi arc were exciting. I still don't get the purpose of these first two episodes. If we're done with the Nazi thing, great.

I'm looking forward to what Coto might be able to do, but he's off to a bad start using the reset button so quickly. Maybe he wasn't given much to work with. I really enjoyed Season 3.

Did anybody else notice the image of the Twin Towers burning in the last scene w/ Daniels & Archer?

Peace,

DM

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
quote:Did anybody else notice the image of the Twin Towers burning in the last scene w/ Daniels & Archer?

I just watched that final sequence again, in which Daniels & Archer discuss the end of the TCW, and all the images appear in depicting the timeline resetting itself.

It's a chronological order kinda thing. Starts with the dawn of life on earth (Dinosaurs, etc), moves on to biblical times, the middle ages, and all the way up to our modern times. You're right though - one of the final images to appear is a shot of the twin towers, billowing smoke. It's kind of chilling in retrospect, 911 being incorporated into Star Trek in such a way, it kind of lends another level of legitimacy to the entire event...

Bring on the Coto stories. I'm very interested in seeing what he'll be able to do with the series.
smile.gif

Moe.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Oct 22nd new episode, the first episode truly under the stewardship of Coto - and it is FANTASTIC!

Imagine, a Star Trek episode where you actually care about the characters and want to see what happens next. Don't have to imagine it anymore, it has happened. This was the best.

The scenic locations were tremendous, too. Fanboys will of course rave about how the planet Vulcan tied in to the Motion Picture, but even if it hadn't, this episode had scope in its scenery.

But it's the characters that impressed me. I get the feeling that in the past, if any writer had suggested having character moments, someone in command would have said "no, don't do that, too complicated." And as a result, Enterprise up until now did very little in providing the kind of character drama which people tune in for on almost all other shows like CSI. But now the dam is broken and we've got real characters again. Hallelujah.

And poor Trip!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks