What's new

The Star Trek Enterprise appreciation and Season 4 discussion thread (this one's for the fans). (1 Viewer)

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I finally watched the season premiere this morning. It was decent but I will be glad when the TCW is over. It's pretty much screwed with continuity enough, and I'll be glad to get back to the exploration part of the show. I'd like to see more first contact with species that were introduced in TOS. Should be a good season if they get things on track.

Edit: Grr sorry about the thread topic typo. I can't see a way to edit it. If an admin can fix it for me, I'd appreciate it.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, the intention was to make this thread a safe haven for the show's fans.

At any rate, that's interesting to see that Coto is vetoing the use of the Gorn, acknowledging that it was Kirk who first encountered the big lizard in person.

I've been wondering if this series will wrap as a giant timeline malfunction/anomoly, thus obliterating its entire story from the "official" timeline (given how the hardcore fans constantly knock the show for just that reason). It would be the ultimate reset button.

Looking forward to reading people's opinions about the upcoming Coto-originated episodes.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor

Hmmm... interesting idea... I'm not really a big fan of reset buttons - they're like a writers enema.

Ultimately, I don't think that would be a very good idea. It'd be like the whole "Dream Sequence" timeline in Dallas, and would make the already somewhat looked-down-upon enterprise episodes into a total joke (yeah... I know some people already consider them a joke, but we've established that a lot of people don't). I'm don't really care as much about the retention of the TCW storying though as I would be about the Xindi involvement in trekdom.

Nevertheless, I'm interested in seeing how this all wraps up. I hope Coto can turn this show into something that everyone can enjoy. :)

Moe.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
You won't believe what my local station did last night! Enterprise started 5 minutes late and after the commercials 50 minutes later (there were other commercials), the next scheduled show (CSI) started! I was getting ready to call them up when the opening credits for CSI finished, and then Enterprise came back on! Needless to say, it ended ten minutes after it was supposed to. I'm really glad I set Tivo to add more time on.
After it ended, they re-ran the opener of CSI.

Anyway, really good. I wasn't looking for non-stop space battles, so I got what I wanted. The TCW arc seems to have a purpose now. Of course, we all know who wins, but that has never been the point. The question is, - does it matter in the grand scheme of things? Was it necessary even if the reset button gets pushed at the end?

I have the feeling that some of you have never even read the old thread. Pushing the reset button for the entire series was mentioned ages ago, and will probably happen this week, but as for returning things back to 'normal' - well, you're going to have to expain what 'normal' is. Daniels won't be dead if they go back.

They can't go back to pre-TOS because Kirk & gang should have at least mentioned this ship and crew, but didn't. This Vulcan war coming up is just as screwy. New writers and they are already screwing around with the TOS timeline? This IS better, right?

I don't want to start another war here, but just think about it. In closing, a quote from 'Paint Your Wagon' - "I know what I've had!" Let the buyer beware!

Glenn

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Why? I mean, I don't mention the events of the Spanish-American war in casual conversation very often.

So, I watched this last night while waiting for my laundry to dry (or come as close as the stupid machine in my building will manage), and I think I'm going to be using "Storm Front" as Exhibit A in "why cliffhangers are a bad idea". Consider - pretty much everybody has been saying good things about Manny Coto, and whenever he's done publicity this summer, he's said the right things. I don't think I'm far off in saying that Trek fans are generally approaching this season more positively than the far-more hyped-up previous year.

So we've been reading about how Coto is excited to be making a true Trek prequel series and how we'll be seeing all the birth-of-the-Federation stuff that the fans have been clamoring for. And what are the fans getting when they tune in? The friggin stupid Temporal Cold War which even Berman and Braga mostly turned away from last year, and clichéd alien Nazi crap, because that's what the new guy in charge got stuck with since the previous regime left him a mess to clean up. Even if Coto's new stuff is even better than sliced bread, folks may look at "Storm Front" and turn away before they get to it.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
It was an ok episode. Nothing much interesting happened and did the Archer/Woman relationship remind you a bit of Picard and Lilly from First Contact?
One question when did they start beaming from ship to planet? I thought they couldnt do that yet?

Reception was really bad from my tivi transmission. Anyone else?

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

My picture and sound was much better than usual for UPN. I think the local affiliate got a new hamster to power the transmitter. But it didn't help that they transmitted a black screen for about 5 minutes somewhere in the middle. I guess the hamster got tired.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Mikel-

Re: the use of transporters. The've used the transporter since S1. It's just that they don't trust it yet since it's new technology like they trust it from TOS onward. I get a feeling that Coto has just said, "let's just use the thing".

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

They always could, its just that they don't 100% trust the transporter. They've used it before to get out of some tight spots. Don't forget they are down one shuttle pod.

I liked the opener for what it was; a way to wrap up the
Temporal Cold War story line. It needed the exposition to explain it all. I loved the scene on the bridge when Archer returns. Hoshi's reaction and T'pol's look were wonderful and indicative of how they all feel about Archer. After reading the description of the new season on the Bits site I am looking forward to it.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
There is an Episode coming up this season with the creator of the Transporter, a friend of Archer's Come on board since the Enterprise has mainly been using the thing more than anyone else.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

If the Nazis had captured Moscow then it would be a lot easier to attack America from the west, especially if they're transporting heavy equipment like tanks. (and they have Japan as an ally too)

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor

Oh c'mon...

An unmanned (and unpowered - i.e. no shields) vehicle like a shuttlecraft is probably not very heavily armored. Even with conventional weapons, how long do you think it would have taken for the average platoon of soldiers to shoot their way thorough the hull and into the cabin while Trip & Mr. Expendable were doing the repairs?

Blowing up the pod was the right move, given their limited resources & schedule.

Moe.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Attacking the US from the west doesn't make any sense. Even after they got done railing the tanks and such across Russia, they'd still have the Pacific Ocean to cross, and Washington D.C. is near the east coast, and getting the capitol would make more sense.

I'm still wondering how they got Moscow, because I've heard repeatedly that it is an impossible situation. The Russians had a different track width and the supply lines would eat up too much of anyone's resources.

The aliens don't look like they have really helped out, but just give the Nazi's guidence.

Glenn

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator
Jason Seaver wrote in Post #108:
Check out the transcript from Coto's chat at Paramount's Star Trek website. He explains the reasoning for "Storm Front" somewhat frankly.

De

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

The west coast wouldn't be so heavily defended. The Pacific (via Canada/Alaska) would be a much easier crossing than the Atlantic. I agree that the east coast is the priority; the actual mechanics of the landing and transportation of a sufficient invasion force is where I think it gets a bit ridiculous - unless of course it's ~1955. But then, my "expertise" in this matter mostly comes from my experience with the board game, Risk. ;) :D

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Typo-free link to the transcript: http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...ript/7589.html

I am really growing to love Manny Coto: It's really too bad they couldn't just fast-forward past this mess; it's rather unfair that our first look at Coto's Enterprise is stuck looking an awful lot like B&B's. I think they'd almost have been better off starting with "Home" and then doing "Storm Front" in flashback later.

Of course, it's not that Paramount/UPN are terribly worried about building an audience for Enterprise any more - they've (rightly, IMHO) decided to become the network of Top Model, Veronica Mars, and Kevin Hill more than Star Trek and Smackdown!, and good things that happen with Star Trek are now just a bonus.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks