What's new

The Stanley Kubrick Archives... (1 Viewer)

bruce.c

Auditioning
Correction - just double-checked it properly! It's the scene where Dave and Frank are transferring from the centrifuge into the shaft down to the pod area, where they appear to be spinning round.

MatS

Screenwriter
did a check at Amazon tonight
- to see if there was any kind of substantial price reduction on the Archives book (which there was not)
- to recall when the FMJ Modine book was coming and to see if there were any write ups yet (still 10/25, no reviews)

and I found this interesting book listing when I was there

Stanley Kubrick : Drama & Shadows (Hardcover)

if you go to the publisher's (Phaidon Press) website
and do a search for "Kubrick" or the book title there is a 'look inside' feature that gives you access to 7 gorgeous photos

also from the website:
this book actually (though still a bit pricey for me) looks almost more interesting than the Archives book

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I got the archives book a week ago. My filmstrip is from the stargate sequence. I like it a lot - the chapter on Kubrick's favourite books was fascinating. Mine didn't have the Taschen catalogue but I'm looking forward to their Vanessa Del Rio hardcover.

There's a large Kubrick exhibition coming to Melbourne with props and exhibits, models, documents and so on. Malcolm McDowell, Jan Harlan and Christiane Kubrick will all be there. Has this travelled anywhere else? It's mentioned at the link below.

http://www.acmi.net.au/681EB8D5F5CD4...9488836D49.htm

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

I sent a note asking. The response:

"Hi Rich,
Thanks for letting me know, we at ACMI are really looking forward to the exhibition opening and the public events with Malcolm McDowell, Christiane Kubrick and Jan Harlan. The Australian Centre for the Moving Image is the exclusive host venue for the exhibition in the southern hemisphere, after its run in Melbourne, the exhibition will travel to Rome at the Palazzo delle Esposizioni.
Best regards,
Justin
Justin Rogers
Communications Coordinator
Australian Centre for the Moving Image"

Here's hoping that after Rome it makes North America.

Real Name
Anthony
And the Kubrick books keep coming !

Here's a better look at FULL METAL JACKET DIARY :

http://www.takegreatpictures.com/HOM...7/default.aspx

And as I posted on the 2001 thread, the interviews that were to be used in the abandoned prologue to 2001 will be published soon.

Also, for those lucky enough to have the exhibition ( yes, you, Ozzies), the souvenir brochure is well worth picking up. :) It's a book, basically, and quite a nice one at that.

Real Name
Anthony
The FULL METAL JACKET DIARY is a must-read for Kubrick afficionados - I couldn't put it down. It's a very revealing look at his process as seen through Modine's eyes and one of the more illuminating additions to the SK library.

The book itself is an ugly bugger, with a metal cover, but it's certainly distinctive and well-illustrated with many unseen photos from the shoot. There's not a lot of reading in it - didn't take me more than an hour or two to finish - but it's genuinely fascinating for fans.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
I've done it… I went and bought this magnificent tome! I guess I had to see it first hand to finally go for it, as when I noticed it behind a counter at a store, I asked it examine it. I first wanted to check if the filmstrip was there, since that was only available in the first run. It was! And that alone made me want to buy it (It was the scene toward the end of the film when Dave reaches out to the monolith from his deathbed and then the monolith by itself). I then flipped through the heavy pages and the amazing stills. The behind-the-scenes stuff was incredibly insightful after just a quick glance! I had to buy it.

I had a good amount of discounts to make it $134 after taxes. No regrets. Glad I got this. Now I can add this incredible book to my bibliography on my thesis of 2001 and its subversion of classical Hollywood cinema! Now I can actually cite from Kubrick’s draft of the abandoned expository voice-over during “The Dawn of Man.” The professor didn’t even know that Kubrick considered this for the opening sequence.

Jack Johnson

Second Unit

Evan, that looks to me like a shot of Frank Poole's lifeless body tumbling through space after Hal has cut his airline. There was a lot of footage of that, and it could be from Dave's POV as he's pursuing in his pod or just a "remote" shot form space. But the amorphousness of it does suggest the "rag doll" humanoid form of ol' asyphixiated Frank. The tricky thing is; Frank's body as an object would only appear in that shape for a split second. As he turns over and over, he probably never looks the same twice. I'd check the general position in the frame and see if it ever lines up in any shot, then go frame by frame...if you're as pathologically fixated on minutia as I am.

--Jack

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
A surprise ...

I was showing someone my Kubrick book over Thanksgiving. He opens to a page that has my film strip in it ... which (momentarily freaks me out thinking my kids used the film strip as a book marker ... until I notice that it's not my film strip which is still tucked neatly away where it belongs.

So, I've got a surprise additional film strip in the book. I'm checking it out and I don't know if the scene is in 2001 ... that's until I realize that I have the image upside down.

Strip:

So, I scored a scene of the monolith in space.

So, I've got that going for me.

Which is nice.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
That looks great, and more reasonably priced too. How much smaller is it compared to the first one?

So, basically, it's a hundred bucks cheaper, and you're only missing the film strip?

MatS

Screenwriter
original: Hardcover + CD 16.2 x 11.8 in., 544 pages
Nachricht für Netscape 4 User

25th Anniversary edition: Hardcover 12.9 x 9.6 in., 544 pages
Nachricht für Netscape 4 User

the size spec I copied and pasted for the re-issue did not show the cd but in the special features it was listed while the 12 frame strip from the original release wasn't

so yes slightly smaller in size (not page count) and no film strip included

MatS

Screenwriter
this is now in stock at Amazon and shipping
I received mine today
what a steal at just over $44

I must admit I was a bit scared as I flipped through the book with so much of the beginning of it front loaded with only images from the films (many of which seemed soft... yes I am spoiled now by BD) but I breathed a sigh of relief when I got to the text and there is a huge amount of material to dive into that follows.

I can't wait to spend some time reading through this.

Just an update to an earlier post of mine ... this version does not include the interview cd that the first pressing had and obviously the film strip is not included either. I have no issue with the exclusion of either especially at this price.

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller

Argh, is this true? Mine hasn't arrived yet, but I was under the impression that the CD was included. In fact, Amazon's product description includes the CD. So does the description on Taschen's website.

If you didn't get the CD, I would return it. I'll let you know if mine comes with the CD.

MatS

Screenwriter
like I said the cd was/is by no means a deal breaker for me
I also believed the cd came with the book since as you stated it was listed on both sites

a pic from the previously linked thread shows where it appeared in the past in the book

it definately wasn't in my book and the book was in shrinkwrap when it arrived

I don't think mine was a fluke, I believe the cd is not included

EDIT: I emailed Taschen in regards to the ommission of the audio cd ... I will let you know their response and if they are offering a copy since they should have the content from having included it in the first pressing.

also the color coded tabs (see below) of the first pressing are gone (likely due to the slight reduction in size of the book)

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
I got the smaller version because I felt that the first edition was more of a cocktail table book than something practical. I figured I'd sell my large version.

However, the new printing (some of which has been already mentioned) has differences from the first printing.

I can overlook the missing tabs. Although well done in the first edition, it's not a big deal and I'm sure it cut down their costs. However, it would have made a lot of sense to do away with the color coding on the table of contents TOO as this no longer is applicable making it odd reminder (for lack of a better word) of the first edition.

I can overlook the missing CD. Not a deal-breaker but it does look like this was an oversight.

No 70 mm strip? It wasn't advertised as having it and let's face it, they mentioned that only the first release would have it so they are true to their word.

I can overlook the cheap paper on the hardcover versus the wonderful old-school high quality emboss of the first release. Hey, they needed to do something to cut costs right?

What I can't overlook is that the images are NOT just a reduction to scale but are CROPPED. It is not a big difference but totally unnecessary. For example, on the posted image above on KISS ME, Kill Me you can see that right side of the image, shows less glass window frames than the first release.

I guess my thinking is that I don't like cropped images on films so why should I tolerate them on a book about film? So this is going back to Amazon.

Having said that, if you don't have this book it's heartily recommended in any version you can find.

MatS

Screenwriter
don't know if they got hold of some old inventory of the original pressing or if this is closeout on the 25th anniversary pressing but B&N has The Stanley Kubrick Archives book on their website at $19.99

The Stanley Kubrick Archives, Kubrick Christiane, Book - Barnes & Noble

act now if you are even thinking about it

EDIT: now SOLD OUT
didn't expect it to last long at that price
ISBN# (ISBN-13: 9780641953965) was different than the original first printing release (ISBN-13: 9783822822845) and the reissue (ISBN-13: 9783836508896)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I got the first edition of this as a Christmas present when it first came out -- I'm a huge Kubrick fan, and somehow this slipped under my radar, so when my parents gave it over, it caught me totally by surprise. Gotta say this is one of my treasures... watching a Kubrick movie inevitably makes me want to thumb through the book, and looking through the book inevitably makes me throw on another one of the movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks