What's new

Murder In A Blue World blu ray on 11/22/22. (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Unless I missed it, I haven't seen any discussion or announcements on the upcoming release of the cult film Murder In A Blue World (1973) with Sue Lyon and Jean Sorel. It's a personal favorite that I never thought would see the light of day on blu ray so I thought I'd share the news with other possible fans of the film. It's chock full of extras:

"Brutal Savagery in a Future World ! AKA - Una gota de sangre para morir amando, Clockwork Terror, To Love, Perhaps to Die In a violent, dystopian consumer-fed future, David (Chris Mitchum - Summertime Killer) blackmails nurse Ana (Sue Lyon - Stanley Kubrick's Lolita) after witnessing her commit a murder. When Ana and Victor (Jean Sorel - Perversion Story) discover David is a known gang member with an extensive criminal past, they make a plan to turn the tables and use him for their own clandestine purposes. In 1971 Stanley Kubrick changed dystopian cinema forever with A Clockwork Orange. Two years later, transgressive Spanish genre director Eloy de la Iglesia unleashed this thought provoking and beautifully shot future-world that was also known as A Clockwork Terror. Now Available For the first time on Blu-ray, Cauldron Films presents a new, eye popping 2K restoration of the Spanish producer's cut. Details Blu-ray 2K restoration of the Spanish Producer's cut from the negative / 1080p presentation English audio with optional English SDH subtitles Spanish audio with optional English subtitles Newly edited Archival interview with Chris Mitchum Dubbing in a Blue World Video essay by Film Scholar Dr Xavier Aldana Reyes Commentary by Film Historian Kat Ellinger Image Gallery 1973 / Spain / Thriller / Director - Eloy de la Iglesia / 2.40:1 / 97 min. / Bonus features include: 1973 / Spain / Thriller / Director - Eloy de la Iglesia / 2.40:1 / 97 min. /, Commentary by Film Historian Kat Ellinger, Image Gallery, Video essay by Film Scholar Dr Xavier Aldana Reyes, Spanish audio with optional English subtitles, Newly edited Archival interview with Chris Mitchum, Dubbing in a Blue World, 2K restoration of the Spanish Producer's cut from the negative / 1080p presentation, English audio with optional English SDH subtitles".

Here's the Amazon link:

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Anyone know anything about "7 Women" also starring Sue Lyon (among others), John Ford's last film?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thomas, thank you. I'd never heard of this movie. I'll have to find out a bit more to decide if it's my kind of film, but if I do, I might buy it.

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Anyone know anything about "7 Women" also starring Sue Lyon (among others), John Ford's last film?
Apparently it needs major restoration work. It's a John Ford film with an excellent cast so I keep hoping that it will soon show up in a future Warner Archives announcement.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Thomas, thank you. I'd never heard of this movie. I'll have to find out a bit more to decide if it's my kind of film, but I do, I might buy it.
It's worth checking out if you're a Sue Lyon fan (as I am). This is what I wrote about it:

In a futuristic society where people are glued to their televisions and a blue drink (hence the film's title), which may or may not act as a sedative, is the beverage of choice, black leather clad thugs with red helmets break into homes and brutally beat and rape their victims. A young nurse (Sue Lyon in her best film role since LOLITA) is a humanitarian by day and a psychotic serial killer by night. Directed by Eloy De La Iglesia, this weird and bloody Spanish exploitation film is hugely influenced by Kubrick's A CLOCKWORK ORANGE but without its intellectual pretensions. I must confess I enjoyed it much more. The film has the feel of an Italian giallo. The director's homage to Kubrick has some characters watching A CLOCKWORK ORANGE on television just before a gang breaks into their home to terrorize them and he has Sue Lyon reading Nabokov's LOLITA and she listens to Strauss waltzes (2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY) and what Kubrick suggests at the end of CLOCKWORK, Iglesia makes much more graphic and explicit. The futurist set design is quite good and is the work of Eduardo Torre De La Fuente. With Jean Sorel (BELLE DE JOUR) and Christopher Mitchum (Robert's kid).

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
It's worth checking out if you're a Sue Lyon fan (as I am). This is what I wrote about it:

In a futuristic society where people are glued to their televisions and a blue drink (hence the film's title), which may or may not act as a sedative, is the beverage of choice, black leather clad thugs with red helmets break into homes and brutally beat and rape their victims. A young nurse (Sue Lyon in her best film role since LOLITA) is a humanitarian by day and a psychotic serial killer by night. Directed by Eloy De La Iglesia, this weird and bloody Spanish exploitation film is hugely influenced by Kubrick's A CLOCKWORK ORANGE but without its intellectual pretensions. I must confess I enjoyed it much more. The film has the feel of an Italian giallo. The director's homage to Kubrick has some characters watching A CLOCKWORK ORANGE on television just before a gang breaks into their home to terrorize them and he has Sue Lyon reading Nabokov's LOLITA and she listens to Strauss waltzes (2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY) and what Kubrick suggests at the end of CLOCKWORK, Iglesia makes much more graphic and explicit. The futurist set design is quite good and is the work of Eduardo Torre De La Fuente. With Jean Sorel (BELLE DE JOUR) and Christopher Mitchum (Robert's kid).
Watched "Lolita" last night. I had forgotten just how masterful the performance was, from nymphet early on to much more mature and perhaps embittered pregnant (and poor) housewife at the end.

"Night of the Iguana" is one of my favorite films. Love everyone in it. Frankly, I can't take my eyes off Ava Gardner in that film, not to mention Burton, Lyon, and any number of other supporting players. Especially the shot of Elizabeth Taylor frolicking naked in the waves with the local boys. Oh wait, that didn't happen . . . . ., did it?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Watched "Lolita" last night. I had forgotten just how masterful the performance was, from nymphet early on to much more mature and perhaps embittered pregnant (and poor) housewife at the end.

"Night of the Iguana" is one of my favorite films. Love everyone in it. Frankly, I can't take my eyes off Ava Gardner in that film, not to mention Burton, Lyon, and any number of other supporting players. Especially the shot of Elizabeth Taylor frolicking naked in the waves with the local boys. Oh wait, that didn't happen . . . . ., did it?
That was Ava Gardner, not Elizabeth Taylor ..... and she had her clothes on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks