What's new

The smallest size for a subwoofer? 8, 10, 12.... (1 Viewer)

Haywood

Stunt Coordinator
What do you think is the smallest woofer size that can be used effectively for Home Theater?
Later Haywood
cool.gif

------------------
Link Removed

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Man, that's a loaded question around here. But I'll give you my experience for what it's worth.
Since I had to consider my wife's feelings on this issue, I looked for a small sub. I settled on a Sunfire True Sub Jr., a 9-inch cube, that I tuck in the corner behind my TV stand. That way, my wife doesn't have to look at a black box or a strange, black cylinder. Man, is this sub great! Don't get me wrong, it's not room-shaking bass (which most around here prefer), but it gives me more than enough low end for both music and movies. Most around here would say the bigger the better.
Velodyne also makes a good quality small cube. I can't recall the model number off-hand, but it's very pricey compared to other subs. I'm sure someone here will come up with the model number.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
it depends what you consider *effectively* handle HT.
I think it's best to offer up a room size...and then figure out what type of volume levels you'll be pushing the system too.
If you have a tiny room and never go louder than 30dB under reference...then a lot of smaller woofs might be considered *effective*. If you have a medium/large room...and want the ability to approach *reference* volume levels....it could take multiple larger subwoofers to be considered *effective*.
TV

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
Im sure there a formula for the highest db level that a certain sub size can hit. I have a 10" JL Audio sub in my car, and it's being fed by 100 watts, it's enough to make my rear view mirror fall off (Multiple times) so you can definitely get room shattering bass from a 10.

Rich Kraus

Stunt Coordinator
a 10" driver giving room shattering bass? only if its a coat closet.
"What do you think is the smallest woofer size that can be used effectively for Home Theater?"
the guys hit it on the head, "it depends". it depends on your room, your tastes, and what size enclosure you can tolerate in your room.
i use 2 15's, and my room is small/midsize at 15X17'. this works for me. might not be enough for your tastes and your room, might be too much.
i had one 10" (a JL 10w1 actually :) ) in the same room, and thought it was close.....until i put in the 15's. i never knew the depths of bass i was missing.
------------------
'Till next time,
Rich (the kite guy)
My DIY audio page!
Use your ashtray please, dont throw um on the street. thanks :)

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
I'm not sure what size the driver is on the Sunfire True Subwoofer Junior, but the entire cabinet measures 9"x9"x9"...how's that for small?
biggrin.gif

------------------
My DVD Collection

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
The size of the cabinet is probably more important to most folks than the driver.
Get the best you can afford is my advice. Skimp there and you'll be upgrading before you can say tax refund.
Ron

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I've been using a Velodyne VA-810X for years in my system and its worked great.
Now considered a very small sub, the 810x was Velodyne's smallest powered sub a few years ago with a 8" front-firing woofer and a 10" passive down-firing woofer at 65 watts. It retailed for nearly $629 but I picked it up at a Harvey Electronics sale for around $499 I believe. A lot of money for me at the time (for 1 speaker!) but I never regretting getting a real subwoofer (Velodyne's are great).
I was looking for a small yet powerful sub due to the size of my HT room at the time. This sub has always performed larger than its size with all movies.
Now that my HT room has more than doubled in size I will have to upgrade eventually to at least a 12" woofer but this current Velodyne still does a respectable job...can't imagine what a SVS sub or a larger Velodyne would sound like...my wife thinks this sub is loud!!
JohnG
------------------

Haywood

Stunt Coordinator
Ok guys thanks for the reply. I am currently using a Sony SA-WM40 but I am also going back and forth with using my Sony SA-W305 as well. Its only a 6.5" cone. Right now I have it stacked on top of my 12". What are your ideas on using both or should I just use the 12". I live in a condo that has a living room that opens into the kitchen and dining area so there is alot of space to fill. You can check out my site to get a better idea of the layout.
------------------
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks