What's new

The Simple Life ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Steven L

Stunt Coordinator
I had no interest in this show until reading the comments here. So I watched last night out of curiosity, but I couldn't make it through the whole episode - I switched it off about halfway through.

I don't know if the show is real or scripted. If it's real, then the girls are just spoilt brats and I saw no signs of any redeeming qualities – not worth my time. If it's scripted, then the writing (and editing) is bad, the girls are poorly written stereotypes and there was nothing in the show to hold my interest and make me want to keep watching – not worth my time.

Either way, I found the show boring and the protagonists unlikable.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
protagonists unlikable.
Those 2 words right there show that you are looking at the show completely wrong. Don't try to critique it or figure it out or dissect it. Its not that kind of show. It is mindless entertainment. I am finding it hilarious. I don't care if its scripted or real, its a fun 20 minutes.

Hunter P

Screenwriter

You would think that they have partied with some heirs to the Sam Walton fortune. Don't all rich people know each other?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Bit of a tangent, but recently I watched "You Can Count On Me" and on the director's commentary Kenneth Lonergan makes some interesting comments about the perceived need to have likable characters in stories, in a similar way that certain people demand a happy ending.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

For some reason I don't picture the Walton heirs being quite the same as the Hilton sisters.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
The whole show is an act, scripted and rehearsed for entertainment.
Yep, in next weeks TV Guide, Nicole talks about how the producers wanted them to really play up the 'party-girl' act, and wear the trashy clothes. They were also told to mess up every job since that is 'good TV'. A media anaylist also talks about how the recent scandals can do nothing but raise the awareness of the show, which leads me back to my opinion that Fox had something to do with that tape being released.

They can try all they want to shove Paris down people's throats, but in the end she is not a self-made star, just a spoiled puppet of the media.

Chris

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Yep, in next weeks TV Guide, Nicole talks about how the producers wanted them to really play up the 'party-girl' act, and wear the trashy clothes. They were also told to mess up every job since that is 'good TV'.
Well, it doesn't necessairly mean that the show is scripted. I would think that in most if not all of these reality shows, the participants take some direction from the producers. They do have a job to make (relatively speaking, of course) good T.V. But assuming it is scripted then they are still stupid for going along with this. Basically, they are whoring themselves to Fox and allowing themselved to be exploited and made to look like total jackassses. For what? To be on tv? Did they get paid to be on this show? If they are trying to shake their Prima Donna images, how could they think this would be the way to do it? Assuming it is scipted

Eric R C

Agent
"The Simple Life" has been announced for DVD release on January 27, 2004.
Any chance "The Paris Hilton Sex Tape" will be included as an extra? From the 3 minute clip i have seen of this tape she is far too self absorbed. For those that have not seen the clip on the internet; Paris' cell phone rings mid-thrust. She then goes to attend to it off camera.

As far as this show goes, I enjoy it. It is a guilty pleasure, to see a bunch of coked up celebutaunts prancing around for the camera.

OT:

I do not like rich girls for the opposite reason that I like Simple Life; Ally and Jamie take them selves way too seriously. Everything about them is about there so called spirituality.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah that's why I'm anti cat in the Hat, Dr. Suess has to be spinning in his grave how they Swarmied up his kids book.

Peter-PP

Stunt Coordinator
Paris and Nickie have also done modelling but Paris could never learn how to do the catwalk right. So, she is now into acting and working on her first recording album. She is also showing up on music videos like Mariah Carey and Tom Petty videos. Seems like she is popping up all over the place.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
OT:
I do not like rich girls for the opposite reason that I like Simple Life; Ally and Jamie take them selves way too seriously. Everything about them is about there so called spirituality.
I think Rich Girls is better than Simple Life. Ally and Jamie come off just as teenage girls with a lot of money but are somewhat aware of their surroundings. Yeah they have their qwirks but they tend to just act like typical teenagers most of the time. Especially Ally. Jamie though is a little worse than Ally. Paris and Nicole come off as 20 year olds who act like rich teenagers who don't have a clue as to the world around them. I actually think Paris is worse than Nicole. There were some scenes where it looked like Nicole was honestly trying and actually wanted to be there. Meanwhile Paris looked bored and lost without her credit cards.

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
I realize that the girls are playing up the "stupid" angle for ratings, but I have to keep asking myself this one question:

The parents raised these kids with almost unlimited resources, and this is what they produced? No education, no intelligence, no meaning - all style over substance. I have limited resources, but I think that I can do much better.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I only know about this show through an interesting review I read in the Los Angeles Times. I don't even know what this Paris Hilton looks like other than through the grainy photo that ran in the paper.

But I found some things interesting.

Of course some of this has to be scripted. For even someone as oblivious to the "real world" as Hilton seems to be, she would be hard pressed not to have heard of Wal-Mart, the largest corporation in the world (its post-Thanksgiving, "black Friday" revenues were a staggering $1.58 billion). As ubiquitous as its "everyday low prices" ads and commercials are, there's no way anyone in the United States could not have heard of this corporation.

Based on what the Times reviewer wrote, I found it amazing that anyone would have wanted to participate. That is, for the Arkansas family to endure certain humiliation and insults to their necessary "lifestyle" (below a certain income level, "lifestyle" is hardly an optional consideration) and for a young woman such as Paris Hilton to so blithely proclaim a staggering degree of ignorance and foolishness.

The joke, the Times writer suggested, is on all of us.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
According to Poeple magazine, Paris has already admitted to making the Wal-mart joke (do they sell walls?) as a goof. You can pretty much be assured that when she asks what something is for, she darn well knows what it is.

It is also revealed that not only did the dairy farmer not sell the bottles of milk the two were filling, but that they couldn't have since it was against health regulations to fill it in the manner depicted (outside, with a hose, unpasteurized, etc). Furthermore, the farmer didn't even have any bottles on the premises. The producers set up the whole thing for TV and then Paris and Nicole did it incompetently for the cameras.

Not that I was enthused about the show to begin with, but I have to conclude that there is about 10% of this show that isn't completely fabricated. And it's still pretty boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks