What's new

The Simple Life ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
As if Paris Hilton can't get enough publicity, her (and Nicole Richie) new show premieres on Fox tonight in the 8:30 p.m. EST timeslot (and with another episode on Wednesday night in the same timeslot).

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Even the previews for this show look dull. If it wasn't for the publicity around Paris Hilton I think this would bomb as big as "Joe Millionaire 2". Maybe it will anyway.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
As a side note, I think Nikki Hilton is much hotter than Paris.

Ok then,

Unless this show gives some pretty good LOL moments "Oh my gawd she's a moron (in a way that Newlyweds did) than yea I think this one has crap written on it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If you'd prefer to watch it without commercials, and with the fast-forward button, "The Simple Life" has been announced for DVD release on January 27, 2004.

That's if you want to watch in the first place, of course.

Daniel`D

Stunt Coordinator
I can't wait to see this show.Me being from Arkansas,(my life is nothing like what they went thought, I don't live on a farm or anything.)But, the show looks like it could be funny.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Oh man, this show is a riot. Definately benefits from the "Newlyweds" misunderstanding situations.

Like when they go over their budget at the store and ask if they could just have it. And then "Soup Kitchen, what does that mean?"

Best line:
"So do you hang out at Wal-Mart? I heard that's what people from the South do."

And then the followup:
"What's a Wal-Mart, do they sell walls there or something?"

Actually scratch that, best line was definitly:
"He's cute, let's have a threesome with him."

This show has potential and it doesn't raise my opinion of the girls any, which wasn't that high to begin with. I'll tune in tomorrow.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
The show was amusing, but made me very angry at the same time. I want to take a pitchfork and........nevermind. Can there be people who are anymore spoiled? I think these 2 belong in some kind of mental hospital just because they are so far removed from normal society. How can Lionel Ritchie not be disgusted by his daughter? Lionel did not come from old money like the Hiltons so he could not have always been removed from socitey.

"We'll can we just have the groceries anyway?"

"I will not go near a dead animal, I'll vomit"

"I only travel to Europe, L.A. or New York"

"$1,500? I'll take it"

Very Disgusting. Can't these 2 even try to act normal knowing they are being taped? (other recent footage nonwithstanding)

Can't wait for tomorrow

Call me immature if you must, but I can't imagine how much that teenage son must be knocking em out.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I'm half convinced they're putting on a show fromt he cameras. Don't these two ever watch TV or movies? They give a semi-accurate picture of how most people live. Or are these for common people and the rich drink and play golf or something?

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
This show is so staged. To the girls, it's like, act rich and stuck up, to the others, act more farm-like, it'll be good for ratings, bleh...

Van Patton

Second Unit
Yeah but it sure is entertaining! I especially liked the "Let's have a 3 way with him!" If I was that kid my jaw would have been on the floor at that point. The upcoming episodes look pretty interesting.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I watched parts of it. I know most reality shows are staged to one extent or another, but this one seemed closer to Friends than Survivor. I just didn't laugh much, because I didn't believe anything on screen.

Won't waste time again.

Hot...but not nearly hot enough.

Take care,
Chuck

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
I actually found this show rather funny.

I wanna go shopping like they did. "Oh 1,500 for a hat? Not a problem."

Yea I agree that the show looks pretty staged though.
There were some really good lines though.

Hot...but not nearly hot enough.
Nicole Richie--not even near hot.
Paris, she's aight, but there's at least 20 people right of the bat that I would put in front of her.

Hey who's thinner, Calista Flockhart or Paris Hilton?

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I watched the first couple of minutes, then I got so disguested with the way these two girls behaved that I turned it off. How anyone can let their children grow up to behave like that is beyond me.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I found the two shrill and annoying. I also couldn't believe the stupid things coming out of their mouths.

In retrospect, I agree that the best lines and moments are likely fake/scripted/staged. I mean, really -- how does anyone not know what a well is for? The whole thing is too forced artificial to enjoy.

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
I agree with most everything that's been said here. Both sides seem to be playing up their respective stereotypes, but I still thought a lot of it was funny.

I'll add one of my favorite lines... "First, I wouldn't eat feet. And if I did, I wouldn't eat pigs feet!"

Pieter

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't be surprised that there is some staging going on, but still doesn't it occur to these girls that they are making complete Jackasses out of themselves on national tv. If they are making any attempt to shake their dubious reputations, it's not even close to working so far.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
This is my new favorite show.

Are you naysayers trying to tell me that you would just "go with the flow" if you were put into that town to live the "simple life"? I highly doubt it.

I'm a middle-class city slicker and I know that I would have culture shock. I lived in small cities and big ones. I even stayed for a week in a small mining town about as big as the one on the show. Branded a cow and everything. I can forgive them for not wanted to pick at a freshly killed chicken when they're only a few hours removed from partying at their mansion.

Plus, I too was wondering what the hell a well was doing in the middle of the floor. Couldn't they build it outside the house with a cobblestone wall around it and a bucket on a rope? At least that is how most wells are depicted on TV and cartoons.

Judging from the clips of upcoming shows they get over the culture shock and seem to be good sports about everything. I don't know if I would stick my arm up a cow's hoo-ha so I give Nicole props for that.

As for being stuck up and spoiled, wouldn't you be? Wouldn't you have a skewed sense of reality if you could by a $1500 bag for your dog (rat?) without blinking an eye? Is it their fault that their parents are insanely rich and they were raised with a silver spoon?

I was rofl'ing on the Wal-mart and threesome moments and I also got a kick out of Paris walking around with pants so low that they had to blur out her but crack on TV. Too funny.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I found the show to be a fun half hour.

While the girls are pretty clueless and probably never faced a day of actual responsibility in their lives, they did not seem to come across nearly as snobby as I had expected. They seemed more like immature 14 year olds.

As far as the well in the bedroom, Well I grew up on a farm and we used a well for all of our water, but never the less I too was baffled at the placement of the well in the floor of one of the rooms.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks