American Dreams Ongoing thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

9/28/03
    One of the better family dramas around is getting no love around these parts.

Well, I finally watch the season premiere for its 2nd season.

JJ's adapting well to military life, showing leadership potential. Due to his insecurities of Beth living in a dorm with plenty of male and females floating around, he proposes to Beth at the bus station, she seemed happy and floored by his proposal.

Meg goes out on a limb for Sam, who got in a fight at school from being taunted due to the race riot at the end of last season, and gets shut off of Bandstand by her dad until she gets some perspective of how to go about "helping" Sam.

Finally the hinting of the Meg-Sam romance has been re-ignited with a simple touch of Sam's swollen cheek by Meg.

Patty comes across an article in Reader's Digest about a medical procedure that can help children who are stricken with Polio, like her younger brother Will, and brings this article to her mom's attention. Helen and Jack consult with their family doctor about the medical procedure on Will's behalf, but the doctor is skeptical and advises against it. Helen was crushed by the advice, but seems determined to go looking for another opinion (by calling the doctor which performed the medical "miracle" to talk about Will's condition and prognosis for success).

Rox says goodbye to Michael as he follows this dream (Joey Lawrence is now on a TV sitcom on WB) to the west coast to do some producing.

Henry Walker has to bail out his son, Sam, who is now on probation at his school. And Nathan gets out of prison, and Henry has a cold heart toward him because Henry has possibly lost being the new store's manager due to the damage from the race riots. But Henry shows that he's got a grumbling, but forgiving heart and picks up Nathan when he gets released from there.

Oh, Kelly Clarkson showed up playing Brenda Lee.

Anyhow, lots of subplots and guest stars in the coming months.

2. Rob P S

Rob P S Screenwriter

rob

3. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

10/15/03

Well, I missed last week's season debut with Kelly Clarkson in it and I was hoping someone else would have had a thread for the season opener. Last night's episode once again delivered on many different subjects alot of folks can relate to. I remember growing up in the 60's and seeing kids who had polio and what they had to struggle with,by the time I came along the vaccine was being widely used on kids. Nowadays it seems we rarely see kids with polio.What I like so much about this show is that it's not afraid to take on real issues that most shows sugar coat or avoid. It's a wonderful show for the family and I can't understand why it was past up for any Emmy nominations. It's just a really entertaining show and if you haven't checked it out yet, do so, you just might like it too. Oh, by the way, Gail O' Grady has to be one of the best looking women on tv, period. Just my 2 cents:)

4. Rob P S

Rob P S Screenwriter

rob
    I think this show is even better this season than last season. Even with the large cast, they all manage to get a piece of the action every week. Jonathan Adams (Henry) has definitely gotten more airtime this year, and he is powerful dealing with his wife's cancer diagnosis. The son and the nephew are very good, also. The Pryor kids are refreshingly natural - I like how everybody talks over each other, just like in real life. Gail O'Grady and Rachel Boston are two of the most attractive women on TV. I hope this show sticks around for a while.

5. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Good show. Nathan did a stand-up thing in the last episode. I'm not a big fan of how liberal the show is with guest stars (Hillary Duff? C'mon!), but still enjoy the clips.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

FYI: I've merged the few threads together into a slightly larger American Dreams thread for now.

7. Karl_Luph

10/26/03

Wow, another fantastic episode IMHO! Fine performances by all and I'm sure I wasn't the only one touched by the surprise unfortunate scene with Henry's wife passing away. It actually seemed like, by the cast's performance ,that the sorrow and grief was real and sincere, maybe it was just me,because I've grown to really love this show.Finally a show with the testicular fortitude to take on real issues and real life situations and is not afraid to show the real human side of family life in the 60's. It's so hard anymore to find good ,wholesome, quality tv programming anymore.This show reminds me of what made great tv great tv in the past. If you haven't seen this series, give it a try, because this show is so far better that alot of the crap tv series that are being passed off as entertainment.

8. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

It is not just you Karl.

9. Rob P S

Rob P S Screenwriter

rob
    I agree with Karl 100%. I was surprised that Henry's wife passed away so quickly. She was just diagnosed with cancer two episodes ago. If the Emmys didn't suck Jonathan Adams would be a lock for a Best Supporting Actor nomination. Does anyone think Will is going to have the surgery? Or will just decide to let him be? And I think Meg is going to wind up in some kind of trouble with that college guy...

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Aw man, Sam was in some serious turmoil, and Meg wasn't there when he needed her the most. I was wondering when the writers were going to get back to the Meg/Sam thing, but having Meg get sidetracked with the college guy activist isn't really where I was hoping the story was going.

Rox's party... makes you wonder if they are setting Rox up with Meg's old boyfriend.

I think they'll have Will undergo the surgeries to try and fix his leg.

Patty showed a lot of restraint trying to keep Will in the dark about the operation.

The scene between Henry and Jack was very touching.

JJ is so in over his head with the flirtation between he and his CO's wife. Oh boy... (but she's rather attractive, so who can blame him?)

This show gets better and better.

11. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

Yes I too was shocked when Henry's wife passed this episode. I didn't see that one coming for at least a few more. That was truly a sad moment and

12. DeborahK

DeborahK Supporting Actor

I wondered if Sam's mom might not have o.d.ed on her pills. She did not seem at death's door and one of the women working in the kitchen after the service found the pills and made some comment about them, before one of the others tossed them in the garbage. Why draw attention to a detail like this, if it were not going to play a part in the story later? I am not saying that she necessarily committed suicide (she is a 1960s Catholic, after all) -- it may have been an accidental overdose. Or something. Someway, somehow, tho', I think those pills are going to play a part in something to come.

Deborah

13. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob

14. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

15. WadeB

WadeB Stunt Coordinator

16. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

This is definitely one of the best TV shows on network. With a glut of criminal investigator and so called reality shows, this is a "breath of fresh air".

I have finally stop looking for the continuity errors, like songs in the wrong year or the fact that by the fall of 1964 American Bandstand only aired on Saturday from Los Angeles.

I realized this show is too good to get bogged down in these details. I hope it will continue for years to come. I feel I really know each character on this show.

17. Karl_Luph

I totally agree with you Marty, this show is_ like a breath of fresh air ,and as soon as people start to check it out ,I think they'll agree, finally, a show my family can enjoy watching together. I love the music of this era and the way the show interweves the music and acting scenes is like a dance itself, building up to a fever pitch. It's got me hooked,lol! Not to mention how many top name musical guest stars have appeared on this series, it's like a who's who in the hottest young singers out there. I really hope this show won't be overlooked again for Emmy nominations. This show deserves to be appreciated for it's fine work.

18. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

11/02/03

Man, this show is moving super fast:

JJ shows tremendous smarts in leading his troops through the training course, and sets a new camp record. But he rebuffs the CO's wife one too many times and gets orders to be shipped out to Okinawa (it's a promotion, yeah right...)

Meg continues to be attracted to the college flame like the moth she still is, and will she get burned? Stay tuned.

Rox's first time winds up in the back seat of a car, and you can tell she sort of regrets it.

Will gets news that he'll be undergoing leg treatments/operations for polio in an effort to get him to walk without the leg brace. Jack's grateful that Patty already spilled the beans on the operation.

Helen can't seem to quit her new job, and Jack still wants to be the bread winner for the family.

Henry finally comes around on accepting help/gifts from others in his time of personal loss.

Nathan might become a part of the Muslim movement (think Malcom X).

19. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

20. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The CO definitely knew that his wife was throwing herself at JJ, but I guess it was a test, to see if JJ would roll over her. JJ elected to stay mum, and supposedly was rewarded with his "promotion". The CO didn't want to divorce his wife, so he did the next best thing, jettison the current object of her desire away.

Didn't Paladini roll over the guy who got into the barracks too late? I forget which way that played out, I only know that JJ got promoted from Paladini's mis-step for that incident.