The Searchers (1956) (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Reminder.

The Searchers is screening tonight in 35mm at the Loews Jersey in Journal Square Jersey City. 8 pm.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
IMG_2732.JPG

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I found the following quotes from IMDB interesting:

Beulah Archuletta (Look) was found crying in one of the tipis by John Wayne in between shooting scenes. When Wayne asked her why she was crying, she responded that she was going to miss her son's wedding because she was filming her scenes at the time. John Wayne stopped production of the film for a few days, and flew her to California so that she could attend the wedding.
I like to think this is true. Would they really have stopped production. More likely they worked around her absence.

Jean-Luc Godard said that no matter how much he despised John Wayne's right-wing political beliefs, every time that he saw Wayne taking up Little Debbie in his arms at the end of the film, he forgave him for everything.
I included this not to bring in politics, but to illustrate the power of an artistic performance. While I don't agree with the Duke's beliefs, there's no way I'm going to deny myself enjoying his work.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
I would highly recommend the book The Searchers by Glenn Frankel. A great read about the real history of the Comanche and Texans and then about the making of the film. Reading it again for the second time.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I would highly recommend the book The Searchers by Glenn Frankel. A great read about the real history of the Comanche and Texans and then about the making of the film. Reading it again for the second time.
I bought the book shortly after seeing the film for the first time but never got around to reading it. I’ll have to remedy that.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I’ve watched a lot of classic westerns since watching The Searchers and it still holds the number one spot for me. Would love to see this remastered and released in 4K.

View attachment 84560

I'm with you Tino! I think this is both John Wayne's and John Ford's best film. I'd love to see The Searchers get the loving care it needs for a beautiful 4K release.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm with you Tino! I think this is both John Wayne's and John Ford's best film. I'd love to see The Searchers get the loving care it needs for a beautiful 4K release.
John Wayne, the star, is not in The Searchers. Instead we get a fully formed character portrayed by an actor giving, IMO, his finest performance.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
John Wayne, the star, is not in The Searchers. Instead we get a fully formed character portrayed by an actor giving, IMO, his finest performance.
The Duke was a much better actor than he was given credit for. I watched "3 Godfathers" on Christmas Eve night and he gave an excellent acting performance in that film with a range of emotions in the movie.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Absolutely. I think the Duke is a terrific actor. Never got the criticism. He is by far in my opinion the best “Western ” actor ever. He has so much macho charisma no one comes close.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As I've stated beforehand, "The Searchers" is my all-time favorite movie. I've probably watched it more times than any other movie in my lifetime. Though, "3 Godfathers" comes close to the number of views as I watch that particular movie every Christmas season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks