What's new

The Searchers (1956) (2 Viewers)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
It's my least favorite of Ford/Wayne "Cavalry Trilogy' movies. It's a good movie, but, I enjoy "Fort Apache" and "Rio Grande" more with their black and white cinematography.

Agree to disagree. :)

They are all solid films, but I tend to prefer Hoch's technicolor work on She Wore A Yellow Ribbon. There is some really wonderful imagery in this particular film. Ironically, Hoch's work on The Searchers did not receive an Academy Award nomination and it is that film that made the American Society of Cinematographer's Top 100 list.

- Walter.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It's my least favorite of Ford/Wayne "Cavalry Trilogy' movies. It's a good movie, but, I enjoy "Fort Apache" and "Rio Grande" more with their black and white cinematography.
Yah. Me too. I thought it was good not great.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Agree to disagree. :)

They are all solid films, but I tend to prefer Hoch's technicolor work on She Wore A Yellow Ribbon. There is some really wonderful imagery in this particular film. Ironically, Hoch's work on The Searchers did not receive an Academy Award nomination and it is that film that made the American Society of Cinematographer's Top 100 list.

- Walter.
IMO, the camerawork in the two black and white movies are just as good if not more impressive than on She Wore a Yellow Ribbon.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Let me know if it’s worth an upgrade
I watched it with the audio commentary, but didn't compare the video presentation to the previous BD. I do know this BD has a lot more bonus material. IMO, the video presentation is very good, but, I'm really not in the mood to start doing comparisons between the two different BD releases. I bought the second release for the bonus material because I'm a huge Wayne and Ford fan.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I watched it with the audio commentary, but didn't compare the video presentation to the previous BD. I do know this BD has a lot more bonus material. IMO, the video presentation is very good, but, I'm really not in the mood to start doing comparisons between the two different BD releases. I bought the second release for the bonus material because I'm a huge Wayne and Ford fan.
Yeah. I wound up buying it today for the same reason.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Which film are you referring to regarding the bonus material?

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
504A8EFA-E82A-4434-811B-32D181E4ADBB.jpeg

LINK: The Searchers (1956) Video Comparison

Note how the unmatted transfer reveals set lighting and the edges of studio backdrops that wouldn’t be seen in normal projection with proper matting, yet the initial video releases on LaserDisc and VHS exposed more than the creators’ had intended. IIRC these were seen as flubs in some books that documented such things, which I don’t think is fair as they would not have been seen if matted as intended.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
View attachment 139888

LINK: The Searchers (1956) Video Comparison

Note how the unmatted transfer reveals set lighting and the edges of studio backdrops that wouldn’t be seen in normal projection with proper matting, yet the initial video releases on LaserDisc and VHS exposed more than the creators’ had intended. IIRC these were seen as flubs in some books that documented such things, which I don’t think is fair as they would not have been seen if matted as intended.
We need a 4K UHD WB ! :confused: Where is it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks