What's new

The Searchers (1956) (1 Viewer)

LincolnSpector

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lincoln Spector
Although I'm a fan of both Ford and Wayne, I never cared for The Searchers all that much. Many parts of it are brilliant, including Wayne's performance and that incredible final shot.

But much of the story makes no sense, and Wayne's character is so repulsive I didn't want to spend that much time with him. Worst of all, the most interesting part of the story is the one we never see: the relationship between Scar and Lucy.

I realize that I'm in the minority here.

My favorite Ford westerns (the links are to my articles on them).

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Although I'm a fan of both Ford and Wayne, I never cared for The Searchers all that much. Many parts of it are brilliant, including Wayne's performance and that incredible final shot.

But much of the story makes no sense, and Wayne's character is so repulsive I didn't want to spend that much time with him. Worst of all, the most interesting part of the story is the one we never see: the relationship between Scar and Lucy.

My favorite Ford westerns (the links are to my articles on them).
It's a natural reaction to be repulsed by a character and have that effect your assessment of the movie. I'm a little surprised it doesn't effect me that way since few are the times that John Wayne plays a negative character. As for Scar and Lucy, that was never meant to be part of the movie. The movie was more about the white man's attitude towards the indians. I also wonder if they could gotten away with portraying that relationship in the period when the movie was made.

In the book I cited earlier I learned both the indians and whites did not understand each other and that both committed atrocities.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I love this movie but it has a moment when I'm taken out of the movie. That is when Natalie Wood first appears as (not sure of character's name at the moment) Debbie. She is the classic hollywood indian. She's gorgeous, wearing makeup, and shows no sign of living what must be a difficult life living on the land with very few, if any, of the things that people of that time had. It's quite jarring for me.

BTW, I can recommend a non-fiction book titled The Searchers: The Making of an American Legend. It has two parts, the first a background on the history of the old west during the period when the girl who was kidnapped and became the inspiration for the movie, and then a second part about the making of the movie.

It did not have a happy ending for the girl as she never readapted to living in the white world. She would have been better of staying with the Indians.
I have this book being delivered today.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Hmm...I don't see what doesn't make sense about the story. Wayne does alternate between hero and villain, but it makes sense to me. Making the lead character contradictory made the story more interesting, IMO.

And I think you meant Scar and Debbie, as Lucy had been buried by Ethan earlier in the film. I don't think Scar's relationship to anyone is more interesting in the film as it exists. The story from Scar's point of view would have been a different story altogether. The Searchers (like a lot of stories) chose to concentrate on the motives and loves and hates of only a few characters, chiefly Ethan. It would have to be more of a Game of Thrones type of presentation to delve into every character.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The unspoken storyline in the film is to whether Debbie is actually Ethan's daughter. I'm of the opinion that she is which says a lot about his actions and what he didn't do at the end of the film.

LincolnSpector

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lincoln Spector
Hmm...I don't see what doesn't make sense about the story. Wayne does alternate between hero and villain, but it makes sense to me. Making the lead character contradictory made the story more interesting, IMO..
It's been years since I saw it. I remember that several scenes felt very unbelievable, but I honestly don't remember which they are now.

And I think you meant Scar and Debbie, as Lucy had been buried by Ethan earlier in the film. I don't think Scar's relationship to anyone is more interesting in the film as it exists. The story from Scar's point of view would have been a different story altogether. The Searchers (like a lot of stories) chose to concentrate on the motives and loves and hates of only a few characters, chiefly Ethan. It would have to be more of a Game of Thrones type of presentation to delve into every character.
I stand corrected.

Lincoln

LincolnSpector

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lincoln Spector
The unspoken storyline in the film is to whether Debbie is actually Ethan's daughter. I'm of the opinion that she is which says a lot about his actions and what he didn't do at the end of the film.
That's an interesting interpretation, and one that makes sense. He clearly loves his brother's wife, and she clearly loves him.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
SPOILER

Question. Towards the end when Ethan tells Marty he recognizes the scalp on Scars staff as his mothers, does he mean Marty's real mother or his Aunt/Mom?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have this book being delivered today.
Let us know what you think of it. It briefly starts with content about the movie but quickly switches to a history of the old west.

Early in the film we see meaningful glances exchanged between Ethan and his brother's wife.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Hmmm...I don't really see Debbie being the daughter of Ethan and Martha. There's no doubt there was a chemistry between them, to which you allude in the scene where Ethan is leaving to join the posse. I've always taken it to mean that Ethan was certainly motivated by more than brotherly love for Martha, and that Debbie could have been his daughter had Martha been his wife. But I do not discount your theory entirely.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Unbelievably I finally got around to watching The Searchers for the first time yesterday after being in my collection for years Unwatched.

What an amazing film.

Yes, it often makes all-time top 20 lists for "best film ever" and it deserves it. As good as the critics say it is.

Anyone who ever thought John Wayne wasn't a great actor obviously hasn't seen it. He's incredible. The film is a pure work of art start to finish, and extremely entertaining to boot.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Already amazing to look at; but I wonder how "The Searchers" might fare with an updated 4K treatment?
Meanwhile, how's the U.S. BD [vs. the UK BD] looking for "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance"?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Roger Ebert's great ⭐⭐⭐⭐️review of The Searchers

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-the-searchers-1956

Excerpt
| Roger Ebert
November 25, 2001 |

John Ford's “The Searchers” contains scenes of magnificence, and one of John Wayne's best performances. There are shots that are astonishingly beautiful. A cover story inNew Yorkmagazine called it the most influential movie in American history. And yet at its center is a difficult question, because the Wayne character is racist without apology--and so, in a less outspoken way, are the other white characters. Is the film intended to endorse their attitudes, or to dramatize and regret them? Today we see it through enlightened eyes, but in 1956 many audiences accepted its harsh view of Indians.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
And, I'm sure you remember, in John Ford's tribute to Harry Carey at the beginning of the 3 Godfathers, the actor representing Mr Carey, mounted on a horse in the middle distance, also does that arm-holding gesture.

I re-watched 3 Godfathers last night, and NO!--- the actor representing Mr Carey, mounted on a horse in the middle distance, does NOT DO that arm-holding gesture.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks