The Salton Sea?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Rockwell, Jan 29, 2002.

1. John Rockwell

John Rockwell Auditioning

What happened to this movie? If you don't know what I'm talking about, a while ago I heard some good things about this movie "The Salton Sea", starring Val Kilmer and Vincent D'Onofrio. It was said to be released March 1st, now I don't see anyone listing it. I checked several sites, including upcomingmovies.com, and found no info. Anyone know whats up?

2. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Release Date: April 19th, 2002 (limited/moderate release; moved back several weeks from March 1st, 2002; originally scheduled for November 2nd, 2001, then, September, 2001, and then, December 25th, 2001)
    http://www.upcomingmovies.com/saltonsea.html

3. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

There's been a thread on this, it's coming out shortly.

4. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I am looking forward to The Salton Sea. It opens in limited release this weekend, although I can't find out where exactly--wide on May 17. Early reviews have been good. 86% at Rottentomatoes.
    Peter Travers said:

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

It's really a shame that this little pulp-noir gem is being released at just the right time to be buried by Spider-Man and Star Wars II. It's the best work Val Kilmer has done in years, and the supporting cast is superb, especially D'Onofrio. It'll probably have to wait for video to be discovered, but if you have the chance, it's well worth seeing in a theater. Beautiful, stylized cinematography, and you'll never be bored.

I was planning to write a longer review, but I doubt I'll have time this week. Just see it!

M.

6. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

7. Michael Reuben

Aww, Edwin, you know there's no such thing as a "right" review. [​IMG] My tastes run the gamut from pure exercises in style to intense character-driven fare shot very simply. Salton Sea is firmly at the "style" end of the spectrum. But I'd say the same thing about Pulp Fiction, which it resembles in many respects.
    M.

8. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

I am a huge val kilmer fan and this one looks to be terrific. can't wait!

9. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

any reviews on this yet???

10. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I don't remember whether Ebert thumb-upped the film or not but he also had an extremely positive review for D'Onofrio's performance.

11. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

Ebert gave it a thumbs up. Both he AND roeper did.

On a side note, such a bad time to release this film with spiderman and star wars. It's getting overlooked.

12. BrianKM

BrianKM Stunt Coordinator

I saw this one about three weeks ago and I was mostly left with a ho-hum feeling. D'Onofrio is awesome as usual and there is a cool Fincheresque steadicam sequence, but I could never buy Kilmer as a speed freak and some of the plot contrivances were downright annoying. Debra Kara Unger (from The Game) is in this one too. [​IMG]

13. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

I think Michael Reuben is right on this one. [​IMG]
    But only up to a certain extent. I agree about the strong performances in this film from a very fine ensemble cast including Vincent D’Onofrio as Pooh-Bear. He makes his character really scary and evil. But this film noir is a character driven vehicle powered by a very strong performance by Val Kilmer.
    However, The Salton Sea is not without its faults. There is one aspect to the story, which did not feel natural. It is as if that we are forced to accept one too many facets to Val Kilmer’s character - from a trumpet playing common person to a speed freak to at least two or three other transformations that borders on spoiling the film if mentioned further.
    I guess my reaction is a mixed one. It is definitely nice to see David Caruso’s potential as a feature film director. The film kept me interested in the fate of the characters. However, its ending is another matter. From the very first frame, the film sets itself as an edgy, bold and one that is willing to take risks. The ending, however, did not stay true in form to that tone. It comes at a point in the film when the voice-over narration by the main character asks the question, “Wait a minute. What the hell is this?”
    Those who have seen the film will know what I’m talking about. Some audiences like myself will definitely ask: Really, what the hell was that? It is as if the ending was tacked on as a result of test audiences disliking a much darker ending, which would have been a better fit for this type of a film.
    There is also a subplot concerning a love interest for Val Kilmer’s character that when analyzed and taken into context within the film's bigger plot, did not make any sense at all.
    Even with its faults, the film is still worth a look if only for its performances, atmosphere and style. The Salton Sea aims high but remains grounded from being a better film due to an incomprehensible storyline and a few unconvincing plot turns.
    ~Edwin

14. Michael Reuben

Glad you liked it, Edwin. FWIW, I agree that the plotting has some problems. (You're 100% right about the "love interest" subplot.) But while I too would have preferred a better resolution, it's still a great ride.

15. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I saw The Salton Sea the same day I saw Insomnia and immediately put both films on my to buy list. I'm glad I saw it because (like Brain Candy) it only played in Seattle for two weeks.

I like how the film kept redefining itself, going from one genre to another, but like Ebert I was a little dissapointed in the end. It reminded me of how I felt about Desperado (see second spolier below). Had it ended a couple minutes earlier

when Val was floating through the hallway

I think the ending would have been more open to interpretation and more powerful.

I always thought Desperado should have ended when it faded to white. When the film returns from white, and we see all the characters we care about are still alive, I felt cheated out of the gun battle we never saw.

16. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Just getting some awareness on this film's DVD release.

~Edwin

17. L. Anton Dencklau

L. Anton Dencklau Second Unit

After watching this, I can't fathom why Warner did such a limited theatrical release. An 18m movie with lots of recognizable actors..there's even a happy ending..sort of
    . Was this a tax write off? Did Val Kilmer piss somebody off at the studio?

There's got to be more behind this decision that hasn't been made public. (unless of course, the powers that be are simply stupid. You send City By the Sea wide, but not this?) They left money on table....

18. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

19. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale

20. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

And while I love the heck out of several of them, how many people are going to see a movie because they are in it. The point being, it's not like Warner buried a movie with the cast of Ocean's 11 here; the good cast wasn't going to give it a big opening weekend.