What's new

The Road to the SuperBowl: The NFL Playoffs (1 Viewer)

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
earlier this year ... should prove to anyone that the Steelers could easily beat the Falcons.
If this logic holds true then the Falcons should have been eliminated because earlier this year, the Packers beat them.

I based my synopsis, opinion, skewed rhetoric whathaveyou on how the teams are playing today.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Interesting analyses.

Agreed on the Jets-Raiders. The Jets stomped the worst team in the post-season (the Colts) last week, and a very suspect GB the week before. The Raiders dominated much of the season. It will be a great game, but the Jets haven't exactly played a tough team since NE.

Falcons-Eagles. I bet McNabb plays decent. Which should be enough for a fairly easy win. The Eagles defense does not have the speed of the Bucs (who manhandle Vick), but they punish the offense. They just punish them. As much as the NFL would love to see Most Profitable Player MV play as many games as possible, he needs more help to beat the elite.

49ers-Bucs. Tough to tell, but I don't think Garcia can keep up. This game really hinges on the Bucs offense. They need a solid game for a win, and they should be able to get it. The 49ers were on an emotional rollercoaster last week...but the Bucs D will NOT roll over.

Steelers-Titans. The Titans just win. I hope they continue as they are the only team in the post-season I really like. This should be a great match-up. That come-from-behind crap won't work here, though. The Steelers need to take advantage of scoring opportunities as often as they can. If they get behind, it'll be "three yards and a cloud of dust."

4 great games should make for a great weekend!

Take care,
Chuck

ben hunt

Stunt Coordinator
I'd have to say Raiders (the jets do look scary though), Bucs, Falcons in an upset, and Titans will all win.

Raiders I think (hope) win the superbowl this year.

rin

Stunt Coordinator
I based my synopsis, opinion, skewed rhetoric whathaveyou on how the teams are playing today
Both teams are playing better today than when they met earlier this season.

Also, I liked the Steelers coaching in the Browns game. They were being aggressive on both sides of the ball instead of going ultra-conservative like Cowher has done in the past when trailing(or with a decent lead) in a big game.

The Titans? Are you kidding me? They have been playing very well but they'll need to score at least 30 points to win this weekend and I don't see them doing that against the Steeler D. That said, it should be a good one.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Prediction time:

Steelers over Titans; close physical game that goes down to the wire. Maybe one of those games that could have gone either way.

Eagles over Falcons; The Birds just too strong across the board; shut down Vick (difficult but can be done) and the rest falls into place.

49ers over Bucs; just because there were two upsets last week, sort of...and I just dont think Brad Johnson can do it. This may be a Ravens of 2000 type win for the Bucs. Ugly, defense scores the TDs. (Probably will be a Bucs blowout..ha) but I'll go with the upset.

Raiders over Jets; Raiders came too close last year, have numerous weapons, know how to beat the Jets (ceremonial game stoppage-hehe), will not let a tuck rule decide their fate this year; fast Jets receivers will be slowed by a wet n' sloppy field.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
After going 3-1 for the Wildcard round here are my Divisional round picks.
Steelers vs. Titans
The Titans were one of the hottest teams coming down the stretch, they had a bye and they are at home. Teams coming off a bye are, I believe, 39-9 in divisional playoffs so they have everything going for them.
The Steelers should be up for this game after their frantic comeback last week. I’m not a big believer in their D, but the good thing is their over all run D is pretty good so that should help them in the game.
The Steelers’ passing D on the other hand more then deserves its’ reputation as soft. So many teams have just crashed them this year. The secondary is a huge problem for them because they are facing a legitimate MVP candidate in McNair.
I also think that that the Titans will be motivated as a team after their collective Pro Bowl snub. It’s going to be a close game but in the end my pick is the Titans.
Falcons vs. Eagles
The Falcons looked (or should I say Vick looked) great last week but I think the Eagles D can contain Vick.
Also with McNabb coming back their should be some add life to the Eagles’ offense.
My safe pick is the Eagles.
49ers vs. Buccaneers
Yes the Buc’s D is very good but the question is, can the Buc’s offense get any touchdowns? Gruden’s history is that he is very conservative in playoff games. This year he doesn’t have a great offense and his QB is hurt. I suspect that he’ll try to run, run and run his way to victory and hope his D can shut out their opponents.
If the 49ers can stop the run just enough they should be in this game late and after last weeks great come back their offense will have the confidence get the job done late in the game.
Garcia’s mobility will also help keep the chains moving late and the Buc’s D on the field late in the game.
Another close game but in the end the 49ers will win.
Jets vs. Raiders
This one is a tough one to call. The Raiders were the hotter team coming down the stretch. They are the more talented team, they are at home and they are also coming off a bye.
The Jets on the other hand seem to have that special magic that makes them the team to beat in this year’s playoffs.
I think both quarterbacks will have mistake free games and the Ds will also play well.
The difference will be the Special Teams and that favors the Jets. The Raiders’ special teams’ goal should be to put every kick off in the end zone and every punt either out of bounds or out of the end zone. It would be better for the Raiders to make the Jets start a drive around their twenty and not let their great kick returners give them good field position.
Now the Raiders are favored but most in the NFL community are picking the Jets so I guess it won’t be such a big upset if I predict the Jets will win a close one.
So there you have it, safe picks on Saturday and nothing but upsets on Sunday.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Well, the Titans did get the 30+ points, and a very tough win. The best playoff game so far. The Titans might be getting too banged up to keep this up.

Take care,
Chuck

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
It was a great game between the Steelers and Titans. The Steelers had plenty of opportunites to win but played it conservative again and lost in OT. Cowher deserves his reputation as a coach that can't win in the playoffs. The game looked amazing in HDTV.

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Just a note to all you claiming teh Bucs have no offense....

That's only partially true:

Bucs offense when Rob Johnson or Shaun King starts: 11.9 ppg

Bucs offense when Brad Johnson starts: 24 ppg

Bucs starter tomorrow: Brad Johnson

Bucs by a TD.....

Mark Lee

Second Unit
If it weren't for that D....
Watched the Eagles game in a Santa Monica sports bar with an old college friend of mine that's a Philly native and a diehard Eagles fan. Never heard him swear so much before as he was doing thru most of the second half (when it seemed like the Eagles offense was pulling a Baltimore Ravens impression, and trying to do just enough not to lose, while letting the defensive unit shoulder the burden). And this guy's a church-going, good Catholic (or so he says....)!!
If this pattern continues, we should be looking forward next week to a thrilling matchup of defenses, interspersed with numerous brief interludes of sputtering offense. Final score: 10-7 (with all the TDs scored by the defense).
Meanwhile, we've got another pair of games to watch tomorrow. J-E-T-S, JETS, JETS, JETS!!!! :D

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Titans - Steelers game was very entertaining. Pittsburgh's poor pass defense was their undoing, just as it was early in the season against the Raiders and Patriots. As Chuck said, though, the Titans look very banged up. I think the winner of today's Raiders - Jets game goes to San Diego.

The Eagles need to find their offense quickly. Philly's defense was great, but they will need to move the ball better against Tampa or San Fran. The Eagles biggest weakness is at wide receiver -- James Thrash is their only threat.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
One nice element of the Steelers-Titans game was the physicality of it. It was smashmouth, and I liked that. I like Cowher as a coach, but the man spends more time whining to referees than he does coaching his special teams. Too bad.

Take care,
Chuck

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
The Eagles need to find their offense quickly. Philly's defense was great, but they will need to move the ball better against Tampa or San Fran. The Eagles biggest weakness is at wide receiver -- James Thrash is their only threat.
If you think Thrash is their only threat, you haven't watch the Eagles. Thrash was virtually nonexistent down the stretch with the goto guy being Todd Pinkston. Also, the Eagles offense spreads the ball around so much that no one gets gawdy numbers. By the way, McNabb was 20-30 with 247 yards. I don't understand where you get the idea that the Eagles don't move the ball. (By the way, Pinkston is battling turf toe and had a decent game yesterday considering...)

The Eagles will win next weekend on defense. The offense just needs to put a few scores up and they'll be fine. I doubt that they are shaking in their boots about either possible opponent.

Steve Clark

Second Unit
Cowher deserves his reputation as a coach that can't win in the playoffs.
I agree with this. Cowher seems to be the current "Marty Schottenheimer" when it comes to a lack of playoff success. Jon Gruden needs to get to the Super Bowl with Tampa Bay within 3-4 years or he will fall into that category also.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Now that my Falcons are out, my pics for the Bowl are Tampa Bay v Oakland (with several refs fired due to major blown calls in playoff games, ok maybe not, but we can hope refs seem to be immune to trouble)

Chris

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Bucs/Eagles in NFC Championship game....

The way it should be....

For the Bucs, third time a charm???

For the Eagles, run(Staley and McNabb) all the way to the Super Bowl??

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I was a dismal 2 and 2 for the weekend.

A guess I should have just gone with the bye teams.

Of course I’m very happy that I was wrong about the Raiders’ game.

Next opponent the Titans will be a very difficult game. Hopefully home field will once again work its’ magic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks