What's new

The Road to the SuperBowl: The NFL Playoffs (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
These playoffs are interesting indeed.
The Pack lose to Atlanta.
The Browns choke against the Steelers.
The Colts get annihilated in NY against the Jets.
The Niners beat the Giants..
Quick prediction:
The Jets win it all. They seem like the Patriots of this year. Just clicking at the right time with a big time offense.
Edited for the Niners game.
Funny thing happened. Me and a coworker were talking about the Giants holder(Junkin) who is a 41 yr old Dallas Cowboys reject from the preseason and how inconsistent he was and how the game wasn't over...then he muffs the FG. :laugh:
Looks like The 49ers will go to TB and Atlanta will go to Philly.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Holy crap, guess we were lucky today and got 2 great games compared to the blowouts of Saturday.
Jets Vs. Raiders, well that's a scary prospect for any Raider fan but the road to the prize ain't easy. Gonna be a great one :).

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Divisional Round
Atlanta at Philadelphia
San Francisco at Tampa Bay
Pittsburgh at Tennessee
New York at Oakland
Eagles, Bucs, Jets, and Titans survive...

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Thank goodness the Giants defense decided they no longer wanted to stop anybody, and their long snapper just came out of retirement to muff two field goal attempts.
As an Eagles fan, the road to the Super Bowl just got easier, as the Giants play them better then any other team out there. Vick has yet to feel the wrath of the Vet, and should be in for a treat next week. I see Tampa and Philly in the NFC championship (In Philly :)).
J

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
The Giant defense really imploded toward the end of the game. Kind of reminds me of the playoff game they blew against the Viking a few years back.

Now where was I??

Oh, right. Go Jets!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Funny thing happened. Me and a coworker were talking about the Giants holder(Junkin) who is a 41 yr old Dallas Cowboys reject from the preseason and how inconsistent he was and how the game wasn't over...then he muffs the FG.
FYI, Junkin was the long snapper, not the holder. Since it was only third down, if the holder has been thinking clearly, he should have spiked the ball, which would have stopped the clock before it ran out and gave the Giants another chance at a field goal.

Those were two great comebacks. I did not think Cleveland was playing that well -- Pittsburgh was hurting themselves with too many mistakes (plus their secondary was terrible). Once they stopped turning the ball over, they were able to comeback.

The Giants collapse was more surprising. They were completely dominating the Niners, then just stopped running their offense and let San Fran back into the game.

The AFC games look like the best matchups this weekend. The Raiders - Jets game should be a good one. While the Raiders have been the AFC's best team, the Jets are playing great football right now. While the Titans beat Pittsburgh easily in their first meeting, Pittsburgh should be able to stop Tennessee's running game. The Titans will need to beat the Steelers through the air.

Predictions:
Raiders over Jets (NY has to cool off sometime)
Steelers over Titans (Maddox has a good game)
Eagles over Falcons (Philly shuts down Vick)
Bucs over Niners (Brad Johnson is back, and San Fran used up all their luck yesterday)

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Colts over Jets
-lived in Indy for about 20 years
Packers over Falcons
-not a GB fan, but Atlanta let down my Broncos last week
Steelers over Browns
- My buddy-coming-over-today's Dad grew up in Pitts. (and Cleveland made Atlanta let down my Bronc...)
Giants over 49ers
- I think NY would make for a more interesting game next week
So... 1 for 3. Pretty much how I've been all season. So, don't take my advice and don't go to Vegas and don't bet against me this week and you won't come out way ahead! :)
My desired picks:
Philly over Atlanta
-Don't you DARE lose to Cleveland to keep the Broncs out of the playoffs and then go to the champianship game!
San Fran over Tampa Bay
-This is silly, but since ALL my teams are out I gotta have something. Let's give the 49'ers a consistant well-played game they deserve after that comeback.
Pittsburg over Tennessee
-I sure like McNair, but you should have seen my buddy when his Steelers were losing yesterday. Pitiful, just pitiful.
New York over Oakland
-This one I really care about. ##$)(#)&$# Raiders!!!!! ;) Plus, I really like that Pennington guy's attitude.
So there you have it. Bet against me and you just might lose one game!

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Two great games yesterday. After the two blowouts on Saturday it was good to see some close games even though they were both blowouts at one time. It's hard to believe that there were two huge comebacks in the same day.
The Steelers pass defense was just terrible (pretty much has been all season). If they don't get pressure on the QB, they get torn up. I was so close to turning this game off out of frustration and I was driving my wife nuts with my yelling. :D Thankfully Cowher finally let Tommy do what he does best and he lead them back for a huge win. Kordell would never have been able to do that. Thanks to all of the other teams in the NFL for not giving Maddox a chance. I think he's the best QB the Steelers have had since Bradshaw. Looking toward the TEN game, the Titans don't have the same type of quick WRs that CLE has and rely more on the run. I don't believe that they'll be able to pass like CLE did. Look for the Steelers to ride the momentum and get their revenge against TEN. Go Steelers!! :D

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
My picks:
Jets over Raiders
Bucs over Niners
Eagles over Falcons
Titans over Steelers

I actually think the Falcons and Niners have pretty good chances for upsets, but history shows that only one road team wins in the divisional round and I feel most strongly about the Jets. Of course, Mike Vick doesn't seem to care too much about history.

Mike Poindexter

Stunt Coordinator
I think that no matter who wins, we are in for some exciting games. Although last Saturday's games were not exactly exciting, Sunday was by far a different story.

Raiders over Jets
Niners over Bucs (small upset here!)
Titans over Steelers
Falcons over Eagles (big upset here!!)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
i find it very hard to believe that the Falcons can beat the Eagles. Michael Vick cannot win a game vs this Eagles squad with 117 passing yards. Vick will find out that his passing options are gone and will attempt to win the game on the ground. Before last week's Tiki Barber show, the Birds were 2nd in the NFL in rushing defense. I just cannot see any way the Falcons can win unless there is some unexpected development.... But then again, "that's why they play the games."

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Patrick,

Can you foresee a situation kind of like Bettis and the Steelers in last years AFC championship where McNabb comes back and is rusty and the Eagles go down early ?

Or do you think he is good enough to come right in and pound the Falcons ?

That is the only question mark in my mind, otherwise I think the powerful Eagles will win.

Lowell_B

Second Unit
Man, Sunday's games were fantastic. Of course it helps that I was rooting for both Pittsburgh and San Fran. :)
I guess I'll toss out a few picks for next weekend.
NY Jets over Oakland Raiders
San Francisco 49ers over Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Pittsburgh Steelers over Tennessee Titans
Philadelphia Eagles over Atlanta Falcons
Lowell

Denward

Supporting Actor
Here's an ASTOUNDING statement published on NFL.com re: the 49ers-Giants finish:
http://www.superbowl.com/news/story/6107457
For those who want the Cliff Notes version, it says 2 things:
1. The holder could not have spiked the ball to stop the clock. This manuever is only valid when the QB is under center, not on a long snap or shotgun snap. It would have been ruled intentional grounding with the normal penalty and a 10 second deduction off the clock, thus ending the game.
2. (Much more interesting) The Giants were correctly penalized for having ineligible players downfield. However, the NFL has determined that there was at least one eligible receiver downfield who was interfered with and the 49ers should have been penalized as well. There should have been offsetting penalties which should have allowed the Giants another down, even though time ran out.
Discuss amongst yourselves.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
That Eagles team is going to be so jacked up and ready to play, McNabb will not have to make many plays for them to win. I see the Falcons getting shut down in the same way they did against the Bucs and if McNabb shows any of his old self, that Eagles team will be even more fired up. Micheal Vicks big victory came last week, and that was good enough for the second year player. 17-10 Eagles.

Raiders over Jets.
Bucs over 49ers
Titans over Steelers.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
an ASTOUNDING statement
It doesn't astound me. It's not the first time that the NFL has said that officials made a mistake in a game.
As reported on ESPN.Com, the 49ers concede the point but claim that they should have won the game anyway, because they intercepted a pass late in the game that the officials missed.
Bottom line: SF won, and New England still holds the 2002 Lombardi Trophy. :)

Alex-C

Screenwriter
yea...whats the big deal, so the Giants spent a day in the life of the Raiders.

:wink:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The Giants had virtually unlimited opportunites to stop the 49ers and win the game. If they'd, oh, maybe played defense in the second half? Or, let's see, not missed a field goal earlier in the game? The fact that this error may have taken away one of their many chances doesn't fix the fact they they blew every opportunity that came before that moment.

Users who are viewing this thread