What's new

"The Practice" 3-31-03 (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Did you see it?
Much of the show dealt with U.S. Attorney General Ashcroft's attitude about the death penalty.
Of course, there's no way to discuss the show without getting this thread closed. But, it was good to see a program with the courage to tackle the issue.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I didn't see this one, but I wish the Practice would stop "tackling issues" and go back to be the darkly funny show it used to be. There has been ZERO humour in the last year or so, except this one show where one Eugene was so surprised by his own witness that he laughed out loud in court. Jimmy: "Ya laughed?!" :laugh:

It used to be my favorite show, I am not so sure any more :frowning:

--
Holadem

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
An OK episode. I am mixed about the death penalty case - and I am not discussing my views on the sentence. I am talking about how it was used on the show.

On one hand, it was very heavy-handed preaching to the audience. The show's stance, and the stance they wanted you to take, were very clear. That was not so good. I'd appreciated it more if they weren't so one-sided.

However, I also appreciate David E Kelly and crew's passion for the country and the justice system. They viewed the show as a means to communicate to us what the current administration is pushing in regards to executions. Whether or not I agree with it, I DO think citizens should be aware of it.

For me, it's a good catalyst to start doing my own research and thinking about it, to find out what's going on. I would never take at face value what's presented in a 43-minute show was a comprehensive, 100% portrayal of reality.

Moving along from the political storyline...

Bobby's storyline is being very well written. It's not necessarily enjoyable all the time, though I did have a few cackles at Bobby's expense. I think the depiction of the breakdown of communication and motivation seems pretty on-target. It's a shame they have to use up time that could be devoted to more on-topic (i.e. legal) storylines, but at least it's being well done.

I have come close several times to writing the show off, but each time it's managed to improve just enough to keep me watching. However, unless there's some compelling reason, this season may very well be my last to watch the show.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
It's great that they have some balls to show how screwy and political our legal system can be.

Even though you shouldn't take The Practice as Law School 101, at least it makes you think about the issues and may spur you to do your own digging. I do feel Ashcroft is bad news, and not just because it was on The Practice.

Remember, the characters' stances were not that the death penality should be abolished entirely, but that until the system's serious kinks are worked out, the ultimate penality should not be casually doled out. Makes sense to me.

Law and Order preaches all the time and has been hailed as a classic TV show. Double standard?

Dan

Rob T

Screenwriter
I loved it back in the day when they were all goofing on each other ("Big head!" :D), there was a lot of internal firm problems and Lindsey and Helen were room mates. Theat's pretty much all gone now, but it's still a good show. :)

Don Black

Screenwriter
I'm curious as to the accuracy of the portrayal of these committees. Anyone in criminal law care to comment? The politics of the topic are obvious and emotion runs high with unfortunate consequences.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
I like the Practice; it's evolved. Back when Ally McBeal was still on, it was trying to be just a goofy and oddball; now, it's darker. These guys are staring into the Abyss, and the Abyss is staring back, so to speak.

That having been said, for every good thing Kelley does, he does a bad thing. At the end, the whole scene with Bobby and wots-her-name was perfect (I was shouting at him, and I don't often shout at the TV) until the camera started to pull back, after wots-her-face drove off, and I said "oops, his wife just HAPPENS to be there, watching," and sure enough, there she is.

Ah well. Good stuff. I remember the episode where Lisa Gay Hamilton's character, her name escapes me off hand, took the case of the wife of the Arabic-American being held by the gov't, right after 9/11. "In times of war, law is silent." They really tackle the good stuff.

But what happened to Creepy Clark Kent looking mommy boy? Did they just drop that story line?

Don Black

Screenwriter
He got life? I thought he was acquitted and then somehow got hurt by Lindsey's client?

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, he was acquitted and we last saw him opening the door of his house to a messenger making a delivery. The messenger turned out to be Lindsey's crazy client and it's implied that the mommy boy gets killed.

But I wouldn't be surprised if in an upcoming episode they should the opposite happened. The mommy boy looks crazy enough to kill Lindsey's crazy client, lol.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Ah yes, I'd forgotten about the 'delivery boy.' One of them will presumably turn up dead in a few episodes. And...HELEN GAMBLE will be implicated! We'll have that whole 'women in prison' thing again!

Eh.

Rebecca, that's her. Another excellent storyline; the argument over her getting a blood transfusion.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
That was brilliant, still the good ol days IMO.

The Creepy Clark Kent looking mommy boy: wasn't he Spears in Bands of Brothers? If it's him, he is good with these psycho roles...

--
Holadem

Rob T

Screenwriter
Yeah, he was acquitted and we last saw him opening the door of his house to a messenger making a delivery. The messenger turned out to be Lindsey's crazy client and it's implied that the mommy boy gets killed.
oh that one. I got confused with the Clark Kent comment. I thought you were talking about last Sundays episode.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
The wife and I both thought that creepy mommas-boy looked like a young Chris Reeve, or a slightly chubby Tom Welling.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
The Creepy Clark Kent looking mommy boy: wasn't he Spears in Bands of Brothers? If it's him, he is good with these psycho roles
Oh shit, I think you're right. Spears was the crazy lt. right? the one that wasn't afraid to die? He took over EZ Company towards the end of the series?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Yep. "If he offers you a cigarette, don't take it!" Spears. He has this Norman Bates thing going.

Checking his name would be easy enough on imdb, but I don't think I can do the same for a specific ep of the practice. I am too lazy to go digging on abc's website. Oh well.

--
Holadem

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks