What's new

The Phantom Creeps Serial from VCI in 2K now and maybe 4K soon?? (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Yep they are nearly all bootlegged sad because he could try to make a deal to go legit Every Republic is owned now by Paramount most of the Columbias still seem to be owned by Sony problem is they feel no money to be made Serial Squadron is making money on bootlegged product -- he is making a profit - he could be really great if he made deals and released legit product I would support that!
Agreed, you can see the love that he has for the classic serials but he needs to stop and go legit and stop hiding behind some shady interpretation of the copywrite laws. He wants $25 for bootlegged serial BDs...and I think he is becoming a little greedy. If he had to go legit it would cut to geep into his profit margins!!

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I bought "Spy Smasher" on blu-ray from Serial Squadron Films a while back. I already had two DVD versions and was always looking for an upgrade. I can't say the video quality on their blu-ray was any better than the DVDs I already had. The cover made for the case is excellent, but that's probably the best thing I got from the experience.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
The great irony of the Serial Squadron is that the owner spent years lecturing the members of the message boards about bootleg videos and loudly claiming VCI and Alpha were dirty pirates. This, of course, is because Alpha and VCI were competition to him. Actually, anyone who had any involvement in serials was looked upon as competition to him, even me. I shot two low budget serials in the 2000s and boy, did he ever get mad about that. There are a few Republics that are PD--the first three Zorro serials, the first Dick Tracy, Undersea Kingdom, Radar Men From the Moon, and a couple of others that I'm forgetting. But the majority of the 66 are indeed still copyrighted by Republic or owned by people/corporations that licensed properties to Republic such as Marvel with Captain America. Only two Columbias are PD, Holt of the Secret Service and The Green Archer. You can mostly tell which serials are PD by what ones Alpha put out.

In terms of adding color effects and/or music, he does that to claim a copyright on the ones that are genuinely PD like The Phantom Empire. True fans of serials don't particularly like that.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The great irony of the Serial Squadron is that the owner spent years lecturing the members of the message boards about bootleg videos and loudly claiming VCI and Alpha were dirty pirates. This, of course, is because Alpha and VCI were competition to him. Actually, anyone who had any involvement in serials was looked upon as competition to him, even me. I shot two low budget serials in the 2000s and boy, did he ever get mad about that. There are a few Republics that are PD--the first three Zorro serials, the first Dick Tracy, Undersea Kingdom, Radar Men From the Moon, and a couple of others that I'm forgetting. But the majority of the 66 are indeed still copyrighted by Republic or owned by people/corporations that licensed properties to Republic such as Marvel with Captain America. Only two Columbias are PD, Holt of the Secret Service and The Green Archer. You can mostly tell which serials are PD by what ones Alpha put out.

In terms of adding color effects and/or music, he does that to claim a copyright on the ones that are genuinely PD like The Phantom Empire. True fans of serials don't particularly like that.
VCI has the Universals - they are trying for the Flash Gordons they have been talking with Lionsgate for a year this past Summer they were going to do another conference call -- I doubt the just mentioned deal with KINO would kill that as KINO did not do well with Serials - I do know head honcho of VCI in CA this week for the big video event and he hopes to meet with them
- I wish Serial Squadron well but all he needs to do go legit

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I bought "Spy Smasher" on blu-ray from Serial Squadron Films a while back. I already had two DVD versions and was always looking for an upgrade. I can't say the video quality on their blu-ray was any better than the DVDs I already had. The cover made for the case is excellent, but that's probably the best thing I got from the experience.
I had gotton thier BD of Undersea Kingdom, because I had the DVD ffrom Alpha and just wanted to ungrade if possible. I too had the same results, great case but the product was lacking, it fact the Alpha dvd was better than the SS BD!!! Once bitten...

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I had gotton thier BD of Undersea Kingdom, because I had the DVD ffrom Alpha and just wanted to ungrade if possible. I too had the same results, great case but the product was lacking, it fact the Alpha dvd was better than the SS BD!!! Once bitten...
VCIs is very good

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
why would this title not be on VCIs site...I don't know these people? Have you bought from them?
evidently VCI stopped selling it - do not why I got mine years ago and it is great! This site is the only one left selling it maybe VCI gave them their stock? I would buy it you can always get a refund if it does not work out

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Absolutely none of these are 4k fodder.

More than half of the 4k releases thus far are neither.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks