What's new

The Phantom Creeps Serial from VCI in 2K now and maybe 4K soon?? (1 Viewer)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I am trying to get an update today - my impression is a lot of stuff was put in hold due to the pandemic example their delay on RAIN. But I think The Phantom Creeps delay is more to do with SONY and VCI trying to get the better materials from SONY could be wrong though on that.
Got this UPDATE --- “we are still trying to work out a deal with Sony to access their material. This has been hampered by the whole pandemic situation, however we have recently begun discussions again.”

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
They did have a placeholder release date, which has been removed. I’m guessing their streaming version is not great quality.
A few years back when it was first announced, I had a pre-order for it with Amazon. That order and the release were eventually canceled and the listing was pulled from Amazon all together. I suppose it's some progress that it was eventually relisted. :)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
A few years back when it was first announced, I had a pre-order for it with Amazon. That order and the release were eventually canceled and the listing was pulled from Amazon all together. I suppose it's some progress that it was eventually relisted. :)
I think with COVID and the supply chain issues, as well as aquasiotion of the best source materials to be able to produce the best edition is understandable and appreciated by us!!!

TallPaulInKy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul W Urbahns
Seems like, if Universal owns the copyright. They should be able to have Sony fill out paperwork to go to the library of congress requesting the rights to the films in their collection be reverted to them, as the licensing agreement with Screen Gems has long lapsed. Who knows what other Universal material is in the LOC and they don't know.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Seems like, if Universal owns the copyright. They should be able to have Sony fill out paperwork to go to the library of congress requesting the rights to the films in their collection be reverted to them, as the licensing agreement with Screen Gems has long lapsed. Who knows what other Universal material is in the LOC and they don't know.
Sometimes it feels like that scene in Indiana Jones where they’re wheeling a box which was the end of the year ark of the covenant into this huge voluminous warehouse who knows what beautiful and rare quality collections are housed within.

John_Simpson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John C Simpson
As far as Evil Robots go who can argue with this?
the phantom creeps robot.jpg

John_Simpson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John C Simpson
Let's also not leave out that The Phantom Creeps was the first serial to use the vertical scroll recap at the beginning of each chapter. This of course, was also later used in the Star Wars franchise.

Screenshot 2021-11-20 at 22-50-18 The Phantom Creeps 1939 Chapter 9 Speeding Doom.png
Screenshot 2021-11-20 at 22-50-18 The Phantom Creeps 1939 Chapter 9 Speeding Doom.png

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Sony owns the better quality material thru a deal with Universal Sony made to lease the serials for tv thats what the info stated. So VCI had been trying to secure the permission but the pandemic threw a monkey wrench into the process - but VCI said they have started talks again. The key is is the agreement between Sony and Universal still in play? Seems like it is.

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Sony owns the better quality material thru a deal with Universal Sony made to lease the serials for tv thats what the info stated. So VCI had been trying to secure the permission but the pandemic threw a monkey wrench into the process - but VCI said they have started talks again. The key is is the agreement between Sony and Universal still in play? Seems like it is.
What are the serials are up for grabs?

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
JUNGLE MYSTERY (1932) with Tom Tyler has been restored and was shown at the Los Angeles Cinecon Film Festival a few years back. Hopefully, VCI has this on the horizon.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Currently showing in the UK on TalkingPicturesTV as part of their Saturday Morning Pictures slot. They've also shown The Green Hornet, Flash Gordon and The Phantom Empire and many others.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Let's also not leave out that The Phantom Creeps was the first serial to use the vertical scroll recap at the beginning of each chapter. This of course, was also later used in the Star Wars franchise.
True, by an official release date of 3 months, and the “Buck Rogers” 1939 serial also used this vertical scroll the same year as “The Phantom Creeps."

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I am trying to get an update today - my impression is a lot of stuff was put in hold due to the pandemic example their delay on RAIN. But I think The Phantom Creeps delay is more to do with SONY and VCI trying to get the better materials from SONY could be wrong though on that.
that's what confused me, I'm easliy confused, LOL!!!

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I am sure this list has been posted before, but here is an alphabetical list of the Universal serial titles VCI now has rights to release. I understand the missing titles are those that rights have reverted back to the original creators or entities, such as the FLASH GORDON serials, as well as BUCK ROGERS.

ACE DRUMMOND

ADVS OF FRANK MERRIWELL

ADVS OF SMILIN JACK

ADVS OF THE FLYING CADETS

CALL OF THE SAVAGE

DON WINSLOW OF COAST GUARD

DON WINSLOW OF NAVY

FLAMING FRONTIERS

GANG BUSTERS

GORDON OF GHOST CITY

GREAT ALASKAN MYSTERY

GREEN HORNET

GREEN HORNET STRIKES AGAIN

JUNGLE JIM

JUNGLE QUEEN

JUNIOR G-MEN

JUNIOR G-MEN OF THE AIR

LOST CITY OF THE JUNGLE

MASTER KEY

MYSTERIOUS MR M

MYSTERY OF THE RIVER BOAT

OREGON TRAIL

OVERLAND MAIL

PERILS OF PAULINE

PHANTOM CREEPS

PHANTOM OF THE AIR

PHANTOM RIDER

PIRATE TREASURE

RADIO PATROL

RAIDERS OF GHOST CITY

RED BARRY

RED RIDER

RIDERS OF DEATH VALLEY

ROARING WEST

ROYAL MOUNTED RIDES AGAIN

RUSTLERS OF RED DOG

SCARLET HORSEMAN

SCOUTS TO THE RESCUE

SEA RAIDERS

SECRET AGENT X-9 1937 and 1945

SKY RAIDERS

TAILSPIN TOMMY

TAILSPIN TOMMY IN THE GREAT AIR MYSTERY

TIM TYLER'S LUCK

VANISHING SHADOW

WILD WEST DAYS

WINNERS OF THE WEST

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
I keep hoping VCI will release the rarely seen JUNGLE MYSTERY 1932 serial starring Tom Tyler.
It has been restored and was shown a few years ago at the Cinecon Film Festival in Los Angeles.

Attachments

• gettyimages-1137132584-612x612.jpg
    gettyimages-1137132584-612x612.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 50
  • MV5BODA5NjAyMDUtMThlZS00ZDgwLTk5YTgtOWFmMmFjMjIwYTQ1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTkzNTcwMzU@._V1_UY1200_CR...jpg
    MV5BODA5NjAyMDUtMThlZS00ZDgwLTk5YTgtOWFmMmFjMjIwYTQ1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTkzNTcwMzU@._V1_UY1200_CR...jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 62

TallPaulInKy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul W Urbahns
Amazon reports.. "This title will be released on December 31, 2022." and you can place Pre-Orders. But I suspect that is just a guess on someone's part.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks