What's new

The Orville - Season 1 (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Maybe I just don’t care about moral argument as much as you or as much as you think viewers do. All I want is to be entertained.
Some of the best moral argument I ever heard I wasn't aware of until I watched a piece several times. Then I realized it was the moral argument that was keeping me coming back.

If you want, tell me some of your favorite movies and if I have seen them, I'll tell you the moral arguments. If we're lucky, we'll disagree on the right one! :)

Ok fine but I still don’t think it has as much bearing on the number of watchers of Tv show as you say.
Do you have stats on that?
For years I thought THE WALKING DEAD had the best moral argument on TV. And the ratings bore my opinion out. When the moral argument went to hell in a hand basket on that show, I left. And so did a lot of others (even if they didn't know that was the reason).

Now I think GAME OF THRONES has the best moral argument on TV. And its popularity bears that out. Sure, horses and dragons help, but a lot of shows have horses and dragons and don't have the moral argument (or the ratings) that GAME OF THRONES seems to be able to wield in its sleep.

Last edited:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
- Opsadda does not come out. It grows into a parasite within the body.
The sensation is intensely pleasurable.
Mmm.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Great episode. I also read that this a remake of a Star Trek Voyager episode.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
There was one thing that was bugging me incessantly about this episode, and I finally figured it out.

Why did a society that developed teleportation technology still needed a spaceship to get to The Orville? Shouldn't they have been able to teleport onto The Orville from the planet's surface?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
That’s a nitpick that is easily explained that their transporter has limited range.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
My nitpick for these types of episodes (this and the Voyager one), is that it’s quite an amazing coincidence that our crew show up at exactly the right moment to see these civilizations advance in no time flat.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
But that’s what it’s about. The story is what happens during that specific time/event. Nothing coincidental. It’s just that story.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Plus, the world could have already gone through multiple mass extinctions and The Orville arrived just as a new intelligent species had formed on the planet.

If The Orville had stuck around a bit longer, they probably could have seen the beings evolve into pure energy before another species got ready for their evolutionary road trip.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
The planet's civilization is advancing about 23000 times faster than ours from our perspective, if the crew had arrived there a few months earlier or later they likely wouldn't have seen a thing on that planet. Still, it's just a nitpick. It's a cool idea.

I hope Isaac spent his 700 years gathering a lot of data about this alternate universe (and that planet's now-advanced technology).

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I saw it as a chance for him to return with a face! I find the character rather dull and unnerving without one.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I was two shows behind everyone here, but watched the rest of the season tonight. Gotta say first off, I love to see science in a science fiction show. It doesn't always have to be an action show to be interesting. I appreciate that this series makes a concerted effort to provide thoughtful entertainment. Maybe not always original, but I'm sure younger viewers don't mind.

The characters have evolved into a natural flow. Dialogue doesn't appear forced. Humor is as much a part of the characters and not one liners. I like the chemistry. The actors know their rolls. Penny Johnson may be my favorite this year. She brings a lot to a normally thankless part in a medical officer. Issac is well used as a friend/mentor to her sons. I hope to see more of this unconventional family dynamic next year.

The biggest weakness of Mad Idolatry was how incredibly dumb Kelly's actions and reactions were. It's annoying to watch supposedly smart characters doing dumb and legally trangressive things to move the plot along.
That is a big issue for me as I watch The Orville each week. What exactly is their mission? The Admiral mentions sending a science vessel to investigate the planet. So is Orville an exploration vessel? And if so, why don't they have better protocols for first contact? And just a little dialogue to bring up better options before you do an impulsive one would at least make us think they are all not just making it up as they go along each week. Case in point. If you encounter a planet that appears suddenly with an atmosphere, wouldn't you be afraid it would vanish just as rapidly? Maybe walking around outside your ship with no life support is a bad idea until you can be certain there will be air to breath the whole time you are outside.

But it does raise the question: If the chief of engineering is a Lt. Commander, why wasn't Newton ahead of Alara in the line of succession that time that the captain and first officer got kidnapped, given that's she's only a Lieutenant?
I wish shows that portray a command structure would hire a military advisor in addition to a science one. Even if you make one up, it still must have some logic to it. No one would remove a member of the crew, let alone a department head, without a replacement already on site. You want at least a day to do a proper turnover. And it is not the responsibility of the ship to fill that spot unless their has been a death or serious injury. It sounds like a cool "B" story, but it makes your Planetary Union look more like the Paklids, instead of the Federation.

I look forward to see what we get next year. This season had a promising ending.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
OK, I like this show quite a bit, but, I don't like how the intelligence level and basic personalities of people change to suit the writers' needs.
Kelly goes from a person a Fleet Admiral will take input from regarding assigning a Commanding Officer to a Galaxy spanning exploratory vessel, to an interfering MORON, who decides it is a good idea to wander around in the woods of an undeveloped planet...

And don't get me started on the Doctor, and John!

Could you please pick a characterization, and stick with it!

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
"You know what? There was less crap in Bortus' colon!" :lol:

Is it me, or is Yaphit starting to become likeable?

As for the episode, it was pretty decent. The main drama was secondary to the many character developments that were happening at the same time.
I just watched this New Dimensions episode and the character development plotline with John has me confused. Kelly discovers that John is smart. Did she also discover that he knows anything about the ship's engineering and had any training for that? Just because he is smart, it doesn't mean that he can jump in and lead people in a field where he has no training.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Did she also discover that he knows anything about the ship's engineering and had any training for that? Just because he is smart, it doesn't mean that he can jump in and lead people in a field where he has no training.
They seem to be following TNG in this regard too. Geordi did the same thing after the first season. He was a Lt. jg who became a Cmdr. and head of engineering.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
They seem to be following TNG in this regard too. Geordi did the same thing after the first season. He was a Lt. jg who became a Cmdr. and head of engineering.

I'm probably going to be called a bunch of names here...like nerd and dork...but oh well...

That's not entirely true. In Season 1, he was a Lieutenant junior grade and was shown at least twice in that season doing engineering-type things in Engineering. Between S1 and S2 he was promoted to a full Lieutenant and to chief of engineering. Then in S3 he was made a Lieutenant Commander.

In Season 1, he demonstrated leadership ability in "The Arsenal of Freedom," which undoubtedly helped him get the new role. Additionally, the way he and Picard met also played a part.

So he did have experience in where he was being promoted to...

I'll go back to my parent's basement now. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks