What's new

The Official HTF Cat Thread (2 Viewers)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
My neighbor friend of the furry persuasion has a little white thing that appears to be sticking out of her. Tape worm?

Would a vet give me something for her without taking her in for an examination? She's just a friend and not mine, and I'm not sure how my neighbors would respond to me striking up a conversation about this. They seem to be nice enough people, but we've never really spoken and I'm not sure how to strike up a conversation about what I saw on their cat's bottom.

I'd be willing to give her something every day, but don't know much about this stuff. My cats are indoor pets so I'm not too experienced in things like this.

Also, has anyone ever made a cat that loves the outdoors and has been free to go out for years, an in-door animal? Tapeworm or not, I want to talk to them someday just to make sure she's even theirs. She seems to be in their yard frequently, so I've just assumed it.

If she lacks a family, she's too nice of a friend to let her possibly stay out in the cold as the years go by, but I can't have one cat that's indoor/outdoor while my other three are indoor pets. She'd have to learn to like the inside if I ever have to adopt her.

Would she ever be happy?
They might actually be more upset if you self-administered medication without their knowledge/permission if it is their cat. I would first ask it that is their cat, and if so let them know about the parasite, as it is a health hazard not only to their cat but to other cats, animals, and even humans around them (particularly if the cat likes to sleep with his/her owners).

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
They might actually be more upset if you self-administered medication without their knowledge/permission if it is their cat. I would first ask it that is their cat, and if so let them know about the parasite, as it is a health hazard not only to their cat but to other cats, animals, and even humans around them (particularly if the cat likes to sleep with his/her owners).

Plus, what if they are already giving her meds? Doubling up could cause harm.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
you are cat.jpg

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I'm a cat too. However, it's probably the toxoplasmosis doing its thing (it's estimated that a third of the world's population is infected). Once all cats evolve into polydactyls and master the opposable thumb their takeover of the human race and coup to overthrow the planet will be complete! :blink: ;)

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I have named the kitty Charlie (though Harry would have been appropriate as he has turned into an escape artist). I have a barricaded area for the fosters and figured Charlie was too small to make it over. Well, he found a crevice and ended up on my floor speaker and hopped out. After I filled that crevice, he made a giant leap from a box to another box and went over my media shelf and got out. I put up a tall cardboard barrier, but he nosed his way out. So I had to move the launching pad box so he wouldn't be able to reach the taller area. I heard him scrabbling around 30 minutes ago, but hope he has given up.

The first night he was here, I felt so sorry for him because he is young and alone. So I let him sleep in my bedroom with the door open. I woke up about 4:00 to go to the bathroom and figured I would take him to the litter box area. Returned to see he had made a big poop on the blanket. Somehow, I thought he would return to the litter box in the other room which he had already used several times. Oh well. . .but I am leaving him in his area at nights now. He isn't crying as much now. I think it's much nicer to have 2 or 3 kitties to foster at once as they just love to play with each other.

P1040581_resized.jpg
P1040595_resized.jpg

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I think it's much nicer to have 2 or 3 kitties to foster at once as they just love to play with each other.

And mine certainly do that-- I think each of mine has climbed trees and bushes at least once. In fact, here's Harry in one of our tall oak trees; he was chasing a squirrel, and got stuck.

harrytree.jpg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm definitely a cat. I've long suspected that I was turning into one based on the fact that that's who I spend most of my time with. I started out as an introvert anyway, and cats are the perfect pets for introverts.
I'd love to have one, but am allergic unfortunately. The only pet I'd want, and I cannot have one. :(

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I'd love to have one, but am allergic unfortunately. The only pet I'd want, and I cannot have one. :(
I'm allergic, too, and I have 5 cats currently. I take allergy medication when needed, but eventually, I developed a tolerance to my own cats. I sometimes still have reactions to other peoples' cats, however.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Our kitty mobile home park has expanded this winter with three new homes! The Trader Joe economy model, Baby Blue single, and the extra large Family home. We are booked up solid pretty much every evening ever since it began to dip below freezing nearly every night. Each home is equipped with self-warming plush bedding and easy access to the heated water dish, plus dry food twice a day.
20181117_152447_HDR.jpg

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Our kitty mobile home park has expanded this winter with three new homes! The Trader Joe economy model, Baby Blue single, and the extra large Family home. We are booked up solid pretty much every evening ever since it began to dip below freezing nearly every night. Each home is equipped with self-warming plush bedding and easy access to the heated water dish, plus dry food twice a day.
View attachment 52050

Looks like your kitties have it made in the shade!

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I looked at a cylinder subwoofer too but when I thought about it like a cat it just looked like a premium scratching post! ;)

The cats have mostly left my speakers and subs alone. This is the first time since I owned the cylinders that he did this. Now the kitten we got last year was a holy terror for a while. Then I just left the "Fish Tank Scene" from Finding Nemo queued up. Every time he jumped up I turned it on. It wasn't loud but he really got the point. :lol:

View attachment 52050

You are awesome. Thank you! :cheers:

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian

47113-23bd5a5634ed3e25694d58c9b306c230.jpg

So, Todd, what do you do to the coolers to customize them into kitty mobile home park for the outdoor cats?

Regardless, everything you do for controlling the feral cat population in your area and then providing shelter like this for them in the winter is so commendable! :thumbs-up-smiley:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
So, Todd, what do you do to the coolers to customize them into kitty mobile home park for the outdoor cats?

Regardless, everything you do for controlling the feral cat population in your area and then providing shelter like this for them in the winter is so commendable! :thumbs-up-smiley:
Thanks! We cut a hole in one end then line the hole with duct tape, although the extra large Family home we cut holes in both ends. The flaps are made from worn flannel pajama bottoms. We used to place old towels and worn flannel pajama bottoms inside, but read recently that those can actually pull warmth away from cats and also trap moisture. We are trying some self-warming pet crate pads I found on Amazon inside the coolers this year. Our indoor cats love them, and I have even borrowed one on ocassion when working at my desk writing reviews during a cold snap, placing it on the seat of my chair, and it actually warmed me up.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, this past fall I discovered Plutarch, the male orange tabby that lives with me, was hanging out on my front lawn in the evenings with a wild rabbit. Not sure how the friendship began but each night he wanted to go out and sit on the front lawn. He would go out and lie down on the lawn and eventually his pal the bunny would show up and lie next to him. They seemed to be contemplating the stars or just enjoying a gentle fall breeze. I am not sure how or if they communicated...you know, if they spoke some common language or everything was just visual cues. They obviously enjoyed each other's company as they repeated the ritual nightly. I would assume one species could tell itself apart from another but maybe they looked at one another and thought "You're one odd looking cat!" and "You are one odd looking rabbit!"

Recently, we had our first snowfall and the rabbit has not been around. Plutarch goes out to have a look around and sniffs things looking for signs but returns to the house seeming to say "Nope, the bunny has not been here."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks