What's new

The Official Disney Movie Club Blu-ray Exclusives Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've been saying that for a long time now, it's a G rated version of insulting someone who doesn't even know they're being insulted. This way you're not saying what you really want to say and then get in trouble for saying said words.
We don't allow insulting people here so please stop it as I find such comments offensive whether you're talking about people here or somewhere else.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
After the post-production desecration of Bedknobs and Broomsticks for a third time after putting back most of what they censored*, Disney has forfeited the benefit of the doubt on any other aspect of their business. That wasn't the only thing, just the straw that broke the camel's back. If anyone's moving any kind of goalposts, it's not anyone here; it's Disney.

As for whether home video alone is enough to make the difference between profit and loss, that's debatable. They first formed a home video division in 1978 to make a deal with Discovision. They started releasing them themselves in 1980, but that still wasn't enough to erase the bad decisions of the last two decades. It was only after the change of management and the heavy hitters coming out that the division became a profit center. Times and technology have changed, but back then there was more of a sense that they actually cared what consumers wanted. They have the facts and statistics at hand about what sells, but they don't always come to the right conclusion. When they put effort into their work, people respond positively. When they cut corners, people get upset. Disney sets high standards for themselves and fans expect them to live up to them.

So is this what we can expect for our favorite films in the future: to be available on Disney+ exclusively, at least in the latest HD/4k remasters? I don't think that's the case necessarily. The music division doesn't seem to think so; they got back into vinyl, for Pete's sake!

*Yes, I dare call it censorship when it includes most of Roddy McDowall's part and instances of same-sex touch dancing on Portobello Road.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
You keep moving the goal posts.

Disney+ is the most affordably priced premium subscription service to ever be offered to a mass audience. It’s $7 a month or $70 for the year. Users can sign up for month to month service and cancel at any time, or they can sign up for a full year and save $14 over the regular monthly cost.

A brand new disc of a Disney film costs around $25.

A single ticket to see a new Disney film in theaters can run from $10 to over $25, depending on where you live. A yearly subscription to Disney+ will cost most families less than a single night at the movies would cost them. How mind blowing is that? The cost of taking your family to see Dumbo in theaters once will pay for an entire year of Disney+.

$25 for one copy of one movie vs $7 a month for unlimited access to over 500 movies and over 3000 television episodes.

Obviously, we all have our own priorities for how we want to spend our money. But Disney+ is clearly being priced at a level far below that of a luxury product. It’s meant to be an affordable price that most people can pay. And frankly, the people who can’t afford to spend $7 for Disney+ already can’t afford to spend $25 for a single disc.

That this product has no appeal to you personally doesn’t change the fact that it will be enormously appealing to a huge number of consumers.
To add support for your statements...

I generally have no interest in streaming services. This one is different. The price is "right" and what they'll have available is quite attractive. I'm also a grandparent with 6 grandkids (ages 2.5 to 15), 5 of whom are absolutely the audience for much of Disney's animated product. For the current price I can see me subscribing just for those times one, or more, of them are at the house and want to watch something Disney. With this I don't have to get the disc, set up the player, and get them going. More importantly I don't have to worry about what they might do to, or with, a disc once the movie's finished.

If other services offered similar product at this price I'd likely go all-in with several and tell my wife it's this or nothing as I'm disconnecting her cable.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'll also comment on the DMC exclusives. I really don't like them and find the practice annoying. In spite of that I've joined the club several times so I could purchase one, or more, from *Disney* and not have to resort to 3rd parties selling used copies at roughly MSRP for a copy. I don't dislike Disney for doing this as it's just business. Business that drives sales and encourages joining the club. I simply don't purchase Disney titles otherwise and save them for when I do the occasional club cycle. The *only* exceptions have been those titles that go in the Vault but those no longer matter as I own copies of all of that group that I care to own. The best part of the club is the average price for those titles purchased from the club is less than I'd have paid for used copies just about anywhere else (just as long as you join, fulfill, and quit).

I come to this thread to see if there're any new exclusives I might like to own (always hopeful for 20,000 Leagues under the Sea). Once there are enough, I'll join. Again.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
We don't allow insulting people here so please stop it as I find such comments offensive whether you're talking about people here or somewhere else.
I'm going to defend Andrew, even though I vehemently disagree with nearly everything he has posted here in the last day. I believe the forum rules are no personal attacks, and and name-calling is mentioned under the personal attacks clause. Calling the crowds at Disney World uncultured swine is in no way a personal attack. Disparaging remarks against people who are not forum members has always been allowed, for example poor Gary Barber has been through the ringer here on the boards.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I wouldn’t call them uncultured swine but people with a lot of patience! Especially the it’s a small world ride line.

There aren't enough epithets in the world to express my contempt for that ride. If they closed that down, I wouldn't shed one damn tear. Instead, it's everything else left that was put in while Walt was alive that they seem to have a problem with.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm going to defend Andrew, even though I vehemently disagree with nearly everything he has posted here in the last day. I believe the forum rules are no personal attacks, and and name-calling is mentioned under the personal attacks clause. Calling the crowds at Disney World uncultured swine is in no way a personal attack. Disparaging remarks against people who are not forum members has always been allowed, for example poor Gary Barber has been through the ringer here on the boards.
I requested that he stop using that term about people which dehumanizes them because they don't share his cultural views about Disney. I'm tired of the name-calling as it achieves nothing and people on this forum have taken it personally. I think I'm in my rights as a forum moderator to make such a request as people are clearly offended here as that post has been reported to the moderator staff and has been challenged in this thread. Furthermore, I'm offended by that term. This isn't a venue where you can post anything you please just because it's not in our forum guidelines.

If anybody else wants to continue to discuss then PM me.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm a Dis Nerd and know what I'd be very interested in if they ever decided to release it? A disc of all the official parades and/or nighttime spectaculars that aren't around anymore. Separate it by decade or park or whatever else...but I have to believe the assets are in a vault somewhere and a release through DMC would get some interest.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The Porcine-American community, which Disney has gone out of its way to depict in a positive light, deserves better.

Three-Little-Pigs-1933-1.jpg

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I wouldn’t call them uncultured swine but people with a lot of patience! Especially the it’s a small world ride line.
Yep... especially so if you have young(er) kids with you.
There aren't enough epithets in the world to express my contempt for that ride. If they closed that down, I wouldn't shed one damn tear. Instead, it's everything else left that was put in while Walt was alive that they seem to have a problem with.
After standing in line for that one with my kids (ages 6 and 8 at the time) for almost 2(!?!) hours to ride that slightly upscaled version of a carnival ride with even worse music I feel more for the Cast Members who have to work it than those who choose to ride. At least most of the people in line choose to be there (I did not - we let the kids select rides they *had* to ride and my daughter chose that one. I've never let her forget it). I've never been so tired of hearing a song in my life! Just thinking of that ride puts the monster back in my head and it's been over 30 years since we took them.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Can we get back to releases from DMC and not harp on the side convo from earlier this week?

I wish there were more and better releases to get back to. So does everybody else. But Disney has other priorities.

I wonder whether any future back catalog disc releases will be from third-party independent distributors. Paramount, MGM, Universal, and Columbia all do it, and Fox was doing it right before the buyout. They already do it with the Touchstone/Hollywood stuff, and they did it before with Anchor Bay, so who's to say they won't do it again? That way the titles get released and someone else bears the cost of actually making discs. Shout! got their hands on Gravity Falls, and I imagine they'll want more from them if that sells.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure

Are you talking about The Great Movie Ride or different ride? if so Why?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Read the quote above the post you are quoting. But now that you mentioned it, yes it does very much make me sick to my stomach that the Sherman Brothers' two worst works, both created in 1964, are their most popular ones. They spent the rest of their careers creating the antidotes to their own poison.

tumblr_m72yxzrNvb1qm6oc3o1_500.gif

Yep... especially so if you have young(er) kids with you.

After standing in line for that one with my kids (ages 6 and 8 at the time) for almost 2(!?!) hours to ride that slightly upscaled version of a carnival ride with even worse music I feel more for the Cast Members who have to work it than those who choose to ride. At least most of the people in line choose to be there (I did not - we let the kids select rides they *had* to ride and my daughter chose that one. I've never let her forget it). I've never been so tired of hearing a song in my life! Just thinking of that ride puts the monster back in my head and it's been over 30 years since we took them.

You have my deepest sympathies. Give me Pirates, Tiki Room, Space Moutain, Splash Mountain, Dumbo, or the Matterhorn any day, or even Alice's teacups which at least require you to actually do something.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks