1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We will be interviewing Criterion soon. Click here for details on how you can submit a question for us to ask.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Disney Movie Club Blu-ray Exclusives Thread

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Mark-P, Aug 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    We don't allow insulting people here so please stop it as I find such comments offensive whether you're talking about people here or somewhere else.

2. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    After the post-production desecration of Bedknobs and Broomsticks for a third time after putting back most of what they censored*, Disney has forfeited the benefit of the doubt on any other aspect of their business. That wasn't the only thing, just the straw that broke the camel's back. If anyone's moving any kind of goalposts, it's not anyone here; it's Disney.

As for whether home video alone is enough to make the difference between profit and loss, that's debatable. They first formed a home video division in 1978 to make a deal with Discovision. They started releasing them themselves in 1980, but that still wasn't enough to erase the bad decisions of the last two decades. It was only after the change of management and the heavy hitters coming out that the division became a profit center. Times and technology have changed, but back then there was more of a sense that they actually cared what consumers wanted. They have the facts and statistics at hand about what sells, but they don't always come to the right conclusion. When they put effort into their work, people respond positively. When they cut corners, people get upset. Disney sets high standards for themselves and fans expect them to live up to them.

So is this what we can expect for our favorite films in the future: to be available on Disney+ exclusively, at least in the latest HD/4k remasters? I don't think that's the case necessarily. The music division doesn't seem to think so; they got back into vinyl, for Pete's sake!

*Yes, I dare call it censorship when it includes most of Roddy McDowall's part and instances of same-sex touch dancing on Portobello Road.

darkrock17 likes this.
  3. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    To add support for your statements...

I generally have no interest in streaming services. This one is different. The price is "right" and what they'll have available is quite attractive. I'm also a grandparent with 6 grandkids (ages 2.5 to 15), 5 of whom are absolutely the audience for much of Disney's animated product. For the current price I can see me subscribing just for those times one, or more, of them are at the house and want to watch something Disney. With this I don't have to get the disc, set up the player, and get them going. More importantly I don't have to worry about what they might do to, or with, a disc once the movie's finished.

If other services offered similar product at this price I'd likely go all-in with several and tell my wife it's this or nothing as I'm disconnecting her cable.

Darby67 and Josh Steinberg like this.
  4. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I'll also comment on the DMC exclusives. I really don't like them and find the practice annoying. In spite of that I've joined the club several times so I could purchase one, or more, from *Disney* and not have to resort to 3rd parties selling used copies at roughly MSRP for a copy. I don't dislike Disney for doing this as it's just business. Business that drives sales and encourages joining the club. I simply don't purchase Disney titles otherwise and save them for when I do the occasional club cycle. The *only* exceptions have been those titles that go in the Vault but those no longer matter as I own copies of all of that group that I care to own. The best part of the club is the average price for those titles purchased from the club is less than I'd have paid for used copies just about anywhere else (just as long as you join, fulfill, and quit).

I come to this thread to see if there're any new exclusives I might like to own (always hopeful for 20,000 Leagues under the Sea). Once there are enough, I'll join. Again.

Darby67 and holtge like this.
  5. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    I'm going to defend Andrew, even though I vehemently disagree with nearly everything he has posted here in the last day. I believe the forum rules are no personal attacks, and and name-calling is mentioned under the personal attacks clause. Calling the crowds at Disney World uncultured swine is in no way a personal attack. Disparaging remarks against people who are not forum members has always been allowed, for example poor Gary Barber has been through the ringer here on the boards.

6. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    I go to Disney World and I belong to this form. In fact I’m staying at the resort this very second. I do not consider myself uncultured swine.

7. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Well, I can't help it if people don't know what a generalization is. ;)

8. Message #1228 of 1292 Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Jealous! I haven't been since '17 and I miss it!

ahollis likes this.
  9. skylark68

skylark68 Screenwriter

Timothy
    I wouldn’t call them uncultured swine but people with a lot of patience! Especially the it’s a small world ride line.

10. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    I’m not a generalization either.

Robert Crawford likes this.
  11. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    There aren't enough epithets in the world to express my contempt for that ride. If they closed that down, I wouldn't shed one damn tear. Instead, it's everything else left that was put in while Walt was alive that they seem to have a problem with.

BobO'Link and skylark68 like this.
  12. Message #1232 of 1292 Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I requested that he stop using that term about people which dehumanizes them because they don't share his cultural views about Disney. I'm tired of the name-calling as it achieves nothing and people on this forum have taken it personally. I think I'm in my rights as a forum moderator to make such a request as people are clearly offended here as that post has been reported to the moderator staff and has been challenged in this thread. Furthermore, I'm offended by that term. This isn't a venue where you can post anything you please just because it's not in our forum guidelines.

If anybody else wants to continue to discuss then PM me.

13. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    I'm a Dis Nerd and know what I'd be very interested in if they ever decided to release it? A disc of all the official parades and/or nighttime spectaculars that aren't around anymore. Separate it by decade or park or whatever else...but I have to believe the assets are in a vault somewhere and a release through DMC would get some interest.

14. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    The Porcine-American community, which Disney has gone out of its way to depict in a positive light, deserves better.

[​IMG]

15. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Yep... especially so if you have young(er) kids with you.
    After standing in line for that one with my kids (ages 6 and 8 at the time) for almost 2(!?!) hours to ride that slightly upscaled version of a carnival ride with even worse music I feel more for the Cast Members who have to work it than those who choose to ride. At least most of the people in line choose to be there (I did not - we let the kids select rides they *had* to ride and my daughter chose that one. I've never let her forget it). I've never been so tired of hearing a song in my life! Just thinking of that ride puts the monster back in my head and it's been over 30 years since we took them.

MatthewA likes this.
  16. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Can we get back to releases from DMC and not harp on the side convo from earlier this week?

17. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I wish there were more and better releases to get back to. So does everybody else. But Disney has other priorities.

I wonder whether any future back catalog disc releases will be from third-party independent distributors. Paramount, MGM, Universal, and Columbia all do it, and Fox was doing it right before the buyout. They already do it with the Touchstone/Hollywood stuff, and they did it before with Anchor Bay, so who's to say they won't do it again? That way the titles get released and someone else bears the cost of actually making discs. Shout! got their hands on Gravity Falls, and I imagine they'll want more from them if that sells.

18. darkrock17

darkrock17 Screenwriter

Andrew McClure
    Are you talking about The Great Movie Ride or different ride? if so Why?

19. Message #1239 of 1292 Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Read the quote above the post you are quoting. But now that you mentioned it, yes it does very much make me sick to my stomach that the Sherman Brothers' two worst works, both created in 1964, are their most popular ones. They spent the rest of their careers creating the antidotes to their own poison.

[​IMG]

You have my deepest sympathies. Give me Pirates, Tiki Room, Space Moutain, Splash Mountain, Dumbo, or the Matterhorn any day, or even Alice's teacups which at least require you to actually do something.

holtge likes this.
  20. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I agree with Jason. I'm not sure what the last several posts have to do with the Disney Movie Club exclusives line, which is what the primary focus of this thread is intended to be.