What's new

The Official Disney Movie Club Blu-ray Exclusives Thread (1 Viewer)

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
For lossless, it could cost if they released as DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD like most do, but if they released as PCM (which all blu-ray players are mandated to support) then it would be free. For some reason hardly any companies ever release using PCM (I have no idea why) but it's the free option for them. Lossless does take up a little bit of disc space but for a 1.0 or 2.0 track it would be like 1-1.5GB, which is usually very workable even for a BD-25 like DMC usually uses. Since I'm sure they have the audio in a lossless source file of some form, they could have easily just slapped that as PCM on the disc - probably as easy or easier than doing what they did.

Totally agree about the PCM - why is it not used more? And I believe it can support multitrack as well.

chrislong2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Totally agree about the PCM - why is it not used more? And I believe it can support multitrack as well.
Yeah it can. PCM isn't as efficient space wise - in other words it takes up more space than Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA (while all are lossless, the TrueHD or DTS-HD MA are kinda like a ZIP file for audio where PCM is just the file uncompressed). But since a lot (I'd even go so far as to say the majority) of blu-ray discs don't use all their space potential on the disc anyway, I really don't see why for the vast majority of them they couldn't be PCM instead. And when talking about only a mono or stereo track the size difference wouldn't be near as much anyway as compared to 5.1 or 7.1. And the companies wouldn't have any licensing cost for PCM like they do for the others.

When Blu-ray was brand new on the scene, some of the initial wave of Blu discs did use PCM. For instance, the Disney Narnia: Lion, the Witch & The Wardrobe disc used 5.1 PCM. Then for awhile companies kind of either went into the TrueHD or DTS-HD MA camp and it was either one or the other. Then somewhere along the way, Dolby TrueHD took a backseat and the DTS variant seemed to be (and still is) much more common as far as I can see. Every so often you see a newer disc with PCM but it's really rare and usually by a more unknown distributor/company.

My personal theory as to why it hasn't been used more is that it maybe has to with the longstanding relationships the distributors have had with Dolby and DTS, that they felt they needed to use those to keep up those relationships. Or maybe Dolby or DTS required it in order for companies to continue releasing Dolby Digital or DTS tracks in other means (i.e. DVD where either DD or DTS is almost 100% usage) that they made them agree to using TrueHD or DTS-HD MA too. I could see something like that happening. I have no idea, but have always wondered.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I would Love to see Disney Movie Club release Kidnapped (1960) next or this year. I have the Digital in 1:66.1 and it looks Great. The Bluray will look even Better like this New Darby O' Gill release ! :D
aa Kidnapped-1960-film-images-5e8905f2-56ef-4a24-aecf-fb1464f0fda.jpg
aa Kidnapped-Disney-2.jpg

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I would Love to see Disney Movie Club release Kidnapped (1960) next or this year. I have the Digital in 1:66.1 and it looks Great. The Bluray will look even Better like this New Darby O' Gill release ! :D View attachment 131473 View attachment 131474
I've got the DVD, a BRD if done right could be a game changer. Another sereies I'd love to see in BRD is Swamp Fox with Leslie Neilson!!! I bought ther steelbook yrs ago -

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 32
  • walt-disney-treasures---elfego-baca-and-the-swamp-fox-legend-55ca141117775.jpg
    walt-disney-treasures---elfego-baca-and-the-swamp-fox-legend-55ca141117775.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 32

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I got my Darby O' Gill Bluray Today ! :D :emoji_shamrock: View attachment 131193 View attachment 131194
Ohhhhhhh noooooooo RUMORS that Disney might yank Darby O'Gill and the Little People ---- KIng Brian sent a letter to the new Disney CEO and although praising Disney for using the term "Little People" not the word "midgets" decades ago he is upset the billing should have been "The Little People and Darby O'Gill" King Brian is not happy and wants the billing changed or the disc pulled!

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
Has anyone who's received their Darby disc been able to verify with version of the soundtrack it is, with the original or rerecorded dialogue?

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Has anyone who's received their Darby disc been able to verify with version of the soundtrack it is, with the original or rerecorded dialogue?
Thought someone posted its the original soundtrack.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I've got the DVD, a BRD if done right could be a game changer. Another sereies I'd love to see in BRD is Swamp Fox with Leslie Neilson!!! I bought ther steelbook yrs ago -
I'd like to see Swamp Fox too, although hopefully, they could release it as a Complete Series. The prior release was only selected episodes I think.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Haven't dragged this list out in a while...so let me blow the dust off it first! :D

I would love to see the following series from the Disneyland anthology show (in its various incarnations) released either on disc or streaming:

• The Tales of Texas John Slaughter starring Tom Tryon (the complete series of 17 episodes)
  • Daniel Boone starring Dewey Martin (the complete series of 4 episode)
  • The Nine Lives of Elfego Baca starring Robert Loggia (the complete series of 10 episodes; 3 episodes were released on Walt Disney Treasures: Legendary Heroes)
  • The Swamp Fox starring Leslie Nielsen (the complete series of 8 episodes; 3 episodes were released on Walt Disney Treasures: Legendary Heroes)
  • The Saga of Andy Burnett starring Jerome Courtland (the complete series of 6 episode)
  • The New Adventures of Davy Crockett starring Tim Dunigan (the complete series of 5 episodes)
  • The Prince and the Pauper starrring Sean Scully and Guy Williams (the three 50-minute television episodes from the Disneyland TV show titled The Pauper King, The Merciful Law of the King, and Long Live the Rightful King)
  • Gallegher starring Roger Mobley (3 episodes); The Further Adventures of Gallegher (3 episodes); Gallegher Goes West (4 episodes); and The Mystery of Edward Sims (2 episodes)
  • Willie and the Yank (Mosby’s Marauders) (three 50-minute television episodes from the Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color TV show titled The Deserter, The Mosby Raiders, and The Matchmaker)
  • Zorro and Son starring Henry Darrow as Don Diego de la Vega/Zorro, Sr. and Paul Regina as Don Carlos de la Vega/Zorro, Jr.(the complete series of 5 episodes)

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I'd like to see Swamp Fox too, although hopefully, they could release it as a Complete Series. The prior release was only selected episodes I think.
Me too, here are the 8 episodes that aired: the only ones in the boxset from Disney are episodes 1-3...
Episode #TitleOriginal Airdate
1"The Birth of the Swamp Fox"October 23, 1959[1]
2"Brother Against Brother"October 30, 1959
3"Tory Vengeance"January 1, 1960
4"Day of Reckoning"January 8, 1960
5"Redcoat Strategy"January 15, 1960
6"A Case of Treason"January 22, 1960
7"A Woman's Courage"January 8, 1961
8"Horses for Greene"January 15, 1961

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks