What's new

The Official Disney Movie Club Blu-ray Exclusives Thread (2 Viewers)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Look, I’d like to own Song of the South as much as the rest of this group of enthusiasts, but this is a thread about Disney Movie Club exclusive releases, and right now, that does not describe Song of the South.

The only thing continuing to bring it up in this thread accomplishes is making it harder for people who are interested in buying or talking about actual Disney Movie Club exclusive releases to do so.

That’s my point. There have been plenty of other threads dedicated solely to Song of the South - let’s use one of those threads rather than taking this one further off topic.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
How do you think Andrew Garfield and Toby Maguire's appearances in Spider Man: No Way Home was kept secret as long as they did?
Aside from Josh's point about the leaks, No Way Home is not even a Disney film. It was produced and distributed by Sony Pictures. Marvel, which is a semi-autonomous subsidiary of Disney, co-produced it. But the executives at the top of Disney had nothing to do with the decisions on that film. Sony's executives did. And none of this bears any relationship to either Song of the South or Disney Movie Club exclusive releases.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sort of new exclusives

Re-release 2 Movie Collections -- no real info, but seems to be mostly new covers/slipcovers and added Digital Copies

$24.95 EA --
"Emperor's New Goove/Kronk's New Groove" or "Rescuers/Rescuers Down Under"
2330930.jpg
2330940.jpg

Not and exclusive, but rather important news to many
BEATLES GET BACK also has been changed from TBA to RELEASE DATE 7/12/2022

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Rescuers and Down Under being paired together works for me because both of them are from Walt Disney Animation Studios. But for New Groove, I'd much rather have a re-release of the original film that drops the inane cheapquel than adds digital copies. I hate these type of releases where I have to accept cheapquels I don't like into my collection in order to get the original.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
The first release of The Rescuers/Down Under wasn't great, but I did like the cover they created by mixing both films together.

This new re-release is just reusing the 1989 re-release poster.

1652766134294.png

1652766412380.png

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The first release of The Rescuers/Down Under wasn't great
I'd be shocked if this is actually a new release. It's probably just the same disc in new packaging.

This new re-release is just reusing the 1989 re-release poster.
To their credit, using the poster is a lot better than most Disney films get.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I'd be shocked if this is actually a new release. It's probably just the same disc in new packaging.

This year is the 45th Anniversary of the original film, but I too doubt it's going to be anything but the same discs from 2012.

To their credit, using the poster is a lot better than most Disney films get.

I can give Disney some props for that, but most likely wont be a recurring thing though.

Kent K H

Second Unit
I think Down Under is absolutely one of the instances of a sequel being better than the original. I don't recall The Rescuers faring too well on blu, but that seemed to be the case for the majority of that era of xeroxed "sketchy" art-styled films, which did not fare well with their transfer process.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
I was never a fan of the Xerox sketchy animation era at Disney and neither was Walt Disney. It was all about economics, and to look respectable, the films even required a line drawing to be laid over the painted backgrounds so the sketchy animation could fit believably in a sketchy hand drawn world.
The worst example for me was Aristocats where cat fur and the old lady's feather boa were so "alive" they actually become "characters" competing for attention.
Sleeping Beauty used some very restrained Xerox cels as did the much later Little Mermaid. The restraint in it's application allowed character emotions to be free from competing with the animator's drawings skills.
To me only Jungle Book was able to keep the Xerox look in check, while 101 Dalmatians does seem to work because of the very artfully sketchy backgrounds.
I know it is a generational thing, and those who grew up with the Xerox films love them like I enjoy Disney animation that preceded and later followed.
As for the Xerox era Blu rays, I'm in the minority that likes the smoothing effect for the reasons expressed above, but I'm fully aware that this is a controversial minority opinion!

Kent K H

Second Unit
I was never a fan of the Xerox sketchy animation era at Disney and neither was Walt Disney. It was all about economics, and to look respectable, the films even required a line drawing to be laid over the painted backgrounds so the sketchy animation could fit believably in a sketchy hand drawn world.
The worst example for me was Aristocats where cat fur and the old lady's feather boa were so "alive" they actually become "characters" competing for attention.
Sleeping Beauty used some very restrained Xerox cels as did the much later Little Mermaid. The restraint in it's application allowed character emotions to be free from competing with the animator's drawings skills.
To me only Jungle Book was able to keep the Xerox look in check, while 101 Dalmatians does seem to work because of the very artfully sketchy backgrounds.
I know it is a generational thing, and those who grew up with the Xerox films love them like I enjoy Disney animation that preceded and later followed.
As for the Xerox era Blu rays, I'm in the minority that likes the smoothing effect for the reasons expressed above, but I'm fully aware that this is a controversial minority opinion!
I grew up in that era, seeing rereleases of them growing up in the very late 70s and into the early 80s. My first movie memories are seeing Song of the South in what was probably its last rerelease, and Robin Hood at the local drive-in that closed down soon after. Even as a kid, I always thought they looked strange, but mostly I just didn't think they (Aristocats, Rescuers, etc.) were as good as a lot of the other films. I think history has borne out my opinion on that. Admittedly, I was a big fan of Great Mouse Detective, but I consider that the first step in getting the Mouse back on track, with Roger Rabbit and Little Mermaid being the huge leaps that finished the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamargparrish
Recent bookmarks