What's new

The Office season 5 (1 Viewer)

Joe_H

Screenwriter

Agreed with regards to the rape comment, but like above, Pam's excitement over that's what she said was my favorite part of the episode.

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Ringkor
Best line belonged to Darryl. "He's not engaged. I was there. I haven't been big on therapy, but I'll go into my own pocket for his copay."

I loved the practice sales call between Dwight and Jim, moderated by Michael. I loved how worked up Dwight got, and then when he handed the phone over to Michael and Jim said he'd like to buy $1,000,000 worth of paper products, Dwight pumped his fist like they'd made an actual sale. And I loved Michael covering the phone mouthpiece to talk to Dwight in private about it.

And Pam's "That's what she said! That's what she said!" was great too. :)

The sly grin on Angela's face when Andy was working a deal with Dwight to hold their wedding at Schrute Farms was priceless. And was one of the sample wedding photos that Dwight showed taken in a graveyard? Poor Andy thinks he got a good deal.

How long before you can order a personalized mug from Kelly's party with your face on it from nbc.com?

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Ringkor
And Michael's phone call to tell his mother he was getting married. "Mom, how come you never believe me when I'm getting married?" "Are you getting married." [Pause] "No."

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i don't know how the writers are going to handle Andy and Angela's wedding. if it had been earlier in the series, i'd have had no problem with Angela stabbing Andy in the back. but since then, Andy has kind of become endearing and less annoying. it'll be sad if/when he gets his heart broken.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
The scene with Jim and Dwight's "phone call" was just as funny as when Jim moved Dwight's desk into the bathroom and called him.

I agree that Pam's enjoyment over getting a TWSS line was adorable. Oh Jenna Fischer, why must you do that to me?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I'm glad that the writers didn't turn the scene between Pam and What's his name from Mad Men into a revealing of feelings that I was afraid it was going to be. Smart writers they are.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Still annoyed by all the relationship drama. There's just TOO MUCH right now. And Pam / Jim haven't had the sorts of talks that Harry-from-Mad-Men had within such a short time of knowing Pam? Really, writers? They spent years trying to get together, and they still can't communicate about those issues?

My favorite part of the episode was the fake sales call... absolute gold. This is "The Office" at its best.

Last week's episode, with the trip to Holly's new place, was just not very funny, though it had some well-acted dramatic moments. It felt like a forty-minute episode cut to fit time - it just seemed to sort of meander. Dwight and Andy's "being each other" was kind of funny, but way too reminiscient of Dwight and Jim's "switch" from last season. Andy's "beet farmer" at the end of the episode was also funny, but also too zany, too cartoony, for my tastes.

Cal S

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, in a past episode Dwight said...

"The Schrutes have their own traditions. We usually marry standing in our own graves. Makes the funerals very romantic. But the weddings are a bleak affair."

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
No opinions about this week's episode? (Michael goes to Canada!) I don't know how to feel when the dramatic moments outweigh the moments of comedy. I respect the drama - Michael's breakfast shut-out was kind of heartbreaking, and I liked the Oscar/Andy interaction - but Creed's creepy behavior towards Jim was the only laugh-out-loud moment for me.

It's not that I just want laughs (I really don't), but these out-of-office episodes highlight how "The Office" is starting to be written (and shot) more like a sitcom-without-a-laugh-track than a satire, with emphasis on typical sitcom relationship angst.

Poor Jim and Pam. Poor Andy. Poor Michael. Poor Ryan (but we're supposed to be glad about that one). These sad relationship stories are the center of the series now... rather than using these relationships as accents (good moments) inside more ingenius plots, they ARE the plots. "Will they end up together? Will they be happy together?"

I guess I expect more out of "The Office". The microwave plot next week sounds pretty funny... we'll see.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
That's my big complaint with the show nowadays. Except for a goofy subplot every three or four episodes, the only characters that get airtime are the ones involved in relationships with each other. The glory days of this show are long gone; the realism that made it so much fun for the first two seasons vanished by season 3. It's still worth watching but the way the relationships dominate the show nowadays, it's more like a soap opera with jokes. They've even started to cut down on the talking heads.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
Opinion: I thought it was funny that while they were in Canada (was it Winnipeg?), Michael kept inserting French words as if he thought all of Canada was like the province of Quebec.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
and he brought Andy as his translator.:laugh:

oh and Andy "hey, you guys like apples? How d'ya like dem apples?" as he presents the drinks when playing wingman to Oscar.:emoji_thumbsup:

Louis C

Supporting Actor
My wife commented about the last episode in season four, when Holly was explaining to Michael that Andy had proposed to "one of your accountants."

Michael said it "has to be Angela, or maybe Oscar." Now fast forward to Andy and Oscar chumming it up in Canada. Hmmm.

Also...maybe I'm stating the obvious, but did anyone hear Dwight's "Who is that, Monkey?" when drunken Andy called Angela from Canada??

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Well, that's two very disappointing episodes in a row for me now. It's kinda like what happened at the beginning of last season when it looked like the show had run out of good ideas. I have no doubts that the writers will come up with some funny stuff this season, but right now it seems like they're in a comedic rut as the last couple episodes have been very light on the laughs. :frowning:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I can't really argue but I did have a good laugh at Creed's relief that the police weren't there for him.
I also liked Dwight reference to all the illegal activities on The Shield.

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I am invested in the emotional stories of the characters (especially Pam and Jim). However this year, the majority of the moments that I remember or think were the best are the relationship scenes but the 'problem' is that the show is a comedy so they should be racking up more laughs than good dramatic moments.

EDIT: If I had a house like Jim's, I would never change any of that stuff.

Joe_H

Screenwriter

Agreed. Though I was again concerned at the end that there would be a fight for some reason, until he opened up the garage, then I knew things would be fine.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I actually enjoyed this episode more than any in a while. Having Toby back as Michael's antagonist just makes the show better IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks