The Office season 5

JohnS

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Don't forget Merdith's line about two guys fighting over here.

"I've had two guys fight over me before. Usually it's over who gets to hold the camcorder."

Mr. Film

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Keegan
Good show. Not great but good. But it can't compete with a lot of other good shows on today.

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Real Name
Cameron Yee
So is all that stuff on the cars supposed to be snow?

That Hilary Swank debate sounded not unlike discussions here about Jenna Fischer.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
Yesterdays episode was awesome. The Swank debate was one of the funniest things on the show this season. I like how everyone prepares an argument. Then Micheal walks by and utters the line about how hot she is...and seeing everyone's reactions. I also like the duct tape bumper...that was great.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I liked the parts of the episode that took place in The Office, but Michael and Dwight's little field trip traveled into that uncomfortable, awkward kind of storytelling they do on the show ("The Dinner Party" is another similar episode that comes to mind, in terms of awkwardness)... I'm sure that was probably part of the intention to make the audience uncomfortable at Michael and Dwight's actions, and I don't know why, but I just wasn't really able to enjoy those parts.

(Maybe it'll play better whenever I end up seeing it again, probably on the eventual DVD)

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I thought it was pretty subpar last night actually. The Hillary Swank discussion just didn't make me laugh and neither did the trip. Also, I think similarly to the above poster I'd have felt better about the ending had Michael ended up winning and not told Wallace about the information.

SDRANGER619

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edgar
IMO last night's episode was a let down compared to the one before that...the change of pace was too much.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
Yeah, the only laugh out loud part we found was at the very end where we hear Michael say Hilary Swank is hot.

AnthonyC

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
The show has gradually gotten weaker over time (although this season is a slight improvement over season 4's "It's gettin' wacky!" approach) and yeah, last night was pretty bad for Office standards. The thing is, both plots had a lot of potential yet they just fell flat, especially the Hillary Swank one. Not that I'm a big Amy Poehler fan in the first place, but I hope that the fact that her show is going to be run at the same time by the same creative team (from what I understand) doesn't destroy both shows.

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised the season one fans didn't love last night's episode. The Prince Paper Company was just the sort of uncomfortable storyline the first season was known for.

My favorite part of the episode was when Jim looks out the window to see Dwight climbing up the telephone pole: "He'll be fine; after all, I made it up there okay." It's always stood out to me about Jim's ridiculously complex pranks against Dwight require just as much work on Jim's part as they do on Dwight's... more, usually.

Brent M

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member

Same here. I didn't care for either plotline and thought the episode was just really weak all around....hardly any laughs at all.

As much as I hate to say it, I think it's pretty obvious at this point that the show will never again match the brilliance it had the first couple of seasons. I'll keep watching because it still has some funny moments from time to time, but I'm afraid its' best days have come and gone.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
As a big fan of this series, I hate to (but have to) agree with with those disappointed in this show lately. I'm surprised the episode was written by BJ Novak, because he's written some of the best episodes in the show's history.

Steve Carrell again deserves awards for his portrayal of a man torn between sweet and moronic, but the "Swank" discussion didn't elicit one laugh from me - it was at best a small discussion to place in a small corner of the episode, not one half! When Michael was running around with the list in his hand, and Dwight was chasing him screaming, I thought to myself: "Great, another wacky episode with people running around screaming."

I don't agree that the Prince Paper section felt like Season 1. It felt like another "field trip" outing, which have been so popular since last season. Still, it was my favorite part of the episode. This whole "Michael as golden boy" plot-line is kind of interesting, actually... it's just not funny yet.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I have to agree, this last episode was a let down,I felt they could have done so much more with the road trip to Prince Paper and the Hillary Swank thing was just ridiculous,what a waste of half an episode. I thought maybe there would be some time spent on the Andy, Angela and Dwight snafu, maybe the writers will approach that one on another episode.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
That was probably the worst guest appearance I've ever seen, that whole thing felt like useless filler. Other than that, the first three quarters of the episode up until the roast was hilarious, with in my opinion the funniest opening of any episode.

The roast itself was really disappointing, because that could've been great, and from then on it really wasn't as good. That being said, it definitely made up for the subpar Prince Paper episode.

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
The first half was a scream, slapstick "Office" at its absolute best. The second half was much more subtle, the emotional threads of Pam's parents and Michael's self-esteem. I don't think the roast was supposed to be laugh out loud funny.

Brent M

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Well, after being very critical of the show this season, I have to say I enjoyed that episode more than any in a very long time. The first half, as Adam said, was the show at its best. The craziness that ensued during the fire drill was priceless. Also, Dwight stabbing the safety dummy and then wearing its face like Hannibal Lecter had me absolutely gasping for air.

I did think the whole Jack Black/Jessica Alba/Cloris Leachman thing was terrible, however, and that brought the episode down a bit for me. What the hell were they thinking writing that into the script?

WillG

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
I don't know. I did like the first parts (although I don't know how Dwight wouldn't have been fired, if not charged with reckless endangerment for the fire "safety" stunt). And yes, him wearing the CPR dummy's face on his was hilarious. But there was something that seemed pretty dark about this episode to me. And yeah, that movie thing was pretty pointless, although, I thought I had read something that said that Black, Leachman and Alba were supposed to show up in Scranton for reasons having to do with Andy's pirating of the film, which would seem to make more sense for that movie subplot to exist (also giving Jack Black and ironic turn considering his role in "Be Kind Rewind") But I could be remembering that completely wrong.

I also don't like how Angela changed Garbage's name to Bandit (I'm assuming it's supposed to be the same cat)

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ree