What's new

The Monkees: Season 1 box set ... May 13th? (1 Viewer)

James_Garner

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Garner
I will be getting this set eventually; however, i have a different question. The version of "Monkees Vs. Machine" on Rhino's "Monkees: Our Favorite Episodes" retains the original Kellogg's-sponsored end credits. Does the version on the season one set (or any other episode on the set, for that matter) retain the sponsored end credits? if i had to choose between having the original Screen Gems Logo & having the original product-sponsored closing credits, I would have to go with...
K E double-L o double-good, kelloggs, back to you

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
James, I don't know about the dvd's, but the original boxed set of all Monkee's episodes contained the sponsor's logo on the end credits.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Okay, I'm a sucker for all Monkees releases. I was going to buy this no matter what Rhino did, but is this worth it for everyone else?

Rhino again gets huge marks in the packaging department. The Monkees VHS box set was a remarkable replica of a 60s TV. This DVD set comes as a (scaled-down) replica of a portable record player with built-in speaker. The basic package is a hinged case, which holds a thin slipcase for the six discs. The DVDs themselves are housed in six cardboard sleeves designed after picture sleeves from actual Monkees 45s. An attractive and compact package. My only complaint is that the cardboard sleeves might eventually scratch the DVDs. I will be looking into small inner bags for these.

Underneath the slipcase is a thin booklet with a very cursory history of the show. This booklet is a scrap compared to the lavish and detailed booklet contained in the VHS box set, which included trivia on each episode plus reprints of articles of the day about the show.

The episodes themselves are presented remastered by Rhino from 35mm elements. The quality varies based on source material, but is generally very strong. It seems likely, however that these transfers are the same ones used on the VHS versions. Hints of digital noise reduction and edge enhancement are common, but not extremely noticable. Occasionally, a subtle rainbow-like color shimmer is visible. At first glance, however, the image is quite sharp with great color saturation and proper black levels. A couple of episodes and some of the edited musical "romps" have shots of questionable quality, but this is probably due to extra generations of film generated for effects, editing or titles.

As with the VHS box set, these episodes are the original broadcast versions, not the syndicated versions prevalent in the 80s. All shows contain the opening credits, songs and closing credits (some with Kelloggs products!) as originally aired.

All episodes are presented with a choice of 5.1 or 2.0 audio. The 5.1 audio is basically the mono (2.0) audio passed through some echo or reverb unit. Some of the bonus material has bad audio hiss, but the shows themselves have very clean soundtracks (on the 2.0 track). On each disc, you can also elect to play just the "romps" (musical sequences) from the episodes.

The bonus features in this set aren't exhaustive, but are definitely worth the attention of Monkee fans. First and foremost, there are several audio commentaries in this set. The producers have obviously opted for quality over quantity. Only seven of the 32 episodes have commentary, but five of those have multiple commentaries. There are very few lulls in these commentaries, with plenty of interesting tidbits included. James Frawley weighs in on his first directing gig, teaching the Monkees to improvise, and thoughts on style of humor. Peter Tork, Davy Jones and Michael Nesmith all provide fascinating reminiscenes about working in TV and how they dealt with the Monkee phenomenon. Even co-creator Bob Rafelson is very talkative and interesting as he talks about what led him to create the show as well as the more artsy influences you might not immediately imagine as part of The Monkees.

Also included in the set is the original pilot as shown to test audiences before the Monkees even had songs to record. Instead, this version features performances by songwriters Boyce & Hart. This film is unfortunately in bad shape, with scratchy audio and faded color. The differences between this pilot and the version presented as episode 10 are minor, but as a historical document, it's fascinating to Monkees fans. A reel of sponsor spots for cereal and cologne (!) is in similar condition but is nonetheless amusing.

There is also a 25 minute video interview with producer/songwriter Bobby Hart that is interesting if not essential. Hart talks briefly about how he became part of the Monkees phenomenon.

Each episode has a few on-screen pages of trivia, obtained from an internet web site. Lastly, there is a gallery of stills and memorabilia, including a memo listing many actors who never made it past the audition stage.

The Monkees Season One on DVD represents a good effort from Rhino, but one with some missed opportunities (how about remastering the music for 5.1 from the session tapes, hmmm?) Their work on audio and video remastering is a bit dated, but holds up quite well on the newer medium. For Monkees fans, this is a fair upgrade if you already own the VHS editions. The commentaries are definitely an interesting listen and, unlike the VHS version, the episodes are presented in original broadcast order.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review Derek. I pre-ordered mine and I'm glad I did, and at $1.50 an episode, how can you go wrong?

Jonathan W

Agent
Great box set! My only complaint is more personal. The box I purchased was slightly damaged, although I couldn't tell until I unwrapped the plastic. The lid is slightly crushed on one side, with a tear along one of the seams (this is common in older board games where the cover has a corner edge that is ripped and ceases to hold two of the sides together). Is this basis enough for an exchange?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone watched these yet? I started last night.

The 5.1 audio is pretty bad! It's way too "boomy". The 2.0 audio is pretty quiet, which is easily solved by turning up the receiver, but it scares the crap out of me every time I go to the main menu where the volume is normal (i.e. very LOUD since I've turned up the volume)

Also, has anyone listened to the commentaries? I started listening, but I was a bit disappointed...Since these guys haven't seen the episodes in a long time, they just basically sit there and laugh at the jokes. I didn't listen for too long, is there any particular one that is good?

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I just recently got this as a gift and I've spent the last 15 minutes just trying to PLAY the fifth episode on disc 1, "The Spy That Came in from the Cool." When I press "Play Episode," it freezes on the menu. Same happens on the scene selection menu. I can't press Play, Menu, or anything except Stop, so I don't really know what to do here. Is this a common problem or did I get a faulty disc? The other four episodes played fine.

I have a Toshbia SD-1600. If it's a faulty disc, I'd hate to have to return the entire set (although I haven't watched episode six or any of the last five discs so who knows if they work too). Would Rhino provide a replacement?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
{in funny Micky voice}: Resurrect, you thread. I commmmmmand you!! {gawks at the camera}

I just bought both Monkees sets from an ebayer and since I complained about it taking so long to get it the seller sent out a second set. Very nice. Instant replacement in case of damage.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

So...both arrived damaged. ;) Set 1 with the box damaged described in an earlier post by someone else; tear along one corner. I groaned at that but would've been okay with it (a little tape and it's fixed). Bigger problem was DVD 1 from set one had glue all over it, from the paper sleeve I presume. It was also scratched underneath the glue after I cleaned it. DVD 5 of Set 2 has lightly scratched as well. My only complaint about the content was the horrible 5.1 mix mentioned earlier. Otherwise Rhino did a fine job with the content. Very nice. I couldn't ask for more fun than these 2 sets. Just awesome even with the muffled 2.0 sound mix. It's the Monkees! :emoji_thumbsup: But this packaging is awful in use.

Has anyone had to send some DVDs back to Rhino for replacements? I'd rather not open the second sets of these the seller sent me, instead send them back since they were so nice to send all of these. Does anyone know a phone number to call? I sent an email detailing my problems but so far nothing.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
That's cool.

I forgot to mention that the unopened sets (still in the shipping boxes) are making the sounds of "floaters". All Rhino had to do was include cheap paper sleeves for each DVD. Since old LPs has paper sleeve it would've been a charming (and necessary) addition to the flawed design.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
This is a great example of a set that looks awesome but is just totally impractical. First off, it's absolutely huge--the actual box that holds the discs is about 1/4 of the size of the entire box. The paper sleeves look cool but after several uses, the discs slide out way too easily.

I had a problem with the first disc when I first purchased it, but had to get the entire set replaced (never contacted Rhino, but only because I'd only just started the set and the box was a bit damaged so I figured a full replacement would be best). I'm only on disc 4 of my new set but it works perfectly so far.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I wish Rhino had done something to protect the case. These sure cost enough to justify something better than what they put into the case. For the DVDs a album type DVD holder. The nice cardboard LP reproductions could've been included in a booklet or made small enough to slide into the sleeve of the DVD album.

At any rate I have to admit I've been thrilled with this set even with it's problems. This show has more than held up from my childhood. I"m lovin' it!

alphanguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
I have a question about picture quality. I was considering buying this set, but didn't because I first puchased the "My favorite episodes" DVD, and found the picture quality abhorrent. the film prints used in that release were FILTHY, (Especially on "Fairy tale") and don't want to spend a bunch on this complete set if the picture quality is the same. Can anyone help me out on this? Compared to the My Fave episodes disc, the columbia house VHS from the 80's were much celaner.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I don't have the "My Favorite Episodes" disc to compare it to, but the picture quality is pretty bad, but not unwatchable. Lots of pops and scratches and muted colors.

alphanguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
thanks for the info. Looks like I'm going to be waiting for them to do a frame by frame cleanup on this puppy before I purchase. It doesn't even have to be as pristine and gorgeous as what they did to Space:1999, it just needs to be as clean and clear as the freakin Partridge family sets!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Yeah, I'm happy to have all the episodes to watch, but the image quality won't make you put on your Micky wig and sing I'm a Believer.

Funny, Flipper from MGM looks leagues better than the Monkees or the Partridge Family. Lets have The Monkees matching Flipper!!

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully in the future the episodes will be reissued in a more conventional-looking set with slim cases, covering the entire series, with (wishful thinking!) a widescreen transfer of Head, with a stereo soundtrack!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks