What's new

The Monkees: Season 1 box set ... May 13th? (1 Viewer)

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't there a modern-day 30th Anniversary episode of The Monkees written by the Nez? That needs to be released too.

Jeff F.

Second Unit
I believe there was a 30th anniversary movie that aired on ABC in 1997 called "Hey, Hey, It's the Monkees." Nesmith wrote it, and it was pretty much the guys doing the same schtick they did in the original series - only now they were in their '50s. I don't recall it being very good, but it would make for a great bookend to the box sets.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
What HAS to be done, as I said before is a deluxe Complete Series set, with a letterboxed stereo Head, the 1969 special, and the 30th Anniversary special.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
...a widescreen transfer of Head, with a stereo soundtrack!
I am at least content that Monkees expert Andrew Sandoval confirmed that they transferred the whole 35mm frame for the DVD. Sandoval wasn't positive the image was intended to be widescreen, but I agree that it likely should have been. I also doubt the materials exist to fully do a stereo mix of the film. Maybe some of the music, but not everything.

alphanguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Well... If Space:1999 can get the full treatment, maybe Rhino will pop for a "Restored" version of The Monkees, once theyv'e bled the "crappy" version dry. That's the latest M.O. in the entertainment industry, sell the same product to the consumer 3 or 4 times. If flipper is that good, I just may have to pick that set up. Like I said, if the Monkees set were as good as the Partridge family, I'd been satisfied with that, but it's a total crying shame when a columbia house VHS from 1986 looks better than the DVD release. DVD releases seem to be very uneven, I was qlso quite dissapointed with the screechy audio in the Bob Newhart sets, it seems these studios need some quality control.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I hear ya. I've been watching All in the Family heavily over the past few weeks. I'm on S2 and I'm shocked at how awful they look. I'd guessed they were apart of shows that were damaged in a warehouse fire at Columbia or something. It's tough to go from Flipper to AitF.

Yeah, pick up Flipper. Don't waste time/money renting it. If you're a fan you won't be disappointed in the quality. No extras (well, a Flipper quiz) is the only thing wrong. Hopefully they'll try to dig up some extras for the next season release. The 2 actors who played the kids Sandy & Bud are still around. Halpin appeared in the 1996 Flipper movie with Elijah Wood and Paul Hogan. I'm sure he'd be up for a short interview....episode commentary?

Aaron Handy III

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Handy III
Wishful thinking, Robert Rafelson's 110-minute letterboxed stereo director's cut of HEAD and the original uncut 1965 pilot (the one which was rejected; I've recieved word that a print exists) can be part of it as well.

All of The Monkees' film & TV projects in one DVD set. Can't beat that. 8)

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Is a Monkees rerelease coming or is this just hopes? I was thinking about getting these soon but now I may hold off. I did get that older Space1999 for 40 dollars about a year and one half ago and only just started watching them a week before the new one was announced. Love the show but dipping in again is out of the question right now.

I am leary of Rhino right now, something odd seems to be going on with their TV on DVD lines that makes me want to buy up what they have now for fear of never seeing them again.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
because WMG is run by idiots, they've laid off a lot of folks at Rhino in the past few weeks. I've been told that Shout Factory is run by former-Rhino folks so expect it to pick up the slack

progrocktv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Phil
All I can say if you're planning on getting them, GET THEM NOW!

I checked Amazon and looks like Season 1 is already out of print and I'm still looking.

Anyone know anyone else selling them?

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
DVD Pacific has it listed as "on order", which may not be a good sign.

Any thoughts on the possibility that Rhino is prepping a reissue in "regular" packaging? They do tend to recycle Monkees product every few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks