What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The Mask of Zorro, starring Antonio Banderas, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Anthony Hopkins, gets a long-overdue upgrade to 4K from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

The Mask of Zorro (1998)

Released: 17 Jul 1998
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 136 min

Director: Martin Campbell
Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Romance, Thriller, Western

Cast: José María de Tavira, Diego Sieres, Emiliano Guerra, Yolanda Orizaga
Writer(s): Johnston McCulley (character Zorro), Ted Elliott (story), Terry Rossio (story), Randall Jahnson (story), John Eskow (screenplay), Ted Elliott (screenplay), Terry Rossio (screenplay)

Plot: A young thief, seeking revenge for the death of his brother, is trained by the once great, but aged Zorro, who also pursues vengeance of his own.

IMDB rating: 6.7
MetaScore: 63...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Watched this tonight in UHD via Vudu. Generally, it looked excellent but there was a weird artifact with the picture, where parts of the image would become overly saturated, but the effect would appear and disappear suddenly mid-shot. Anybody else experience this?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Watched this tonight in UHD via Vudu. Generally, it looked excellent but there was a weird artifact with the picture, where parts of the image would become overly saturated, but the effect would appear and disappear suddenly mid-shot. Anybody else experience this?
I did not notice this when watching via iTunes on my Apple TV 4K.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Time stamp?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I did not notice this when watching via iTunes on my Apple TV 4K.
The problem I had with the AppleTV version was that the opening text did not appear.

Time stamp?
47:03. I first noticed it in the scene where Alejandro steals the horse who will become the new Tornado. It seems to mainly affect shots with a lot of stucco or limestone; the tan shifts from slightly green to slightly pink and back again.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Thanks for a "Digital Review"!

I was searching to see if there was any digital reviews of Die Hard 4k when I stumbled on your 6 reviews! I'm happy to see these appearing on HTF and hope this will increase.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
47:03. I first noticed it in the scene where Alejandro steals the horse who will become the new Tornado. It seems to mainly affect shots with a lot of stucco or limestone; the tan shifts from slightly green to slightly pink and back again.
I'll take a look at the 4K digital then compare it to the 4K disc.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the text was missing in HD and not in 4K?
For me, the text disappears when I disable HDR (iTunes and Movies Anywhere). It truly is bizarre.

Apparently Netflix (which has 4K SDR only) is also textless.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I played back that scene several times on digital and disc without any color shift as noted by you.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The opening text was there for my viewing.
I checked again via the AppleTV app and it was there. I'm guessing it must not have loaded in 4K the first time I tried, for whatever reason.

I played back that scene several times on digital and disc without any color shift as noted by you.
Thanks for checking.

I'm wondering if it's an internet issue, and perhaps happens when it switches between bitrates or quality levels. It's the first and only title I've encountered the issue with, though.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
LOL I at a friend's place and she put this on Netflix and I said "oh here's where I learned, back in early DVD days, that I needed a larger TV" and I was specifically referring to the opening text, which quite pointedly was absent. I thought "am I nuts? did I confuse it for it's sequel?"

Fast forward a week and my UHD comes in, and there it is, clear as day. WTH happened?

Anyway, watched about 1/3 of the 4K disc (having just seen it I didn't need to go through the whole thing again) and I can vouch for the disc's excellent video and audio quality.

Plus, you get the opening text.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Anyway, watched about 1/3 of the 4K disc (having just seen it I didn't need to go through the whole thing again) and I can vouch for the disc's excellent video and audio quality.

Plus, you get the opening text.
And Dolby Atmos/TrueHD 7.1!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I just played it and the opening text was there playing in 4K/Dolby Vision. Am I missing something?
The opening text has always been there when watching via 4K / Dolby Vision -- we watched it right after the 4K version became available on iTunes, and the text was there. I think it's just when the film is played back in HD that the issue arises... or maybe it was without Dolby Vision.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just to add to the overall opening text problem, when I observed it at my friend’s place, her tv was standard HD with no HDR (it’s quite a few years old) and it wasn’t from iTunes. It was either Netflix or HBOGo. So the no text problem is evident outside of the iTunes variations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks